Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to bridge two routers

Options
  • 20-02-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi

i want to bridge to routers so that i can internet access on my raspberry pi.

both routers are bridge compatable.

the main router is a Netgear N300 and the one i want to bridge is a

zyxel p-660HN-T1A.

I have tried bridging the routers but i'm not to sure on what to do and i would like some advice on how to do it.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do they support WDS or client bridge mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Jordan5372

the zyxcel i have is can be setup for router or bridge mode, i currently have it setup as bridge mode.

the netgear has a "repeater" setting which is the same as bridge. i have added the MAC address of the zyxcel router to the main router and clicked apply but nothing happens other than it reboots and i can see the mac address of the zyxcel in the client list but its status is "disconnected"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

WDS repeating isn't quite the same as WDS bridging. Are you sure that's the only option?

i have attached a screen shot of the settings and the repeater settings page.
    on the top of the settings you can see it says "add wps client" would that be anything to do with it?

241932.png

• Advertisement

Apparently the N300 doesn't support WPA on the repeater mode, so you'll need to compromise your security to get it to work.

yes, i had enable "no security" for the password for the router, but it didn't make any difference.

And did you also turn off the encryption on the main router to do so?

yes

what happens when it has sucsessfully connected? how can you check it has worked?

what is the general guidelines on how to do it ?

set up secondary router as bridge and add mac address to primary, apply settings. what happens next?

• Advertisement

Are both of these modem equipped routers? A quick google suggests they are.

yes they are.

I suspect you're out of luck. Combined modem/routers never play nice and act like standalone routers, since they expect other devices to be clients of them. They also tend not to be options for custom firmware either.

Advertisement