Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior framed ledge and brace door

Options
  • 20-02-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi folks,

I am pretty new to woodworking but I fancy making a wooden door for my side entrance to the garage down the back of the garden. I am thinking of a framed ledge and brace door.

Does anyone know where I could source plans for this type of door? And what type of timber I should be using?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

You will need tongue and grooved sheeting usually 85-90mm coverage, 7 x 1 bottom rail. 4x1 centre and top rails and 2 no. 4x1 diagonal braces, a good exterior grade wood glue and a box of 4x 30 stainless or zinc coated screws. if you really want to go all out a handful of pellets or plugs and plug all the screw holes.

The timber sizes are not fixed but this works ok for me.
    You should be able to pick up that in a deal timber in most builders providers. make sure you treat it well or it wont last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Obviously a hard wood like mahogany or teak is a better job for any thing like that but deal might be ok but you will have to treat it every year or it just won't last if its getting wet and in the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SmasherC

Cheers for the feedback folks. I am going to get cracking on this at the weekend and I'll let you know how I get on.

Advertisement