Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxious about sweep

• 20-02-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,

I'm 40 weeks pregnant and had a check up at the hospital yesterday. The doctor I saw told me that if I haven't gone myself by next week, she'll do a sweep to try to get things started. This is my second baby.

The thing is, I'm very anxious about having it done. I find smears quite painful and when I was having my first child, I had to be induced and found all the internal exams to administer the induction gel and subsequently to check on progress absolute agony. I'm sure this was partly to do with the anxiety but it's also to do with the natural position of my cervix, it's anterior and hard to reach.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make the sweep a bit less of an ordeal? I know I have to try to relax a bit (easier said than done when you know what's coming!) but if anyone has any practical suggestions either (how to position myself etc. ) it would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Nicky30

I was 40+1 and my waters had already broke when i had a sweep done.

I too find smears painful :o

Deep breathing in through your nose and out of your mouth is the thing that worked for me.

Next day baby arrived :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why don't you tell the doctor you don't want one? I went 14 days over and a sweep was never even suggested to me. They are not required by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 erem

I could of course pwurple but I'm thinking it's the lesser of two evils if the alternative is induction! I have a feeling I won't go by myself, on my first there was nothing happening at all before induction. I found the whole experience awful and would rather avoid it again if possible. I've already told them that I want to be left the maximum 14 days before they induce this time and they've no problem with that but said they wouldn't leave me longer than that. I know sweeps can be more effective on subsequent pregnancies which is the only reason I'm considering it now. I suppose my thinking is that a few minutes of discomfort/pain during the sweep which might start labour naturally is preferable to the drawn out painful process that I experienced last time I was induced (I really didn't have a good experience). In an ideal scenario I'd go into labour myself without needing either process but I feel myself this won't happen.

Just to add I didn't have a sweep last time either, I was induced at 10 days over and it was never suggested at all. I'm under a different consultant this time though and I think he operates under slightly different policies to the one I was under last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, induction stories are awful alright. A few of my friends have some choice alternative words for that gel! And why they give the oxytocin without pain relief is beyond me.

But maybe they can leave the sweep off a little bit longer. Second labours often come on a small bit earlier than first. If you can delay the sweep another few days you might start yourself. Then you wouldn't have to decide between rock (sweep) and hard place (being induced). There's enough necessary pain in labour without throwing unnecessary pain at us too!

All I can suggest is take a paracetemol 30 mins before and bend your knees as far back on your chest as you can (not very far when pregnant!). That's what my new gp does for smears and i find it so much better than the feet on the bed way.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I might see how I feel when the appointment comes around next week. I'm at the stage where things are very uncomfortable anyway so I'm torn between wanting it to be over with and baby to be here whatever it takes and the unpleasant thoughts of the intervention(s)! A couple of times last week I have to say I felt like changing my mind about waiting the 14 days before asking for induction but thankfully I came to my senses and realised I'd definitely be better off waiting.

The gel is a horrendous old thing altogether- horrible, horrible pains with no progress at all for hours and hours.

Thanks for the tips, I'll take some paracetamol beforehand for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had to be induced on my first because my waters broke but I didn't go into labour. On the second pregnancy I went into labour at 40+1 with no help, so you could be lucky!

Here's hoping! Thanks January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

If you dont want one you dont have to have one - please dont be forced into something you donnot want to do - its your body and baby will come when its ready (sometimes). I had 2 sweeps on my second and they didnt work so had to be induced. On my third I refused to have a sweep done. Good luck

Advertisement