Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games could you never beat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFVIII is pretty easy, the problem is figuring out who the fecking game works. I'd say you were well prepared for the final boss. I was in a similar situation, I used summons through the whole game only to realise towards the end that they were useless and that junctioning magic to your stats totally broke the games difficulty. If you understand that and how levelling up abilities for your GF's works then the game becomes about breaking the battle system of the game and it's a lot of fun. I'm also pretty sure you can leave the final area of FFVIII but then since all enemies level up with you grinding wouldn't really have helped if you didn't understand the system.
    Can't remember it too well but remember breezing through the whole game till that point. Found the boss battle easy enough till (think there was a count down clock) the very end and then just got destroyed at the same part over and over again.
    Never realised that the enemies were levelling up as well. Vaguely remember going off grinding and returning only to get killed at the same point.
    Picked up FF7 for the PC so must have a gander and see if I can find 8 again and give it another go. Always bothered me not completing it.Sank so much time into it and always felt I cheated myself by giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Polar101

All console action games that require combo attacks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Meatwad wrote: »
    Can't remember it too well but remember breezing through the whole game till that point. Found the boss battle easy enough till (think there was a count down clock) the very end and then just got destroyed at the same part over and over again.
    Never realised that the enemies were levelling up as well. Vaguely remember going off grinding and returning only to get killed at the same point.
    Picked up FF7 for the PC so must have a gander and see if I can find 8 again and give it another go. Always bothered me not completing it.Sank so much time into it and always felt I cheated myself by giving up.

FFVII is a hell of a lot simpler.

I don't blame you for getting stuck on the final boss. I found it a massive jump in difficulty. I got there as well not even playing the game properly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I never completed original super mario. :( . I know I will turn in my gamer card.

I was thinking that battle toads would be quite high on each gamers list. Ultimate challenge? Do it in coop! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I never completed Dead Space 2. Got to the last boss but due to lack of ammo/firepower I would keep dying before finishing it.

Final boss(without the water sword) in Prince of Persia Warrior Within

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh god, loads of games. I don't thrive on beating that level after 100 attempts. I give up well before that. Don't like games being too hard, as the frustration takes away from my enjoyment. Some notable mentions:

Dark Souls - Very, very early on. Fcuk that game.
    Battletoads on the GB - That level...
    Any Final Fantasy game - More to do with refusing to accept the crappy combat system.
    Bomberman: Act Zero - Nothing to do with difficulty, just so bad that it would be impossible to continue.
    Wizards and Warriors 3
    Vanquish - Just not my type of game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can add Viewtiful Joe as well here, I think. Got to BRuce but after the 10th time dying, I got bored of playing the bit before him over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

FF VIII gave you detailed tutorials explaining everything and let you review them whenever you wanted from that point on. How could you not figure it out?

Even if you were relying on using GFs in battle, the game gives you a massive hint about half way through that you shouldn't rely on GFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Vanquish - Just not my type of game.

I'm about to start Vanquish. Is it very difficult? Don't want to have another very frustrating experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Level 38 of Candy Crush Saga on FB.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ninja gaiden black Xbox

Project IGI pc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

R-Type, could beat the first 5 worlds only, always died on the transport system level. Spent a LOT of 10p coins on it when younger.

Plenty of other games I've not finished, but that was a decision of not wasting my time on them, not because I got stuck.

Currently working through Dark Souls blind, which I've seen mentioned here a few times. I'm chasing down something called lordvessel in Anor Londo. Can't see myself giving up any time soon, although I might resort to looking stuff up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Football Manager. Won 50 European Cups and it didn't seem like the game was going to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Space invaders.

Every time I thought I had them, another wave appeared:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I could never stop the nuke at the end of the original operation flashpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

I'm about to start Vanquish. Is it very difficult? Don't want to have another very frustrating experience.

I found it easy to beat, hammered through it in about 6 hours, loved the combat but terrible story. Probably the worst computer game story I have ever experienced.
    I still occasionally play it when I don't feel like playing anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

MASK on C64 still dont know how to get past the missile on level 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ninja gaiden black Xbox

Project IGI pc

Project IGI? That wasn't that hard was it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quarryman wrote: »
    Project IGI? That wasn't that hard was it?

The super human AI later on go beyond frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I remember staying up late for nights on end playing Zelda on the Gameboy but I never got to the end. The last recollection I have of the game was going around with a shovel digging up every inch of ground looking for a leaf.

When we got to college there was one arcade game in the college bar - Pang. We got pretty good at Pang but could never get beyond a certain level. There was one mature student who was amazing at the game. He was a quiet kind of guy with a long pony tail and a beard, we reckoned him for an engineer, but he was The Pang King.

The first time we saw him play he cleared the level we had been stymied by without breaking a sweat. That was when the chant began: Pang King...Pang King...Pang King!!

Later that night over pints the Pang King told us that he had only ever beaten the Pang machine once. The machine returned his 20p piece by rolling it back out of the money slot to signal his victory.

The Pang King's story gave us the strength and hope we needed to carry on in our own balloon battles and from that day forward whenever we met the man the cry went up: Pang King! Pang KING!! PANG KING!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

I could never beat the last boss in Midnight Resistance, I could always get to the end boss but I was never a very patient Shoot 'em upper... I just kept shooting and didn't try and dodge bullets!

Thank god for Emulators about 10 years later!!

MidnightResistanceFinalBoss.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

DarkJager wrote: »
    Revenge of Shinobi - That final maze level and the Neo Zeed boss were just ridiculously hard.

one of my longest gaming memory, couldn't beat it with cheats! Couldn't even get out of that fecking maze. gonna youtube it now for curiosity.

edit: wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

For the record, I did beat Revenge of Shinobi and I got the good ending too. :cool:
    That was when I was 12 or so, no way in Hell could I do it again today, strange how that works.
    I never experienced any of the problems others are posting about, with the final bosses in Sonics 2 and 3. Then again, I did play the living crap out of those games.

But the game I never got to beat, Terminator 2 on C64. It wasnt through lack of trying either. That game was feckin hard. I used to be able to get to level 8, the van driving stage, but have so little health left I wouldnt last longer than a minute. I got to level 9 once! (The final stage) But was knocked out almost immediatly.

Plenty other games I could never beat, but that one stands out in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Buck Bumble on N64. I don't remember being able to save my game, or maybe I didn't have enough memory on my console - that might've been why I never made it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

This game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wanna_Be_the_Guy

I can't even get past the third screen. Poxy poxy hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Battletoads on the GB took me ages to complete. One time I eventually got to the last level when the fùckin' batteries in the Gameboy popped and it cut out.

I couldn't face the game for years after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Zombi (Amiga):
    Played it a good few times donkeys years ago as a teenager but not enough to beat it - I eventually emulated the game about 1-2 years ago to personally beat it - Unfortunately, walkthroughs were used so it doesn't count, really.

Sweet Jebus I've been trying to remember what that game was called for years lol Downloading it tonight :D

For me the game I could never Finish was Spellbound on the Amstrad cpc464 and Raid Over Moscow C64.
    i've just picked up Raid over Moscow on my iphone today so should get stuck into that now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace on PS1, man that game was hard, I never got past Mos Espa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Back to the Future 3 game. Couldn't even get past the 1st level!!

back-to-the-future-3-pc-game-screenshot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You need to memorise it.
    I completed this game when I was about 10 somehow , went back on emulator to try it recently...thinking ... I am a grown man now, surely my skills are way beyond what they used to be.
    Also, when playing I realised the music is an edit of "Riders in the sky"

I raged after about 10 minutes trying.

Advertisement