Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing bootmngr

Options
  • 20-02-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently recently did a system restore from dvds i had made for a dell vostro 1220, vista. The restore all seemed to go fine until i rebooted and i got the bootmngr missing message I tried a number of the suggested recovery and repair options from the boot disc to no avail. I decided I would try and install xp but kept getting a blue screen (error message not to hand)
    I also tried a win 7 dvd only for it to tell me it hadnt the drivers for the dvd. I ran a chjdsk /f on the hd. I also wiped the hd using an ultimate boot cd utility, reinstaled the original backup and all seemed to go good but back to square 1, bootmngr message. I did think the hd may be effed but i ran diagjostics and no errors reported. I also scanned for viruses.

Anything I have missed. I would take out the hd but it,s very awkward on this model and i'm not convinced it is the root of the problem.

Ta...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

If you've tried the normal options then take a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

It's likely that you only backed up the OS partition and missed the boot partition which means there's currently no boot loader to tell the computer where the Windows files are.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

Firstly Thanks,

Well i have already tried those suggestions off the ms website. Had no effect.
    I used the dell direct backup utility and it,s very straight forward. Assuming I have a dud backup, how do we explain the failures of the xp and win 7 install attempts?

I am using original Dell os cd,s.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

why did you feel you had to do the system restore in the first place ?

have you tried vivard on ubcd to chk the drive ... if not, read a possibly related post here

the owner of the PC had been scammed. If it was through the PC or not was questionable. Also the AVG software would not update, so it was a quick (ha, ha) way to diffuse those issues.

I'll try your suggestions and revert. Is vivard on ubcd 411?

Well I downloaded the ubcd52 and ran the vivard diagnostics and it reported no errors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Daft question but you're not using recovery discs from a different computer are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

missing bootmgr is easily fixed.

1. does the computer have 2 hard drives? if yes boot into the bios and change the boot order of the hard drives... somehow the wrong hard drive got changed to be the boot drive. switching them back will fix this issue.

2. if the second hard drive is a usb drive unplug the drive then boot the pc... if it works the usb drive is altering the boot order... to fix this boot into the bios and disable boot from usb device.

3. if the boot.mgr file is missing you need your windows vista disc to repair the boot up files. if you do not have a vista disc download a vista iso file from microsoft and slow burn (4x speed max) to dvd and then use that.

No question is too daft for this...

No I am not using recovery discs from another PC.

Freddy Smelly

1. No

2. NA

3. tried this from a the recovery cd, no affect.

On the issues that I mentioned about the xp and win 7 installs.
    The XP install still blue screened.
    Win 7, I am currently running an install from a different win 7 disc and it (so far) seems to be going fine. I googled the win7 install problem and other people were having the same issue where it wanted the cd/dvd drivers, using different install discs solved this for them.

I'll keep all posted, thanks for assistance so far.

xp install may have failed because the hard drive is set to ahci mode in the bios... xp setup program doesnt know how to use this mode.

you could boot to bios and set your hard drives to IDE mode... the xp install would work then

FS,

Well that wasn't something I was aware of.

SATA operations in the bios are:

disabled
    ata
    ahci (enabled)

Would ata or disabled have worked?

The Windows 7 install completed without a hitch.

As ever the boards community has been invaluable help.

• Advertisement

ftlnn wrote: »
    FS,

Well that wasn't something I was aware of.

SATA operations in the bios are:

disabled
    ata
    ahci (enabled)

Would ata or disabled have worked?

The Windows 7 install completed without a hitch.

As ever the boards community has been invaluable help.

ata = ide mode

ahci = sata mode

win 7 setup works with ahci mode but xp setup was made long before sata drives were invented.

Advertisement