Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has a TV show ever made you cry?

• 21-02-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭

Shamelessly nicked from the games forum, but I thought it would be a fun topic. There is probably better scope for TV shows to make you cry than games, so lets hear your stories. Spoilers, obviously.... please use spoiler tags.

For the men who don't want to admit to crying, you can say that something got in your eye instead. During a sad scene. Yeah, that can happen.

I'll start with a few of my own from Season 5 of Fringe. Episode 4 (when
    a certain character leaves the show
    and the end of Fringe Episode 9 where
    Walter is sitting on the floor of his lab and his memories are being projected onto the walls
    . It's safe to say that Michael Giacchino's music was a big factor there. Bastard.

Speaking of Michael Giacchino's influence, what about
    Charlie
    in Lost?

How about the season 3 episode of Scrubs (My Screw Up) with Brendan Fraser? If you aren't welling up at the end of that episode, then there's no hope for you....

Then there is the
    graveside
    monologue by Watson at the end of Sherlock's most recent episode, really hammered home by that final shot too.

The end of Season 2 of Rescue Me (
    the hit and run
    ) ... The final montage of Six Feet Under ....

What other TV scenes made you misty? :)

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The Brendan Frazier episode of Scrubs was a heart tugger alright. They also did a great big musical number of a terminal patients passing below which kills me :) (Imma big softie :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Every single episode of Parenthood season 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

No..I have no emotions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

In Oz, either season 5 or 6
    The scene where Cyril is first walked down for his execution.

Killed me a little bit inside.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

ER did. Repeatedly.
    Mark's death made me cry til I was dehydrated. And how Elizabeth coped in the aftermath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Keeping with the Scrubs theme, the episode "My 15 Seconds" gets me.

There is nothing dramatically tear jerking, I.e. there is no death with a background of a string symphony. Instead the episode is mostly what appears to be tongue in cheek until you realise the patient is suicidal. It's so close to real life that when "that moment" happens, you realise that its art replicating life, its very real.

To me it highlights how disassociated from humanity we often become, hence why mental health remains such a stigma in Ireland.

http://scrubs.wikia.com/wiki/My_Fifteen_Seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

Dr Green
    dying in Er no matter how many times I saw the episode it got me
    Secret millionaire cant watch it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Nearly every episode of Grey's Anatomy to be honest. That show always gets me and I'm not a cryer.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Frasier caught me by surprise and did this to me a couple of times, mostly where martin was concerned. Small moments of silence, or a look, usully referencing his late wife would do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

Royle family - Queen of Sheba

01.35 - 06.30 of this video, although the whole episode is class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

futurama - jurassic bark. frys dog at the end sooo sad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

The last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth. Specifically when George hears the shelling has stopped and says "Oh, we've survived it! The Great War of 1914 to 1917." I ugly cry, everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Every episode of Parenthood.

Certain episodes of Doctor Who - you know the ones I'm talking about, I don't need to drop examples.

Sometimes when watching The Biggest Loser - reminds me of my own struggle with weight loss a couple of years ago. Know how they feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

When
    Pavel
    died in Raw, my dad died of something similar when I was fourteen. I broke down sobbing, my mrs couldn't console me . I was in bits for fifteen minutes before I could pull it together. Since I became a dad I'm a lot more emotional but never like that. Obviously touched a deep nerve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Only time was the finale of Six Feet Under, nothing else came close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The ending of Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Frasier caught me by surprise and did this to me a couple of times, mostly where martin was concerned. Small moments of silence, or a look, usully referencing his late wife would do it.

I was scrolling down trying to think of an example but nothing was coming to mind until you said this.

Last episode of Frasier where
    they all think Frasier is trying to tell them he is dying, giving away his stuff etc. The reactions from the family is just incredible.
    Its an amazingly well acted and written scene and I will admit that I got serious eye sweats watching it.

I know theres more but cant think of any right now. Strangely some never bothered me at all. A lot of people say Blackadder goes forth is upsetting. Powerful, absolutely 100%, but upsetting? not for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Frasier made me pretty emotional at the end, but it's understandable after cramming all 11 seasons into 2 months of watching, you form an emotional bond with the characters!

I also was genuinely upset when
    Rita
    got killed off on Dexter, for reasons I don't quite understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

When
    Pratt
    Died in ER.
    Mark Green Also

Lots of Greys episodes but especially the one where
    Denny Dies
    That Chasing Cars song by Snow Patrol gets me every time.

Every Episode of HIMYM which ends without discovering who the mother is!! And now there's another season. Ugh!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

sink wrote: »
    Only time was the finale of Six Feet Under, nothing else came close.

Was just gonna say.

Punched me right in the feelings, it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Love how some people don't understand spoilers...

^sarcasm

The Wire, time after time it left me a blubbering mess. There's just too many emotionally wrenching moments to list but there is one shot during the montage that ends the series which focused on the schools that is quite simply the most heart breaking things you will ever see.

Stargate also got me a few times, in particular the final episode and that wonderful montage of their life aboard the ship stuck in time. Atlantis also made me well up with the episode Sunday leaving me like a school girl stood up on prom night.

Recently Supernatural has seen me shed my fair share of tears. Rewatching from the start and I'm constantly surprised by how emotional it can be. We all expect the big deaths to be moving but fir me its the quieter moments where characters grapple with just what the life they chose entails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

The end of Prison Break. You think "ohh, they all look so happy, yay". And then BAM! The tombstone. I cried for about 10 minutes, my 2 sisters for even longer.

