Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What determines the thread of that day?

Options
  • 20-02-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I don't get it. I never usually click it but I have the last two days now and yesterday it was something as equally fleeting as this, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056884640.
    Nothing wrong with that thread but I can't see what warrants it as thread of the day.
    What are the determining factors?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's random.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Shouldn't it be the most viewed thread of that day or something? Or would that just make something like a bargains thread always the thread of the day perhaps?
    Or possibly the most posted in thread, probably resulting in the same result...
    Perhaps the most thanked OP.
    Perhaps!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Methods like that would just lead to AH or soccer dominating everything else. It's what happened to post of the day since it was thanks based, where Cool Vids and Pics would always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Spear wrote: »
    Methods like that would just lead to AH or soccer dominating everything else. It's what happened to post of the day since it was thanks based, where Cool Vids and Pics would always win.
    Before it was thanks based was it also random?

Before it was thanks based was it also random?

Can't remember to be honest, it was some time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We should probably have a nominate system whereby people can nominate a post of the day thus avoiding the cool vids and pics and links / weather updates showing up continually in POTD.

The random nature of TOTD makes it completely pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

It's not entirely random in the true sense of the word.

* Thread has to be opened after midnight the previous day.
    * Has to still be open to replying.
    * Can't be from any private forum or Personal/Relationship Issues and a few others.
    * Must have 4 replies or more.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82212086

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

We should probably have a nominate system whereby people can nominate a post of the day thus avoiding the cool vids and pics and links / weather updates showing up continually in POTD.

The random nature of TOTD makes it completely pointless.

But wouldn't a "nominate" system be just the same as the Thanks system? Would you not end up with people in Cool Vids just nominating the same post in YLYL that would have been POTD anyway?

You could remove Cool Vids from the system that a post in that forum can't be POTD,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I always thought:

Posts with an image attachment/URL: Picture of the day
    Posts without an image/URL: Post of the day

Edit: and obviously then based on thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Newaglish wrote: »
    I always thought:

Posts with an image attachment/URL: Picture of the day
    Posts without an image/URL: Post of the day

Edit: and obviously then based on thanks
    I like! Probably a little difficult - for e.g. a post in politics might contain an embedded picture with graphs or something and a wall of text. Really that should be post of the day, but instead it gets picture of the day.

Perhaps some kind of conflated algorithm where if there's an image and less than (say) 50 characters, it's treated as an image, otherwise it's a post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Yeah, that would make sense. While I don't think politics will ever feature in that regard (or very, very rarely), sometimes you will get weather posts with images and a huge number of thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Can one of the admins not just read all of the posts and decide which one is the best?

Simples :p

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Disable thanks for cool vids, problem solved.

Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Disable thanks for cool vids, problem solved.

Heh.
    Noooooooo...... Then how would I evaluate pre determined funnies? I'd actually have to read them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Can one of the admins not just read all of the posts and decide which one is the best?

Simples :p

All of them?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement