Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dad can't go to Confirmation

• 20-02-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Would really appreciate some advice. My husband has to go abroad to start a job. Unfortunately, this coincides with our daughters confirmation. She is distraught. I've no idea of what to say to her, but she's really teary, worried something will happen her dad and just so, so sad.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to handle this....thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Just explain to her that while her big da is important to him too he has to do this for his career also.

Would he be able to ring/skype her during that day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Thanks Orion....that might be a plan! It's just a teary age..... and don't want to make too much of a fuss about her Dad not being there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Thanks Orion....that might be a plan! It's just a teary age..... and don't want to make too much of a fuss about her Dad not being there.

You could organise a family day out to celebrate her confo before the father leaves?

That's very true Boombastic....we might try that. Her Dad will be home this weekend, so maybe the two of them could go out for a hot chocolate and chat.

Thanks for all the help folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It might be worth checking if your daughter could make her confirmation in another parish at a time when her father could attend. A friend of ours had to to that when her confirmation clashed with a family wedding abroad.

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    It might be worth checking if your daughter could make her confirmation in another parish at a time when her father could attend. A friend of ours had to to that when her confirmation clashed with a family wedding abroad.

Thanks so much echo beach. She would still need to be with school friends.....she's so shy. We will soldier on with the hot chocolate...but I really appreciate you taking time to reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Hi

I'm the Mam of two girls aged 12 and 13. I would guess that your daughter's upset may be more about the changes in you house than the confirmation. Kids worry so much more than we think about lots of things.

Kids worry about money, about parents splitting up, starting secondary school, leaving her friends from primary and all sorts of thing. One of mine can burst into tears for any reason its a very difficult age with the onset of puberty and all the hormones and worries that it brings and add to that her Dad working away from home.

I think you are right that she needs to make her confirmation with her friends, they are so important to little kids. Could you go to the same restaurant as some of the other families from her class afterwards and maybe next time her Dad is home after the confirmation could he bring her and a friend or to out for a treat.

Good luck, reassure her that things are fine, that her Dad has not left you or her (this idea has probably not even crossed your mind but it may be on hers especially if she reads books like Jacqueline Wilson) and that there is nothing to worry about and try to get her to talk if she is worried.

Thank you so much Mr. Muddle.....your Jacqueline Wilson suggestion was spot on! She has just read Lola Rose, so I do think you are absolutely spot on! Lots of insecurities going round in her little head. (Who would wish to be that age again!!!)

Really appreciate the help. I've booked a bite to eat with one of her friends. I'm sure that time will help.

Thanks though....it was so kind of you!

Advertisement