Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magdalene laundries

Options
  • 20-02-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, where was the magdalene laundry located in galway?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Forster St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do we know who they laundered for?
    Nationwide reports suggest the army, public hospitals, hotels, catering trade etc. I presume its the same in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tbernie07

Thanks for replies, thought it was there, what is that building used as now?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

snubbleste wrote: »
    Nationwide reports suggest the army, public hospitals, hotels, catering trade etc. I presume its the same in Galway

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Interesting piece in the Irish Times health supplement on Tuesday.

Apparently these houses opposite the Magdalene Laundry in Galway were originally built without windows upstairs facing onto the street because they would be overlooking the laundry, its inmates and activities.

Orders of the bishop at the time, or so I'm told.

tbernie07 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies, thought it was there, what is that building used as now?
    It's a convent still - the laundries weren't all that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The convent is still there, but I thought the laundray was a different building that's not gone. Not quite sure why I thought that, perhaps an article published when the statue was put up.

There's a plaque in St Patrick's church saying that part of the land for it was donated by the Sisters of Mercy. And I think that Bóthar what's-it-Brendan-something (between Prospect Hill and Forster St) wasn't originally a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I recently came across a map of Galway printed in 1918

The Magdalene Site is refered to as ''Magdalene Asylum''

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ashford Castle as of 1975.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I could be mistaken about this, but I believe the laundries were on the site of the apartments/town houses beside the convent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

My grandmother was reared in the house next door to St Patrick's church (the boarded up one to the left of the church as you face it) Her mother (my great-grandmother was a midwife, and was often called to help with the 'maggies' deliveries. My gran has stories of how they used to pass bits of bread through the gates to the women...Ill ask her some more next time Im on the phone to her, she's a mighty memory (unlike me)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

antoobrien wrote: »
    I could be mistaken about this, but I believe the laundries were on the site of the apartments/town houses beside the convent.

Anot is right. Where Anglo/St Padraigs Credit Union office's were (do not believe either offices are currently occupied) and the Duplex apartments was the site of the workhouse/laundries

Advertisement