Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games could you never beat?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You need to memorise it.
    I completed this game when I was about 10 somehow , went back on emulator to try it recently...thinking ... I am a grown man now, surely my skills are way beyond what they used to be.
    Also, when playing I realised the music is an edit of "Riders in the sky"

I raged after about 10 minutes trying.

Ah, must've been a poor copy of the game. Wasn't your fault. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Donkey Kong Country.

For some reason I can't get past one of the levels set in the factory world.

What's weirder still is I can speedrun DKC2 blindfolded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Icaras wrote: »
    I found it easy to beat, hammered through it in about 6 hours, loved the combat but terrible story. Probably the worst computer game story I have ever experienced.
    I still occasionally play it when I don't feel like playing anything else.
    Are you sure you beat it in 6hrs?

The game only counts your fastest time in a particular segment and excludes deaths, e.g. if you take 20 mins but die once it'll only show 10mins on the counter.

Also, I'm very very certain the story is bad on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Zombies for the SNES. Got to level 48? I think and then the giant spider would kick my ass every time. Devastating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fcuking Treasure Island Dizzy -_-
    Ive ranted about it numerous times but it had me beaten for the bones of 20 years.
    Eventually got it with a guide. The game can be beaten in under 20 minutes :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Very rarely can't finish a game, but these four were tough!

Turtles on the NES - Simply impossible!

R-Type on the Amiga500 - Only lasted a few minutes max per game.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES - I don't think I made it past the 3rd level!

The Las Ninja 2 on Commodore 64 - Getting to the end and having to start the whole game over again was a bridge too far too many times!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Crash Bandicoot 1 - Slippery Climb is just impossible for me to get past.

Streets of Rage 1 - Could only get as far as the final boss's door

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Christ you just reminded me. I could never beat R-type 1 and 2. Even on the PS1 versions with infinite credits I could never beat the last boss of each.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

When I was a kid I could never beat Scar at the end of the Lion King on Megadrive. No idea why. I imagine if I want back and played it now it would be trivially easy, but at the time I just couldn't manage it.

Similarly Terminator 2 for the MD. Those ****ing driving sections were bad enough, but being forced to traverse all the levels collecting 'future objects' just takes the biscuits.

For the longest time (four or five years anyway) Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan remained incomplete due to my physical inability to pass the spinny wheels at the end of Ready Steady Go. No idea why I couldn't manage it. Passed it a few months ago, and it was like getting a hit of pure, uncut joy into the veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Ninja Gaiden 2. That motherfvcker drove me spare. in the end i couldnt even have it in the house. i had to trade it. it was taunting me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

HTML5! wrote: »
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES - I don't think I made it past the 3rd level!
    That's the first game that came to mind for me. I thought it was because I was just a kid when I played it first (it took me a number of years to finish Mario All Stars), so I bought SG&G when it came out on the GBA too. Couldn't finish it there either :)

There's other games I gave up on because the challenge wasn't fun, like Ninja Gaiden and Viewtiful Joe. Others mentioned here (Super Meat Boy, Trials HD) were great fun, even though hard and repetitive, and I stuck with them to the end.

Some games, mainly RPGs, I didn't level up enough to complete (Paper Mario on the GC), or put down and became lost when I tried to go back to it (FFVII).

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

GTA IV :(

The mission where you need to kill everyone in the burning building and then hop on a motorcycle and jump to a helicopter.

I must have tried jumping to the helicopter 50 million times but it always eluded me.

Got so fed up I didn't play it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There are loads of games I didn't complete. Lost interest etc. But the games I wanted to but couldn't beat that stand out:

Paradroid -C64
    Loved this game. Just couldn't do it though.

Demon Souls - PS3
    Feck this game. I grew to hate it passionately. It sapped my zest for life but I continued to play it out of hatred. Eventually common sense prevailed and I destroyed tr game in a ritual of fire with lots of Juju dancing rather than trading it in and having some other poor unfortunate suffer a similar fate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I dont remember being able to beat Robocop Vs Terminator on the Mega Drive. As if the game wasn't hard enough, the Skynet boss was a bitch. That, and KOTOR on PC. Made it to the last boss, but my power distribution and group character choices were not what I needed (and didn't set a save beforehand so I'm stuck on that last run up to the final room:().

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Had to be gremlins on the original gameboy. Second boss was the fruitbat gremlin who kept swiping down and dropping tomatoes on me. Pain in the ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Road Rash 2 on the megadrive, I think the vermontrace track.

Also Kaswasaki Superbikes, the japanese track - the ai racers got a ridiculous speed bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Metal Gear Solid 2 European Extreme. The choking button mash sections near the end were literally impossible without a modded controller. Drove me bananas as a wee lad. :o

Halo 2 on legendary difficulty. Somehow managed to get to the last boss battle after all the bullsh!t snipers insta killing me about hundred times. Never managed to beat the boss after all that.

Ninja Gaiden Black on master ninja. Somehow beat the game on very hard, tbh I was afraid to try master ninja so kinda doesn't count. :P

Playing Shogun 2 and it really has stepped it up in terms of difficulty compared to prior installment. A lot of it been cheap mind you: AI creating massive armies out of nothing, a rigged diplomacy system where everyone's out to get you etc.

Mind you, most games released nowadays seem much easier on their hardest difficulty compared to past generations. Not than I'm complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Had to be gremlins on the original gameboy. Second boss was the fruitbat gremlin who kept swiping down and dropping tomatoes on me. Pain in the ass

This was Gremlins 2 right? If so, then I second that post. I actually don't think I ever made it as far as the second boss.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Also Cannon Fodder and Wardner on the Megadrive, think I only got to level 6 on Cannon Fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

This was Gremlins 2 right? If so, then I second that post. I actually don't think I ever made it as far as the second boss.
    Yep thats the one. Makes me angry thinking about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Couldn't beat that fecker at the end of Gears of War...

I am fail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

The final level of Streets of rage. Dear god the sheer mental anguish at having to do the whole thing over again. *Shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Steve O wrote: »
    The final level of Streets of rage. Dear god the sheer mental anguish at having to do the whole thing over again. *Shudders*

Used to play it with mates and I always ended up screwing them over at the end and taking the boss up on his offer just to fight each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Kessler in INfamous on Hard difficulty. I played the whole game on hard and then at the end dropped down to normal so I could beat him. I had always planned on going back and replaying the final fight in hard to bear him but too many games have gotten in the way. Maybe reading this thread, I might actually go back now.

Advertisement