Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension stuff

Options
  • 20-02-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭

I've just gone through all the pension stuff so I thought I would post a couple of observations. Mine are post-application gripes, but other people might have questions or observations in anticipation of pensions.

First, for all those who make noises about civil servants getting huge pensions, I end up with slightly under €1000 pa from my civil service job, and slightly over €1000 pa from my contributory oap. I'm not disputing these figures, but just because someone is seen to have retired from the civil service doesn't mean they are wealthy!

Second, I had to send off my birth cert and my marriage cert to Social Welfare in Sligo to claim my non con pension. Birth cert isn't too much of a problem, but if my marriage cert goes missing I doubt I would get another one. Fair enough, got them back ok. No, they don't accept notarised copies.

Then I apply for my travel pass - my pension comes via the uk apparently, even though I am resident here for 40 years. Usually passes are issued automatically if you are in receipt of a pension here, but I asked if I had to apply because my pension is coming through the UK, yes I do, and guess what? I have to send my marriage cert off to Sligo again! Do they not have computers?

Ok, got this off to a grousing start, maybe there are other pension stories out there.

Advertisement