Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can iTunes library be split between to hard drives?

• 20-02-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My laptop has 2 x 250GB internal hard drives. I wish there was 1 500 GB one.

1 of them is nearly full with music only 2GB remaining and the other one has over 100GB remaining.

I'm wondering is it possible to split the location of the library between the 2 drives without too much trouble or is it messy or even possible?!

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Yes its possible
    The only way I know though is
    1. Create a new library
    2. Manually move your music files to the desired locations
    3. File - Add to library and select 1st location
    4. File - add to library and select 2nd location

There might be an easier way without having to create a new library but thats the only way I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

You can certainly have iTunes point to more than one location for music.

Backup your library file and then rebuild your iTunes library adding both locations (adding both top level folders).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

If I change the iTunes Media folder location in edit preferences to the other drive would this work or would it cause all the existing music to search for itself in the other drive where is is not located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

If you don't remove the original library file you will have multiple links to songs (old location and new location). Best of starting from scratch.

I think I have found an easier way- just change the folder location in preferences to the new drive location and say no when asked about the music folders being changed. My existing songs locations are not changed and any songs imported going forward are sent to the new drive location!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you make changes like Artist Name it won't rename the folder correctly them.

Ah, I see. So any changes going forward to the existing songs on the full drive will not save correctly or be added to the new library location file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yes its possible
    The only way I know though is
    1. Create a new library
    2. Manually move your music files to the desired locations
    3. File - Add to library and select 1st location
    4. File - add to library and select 2nd location

There might be an easier way without having to create a new library but thats the only way I know

Thats the only way I know how to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Have you looked into creating a spanned drive? This allows you to use two or more hard drives as one. You would end up with one 500GB C: drive spanned over the two physical drives. This can be done in control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management. Both drives must be dynamic for it to work.

Advertisement