Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2013 - What poet do you want to come up , regardless of the question [ HL ]

• 20-02-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Lads and ladies of English Higher Level 2013, who do you WANT ( not think) to come up ( ie , who would you do if you could) regardless of the question asked. We all have that hope of who we want to come up.
    So, what do you want?

What poet do you want to come up , regardeless of the question? 56 votes

MR. William Shakespeare
    0% 0 votes
    Wordsworth
    5% 3 votes
    Hopkins
    1% 1 vote
    Ms. Bishop
    5% 3 votes
    Adrienne Rich
    30% 17 votes
    Plath
    10% 6 votes
    Thomas Kinsella
    39% 22 votes
    Derek Mahon
    7% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Shakespeare. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭inthezone

I'd love it if I could bank on her, but the department are so unpredictable lately that I've got to look at the others, but... Sylvia Plath of course! ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Rich :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Bishop, love her, she's so simple yet deep and fascinating!

Anyone who relies solely on Plath is just setting themselves up for disaster, just sayin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Edgar Allan Poe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Bishop, love her, she's so simple yet deep and fascinating!

Anyone who relies solely on Plath is just setting themselves up for disaster, just sayin'!

Deep???? Rainbow, rainbow, rainbow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Methememb wrote: »
    Deep???? Rainbow, rainbow, rainbow
    and i let the fish go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Rich or Plath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Love for Bishop genuinely perplexes me. I'm on the Plathwagon myself, I love her poetry and it's so easy to write about, but I won't be relying on her.

After witnessing the shock/outrage/tears caused by Plath not coming up last year, I know full well not to rely on her (or anyone) :P

However, I'd endure killing my hand from writing a whole lot easier if I was able to write about her :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Bishop easiest poet the write on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Mahon all the way! He actually makes sense, which automatically makes his poetry more appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I find Bishop's poetry very difficult to write about, it also bores me. Plath is the most interesting poet we've studied and definitely the easiest to write about, for me anyway. Mahon is probably my second favourite poet on the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I know Adrienne Rich came up last year but seeing as how the Department are so unpredictable, they may try to prove a point by repeating the same poets or most of them again.

Rich actually really annoys me - the whole fact that a lot of poetry is about the failure of "the oppressor's language" to her but yet she spends her whole life writing poetry!

Other than that I'd hope for Plath or Bishop.. I don't like the rest of the other poets!

You know, in many ways, the absolute shneeaaaaakiness of the department is starting to remind me of the Gamemakers in the Hunger Games lately... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Willy Shaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Leahxo

I know Plath, Bishop & Rich inside out - any of the three and I'll be smiling! But I would love Plath to come up. <3

Also studying Mahon and Kinsella, just to be safe. I'm a repeat student, and I banked on Plath and Heaney to come up last year, and neither of them did. Luckily I had Rich as a back-up, but I didn't have her learned perfectly. My point is - don't take shortcuts. Learn four or five and you're sorted! :)

Screw Wordsworth, Hopkins and 'Willy Shaker', aha!

I don't find Bishop or Plath easy to write about at all to be honest! I don't find either of their poetry interesting really! Shakespeare's sonnets aren't too bad though. The only thing they can really ask about is the themes and it's style, or why it's still popular today. The questions for him are really limited so it makes it far easier to study him. My favourite would be him, then Mahon.

Gerard manely isn't that bad, his poetry is quite repetitive.
    God is great. I can't see how he was able to sit down and say ill write a poem on how God is A1 so many times though. Although an old poet , he wont be my last choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Leahxo

Does anyone think a poet will be marked much harder if a ridiculous amount of people were to choose that poet in the Leaving.. or does that sound stupid? I just feel that if Plath were to come up, everyone (almost, anyway) would write about her...

Am I making sense? Aha! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I love rich purely for the fact her poems are basically all about the same thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Bishop, Plath or Mahon

Can't cope if they don't!!!

Leahxo wrote: »
    Does anyone think a poet will be marked much harder if a ridiculous amount of people were to choose that poet in the Leaving.. or does that sound stupid? I just feel that if Plath were to come up, everyone (almost, anyway) would write about her...

Am I making sense? Aha! :)

Well, just say a corrector gets 50 scripts. Let's say 40 people (a bit over-exaggerated) answered their poetry question on Plath. As the corrector gets through each of the papers and keeps having to correct Plath essays, he/she is obviously going to compare one persons answer (who did Plath) with another candidates answer who did Plath. Just say your answer is lacking in a theme which is mentioned in a different answer, the corrector will see this as it won't be as good as the previous answer he/she read, so you will more than likely be marked lower. And it continues on and on until the corrector is finished.

But say 2 or 3 people did Bishop (for example). The corrector won't be bored out of their mind and they'll more than likely be happy that they don't have to correct their 20th Plath essay in a row :rolleyes:

I'm really bad at explaining all of this, but I really think that if a corrector gets almost all Plath answers, the majority will get a lower mark than the 1 or 2 people that answered on a different poet (taking all the students have the same standard of English).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

"write about Plaths's strikingly dark imagery and themes."
    If I see this in June I will jizz my pants I think.

Conversely, "To what extent does Rich fuse the personal and the political in her poetry"
    I think I would cry.

hmm , this poll was not suppose to close till the 6/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Wordsworth 4 Lyfe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 MrCraigButler

Wordsworth is simple to write about and they are very limited to what they can ask about him. Would love to see him or Hopkins /Plath to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DolorousHaze

I would love a question on Mahon or Plath, but because I have a feeling this year's Plahon may be a repeat of last year's Pleaney incident, I'm studying five poets as well as I possibly can - Bishop, Plath, Rich, Mahon and Kinsella. Learn from the 2012ers' mistakes, rather than making them yourself. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

i have a strong feeling that plath and mahon will not come up

• Advertisement

Any of you who like
    Bishop
    , or find answering the questions with that poet relatively easy, could you help me out with this question ? :P

The question is :
    We gain Profound thoughts through vivid moments of perception in Bishop's poetry. Discuss.
    (I've spoilered this as it's a question from the Examcraft mock paper, and I don't think everyone has done their mocks yet! I have to do this for homework over the weekend)

But yeah, what could I write about? We haven't done much questions on this poet at all so I'm fairly clueless. If anyone could help I'd be grateful!

Advertisement