Also, the end of Season 8 of Scrubs, when JD is walking down the hall and he has the vision of his future on the white-sheet. Gets me every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pagete2

I almost cried when Buffy died, but I did think it was the end of the series and thought she was genuinely dead! Not so sad now, knowing she was resurrected!
    The last episode in Black Adder goes forth was a killer too!
    I know it's a movie, but the Lion King where Mufasa dies and poor little Simba is nussling his body :-( Or the start of Up, when the old man is remembering his wife!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The finale of Six Feet Under, amazing. Only other time was episode 9 of Band of Brothers when
    they find the concentration camp and are walking through it for the first time - got worse when Winters had to order them to put the prisoners back inside the camp temporarily because they had nowhere else to put them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

I cry for humanity every time I see an add for Tallifornia/ Jersy Shore/ Made in Chelsea etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spoiler tags added to a few posts above. Please be considerate, people.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I didn't cry during the musical montage at the end of The Wire.

I just had something in my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

shygal wrote: »
    futurama - jurassic bark. frys dog at the end sooo sad

That scene is heartbreaking. When a repeat of it comes on I have to switch channels. I hate anything to do with dogs dying.

• Advertisement

the musical montage at the end of The Wire.

I didn't tear up much during the wire myself, it more got me indignant & angry than anything else but still heartbroken & resigned like when:
    all the cops' bungling ended up getting Randy put back into the care home

These connected scenes were the ones that got me though:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The episodes surrounding Rachel's death in 'Cold Feet'. Although I fear this may date me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The death of a certain member of sons of anarchy in its latest series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Doyle's death
    in Angel
    Lucy's death
    in ER

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

The Wire.

Bubbles.

Stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

01.35 - 06.30 of this video, although the whole episode is class

When I first saw the scene with nana and Barbara,I cried my eyes out,as it felt very much like the last conversation I had with my mam.

Mam had been ill for a long time,and during that time she lost her sight,lost so much weight she was almost skeletal,and needed help going to the bathroom.

It was a Friday night,and I'd been out for a few drinks after work,got home early enough,and mam called me into her room as she needed the bathroom.

After I'd put her back into bed,she told me how sorry she was,how she hated being a burden,and how she hated being in the condition she was in.
    I got slightly angry and told her how that she would have no problem doing it for me if I was in that way,and that I didn't mind at all.

We had a chat,then she said she was tired and was going to sleep.
    The last thing she said to me was "I love you son,you know that",and I told her I loved her,said goodnight to her,and that I'd see her in the morning,she died during the night.

I've seen this episode so many times,and I cry every time,I really shouldn't watch it as it upsets me so much,but it's such a great piece of tv,full of emotion and also great comedy.

Just a shame the last one was ****e !!!!!!

• Advertisement

Dub Ste wrote: »
    felt very much like the last conversation I had with my mam.

It's a heartbreaking scene but also it's very joyous, like the best case scenario of how you'd like to see a loved one out, or even to go out yourself. I think that's what makes it so powerful, no doubt that moment where she tells her she loves her is the clincher. Condolences on your mams passing too fella. I guess it must hurt to rewatch but then i'm sure there are cathartic elements to it too, it's great art that can make you feel something that real.

Great acting for a lady that age to play out what looks like a continuous 5 minute take full of changes in pace & tone & humor and to nail the whole thing.

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Just a shame the last one was ****e !!!!!!

it was woeful wans't it, especially after the other great christmas special when they visited the inlaws, Dave's parents & were playing with the recliner sofa... that was gas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Rasmus wrote: »
    The episodes surrounding Rachel's death in 'Cold Feet'. Although I fear this may date me.

Completely forgot about that, I watched the entire boxset over a month and that completely destroyed me, could not believe a TV show could be so harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Oh God, I don't know where to start because there have been so many, but One Born Every Minute gets me every single time - the miracle of a life coming into the world is just so magical. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Mr E wrote: »
    How about the season 3 episode of Scrubs (My Screw Up) with Brendan Fraser? If you aren't welling up at the end of that episode, then there's no hope for you....

^^+1

Not really a tv show, but the behind the scenes making of "Return Of The King", when they are wrapping up the final shots,....every time!!!

Also, I cried very time I had to watch Gilmore Girls, not because it was sad or anything, but because I felt part of my soul died each time I saw it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The last couple of episodes of House had their fair share of tears, the Scrubs Laverne exit episode was another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Every single episode of The Littlest Hobo

Oh how I sobbed uncontrollably :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

As mentioned already, many moments in Lost including
    Charlie's death and the ending.
    I'm sure there were many others too.

Spartacus
    deaths of Sura, and to a lesser extent Varro

Band of Brothers, pretty much every moment of the last three or four episodes.

Game of Thrones, the
    death of Sansa's direwolf.
    I'd read the books so was expecting it but no matter how prepared, I just can't cope
    when animals die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

When
    grissom left CSI
    I was bawling and one born every minute gets me every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Buffy: "The body" episode surrounding
    the death of Buffys mother ,Joyce
    and everyones reaction to it. Strange that a supernatural show could treat a death/mourning period in such a realistic fashion. Similarly the episode of Friday Night Lights surrounding the death and funeral of
    Matt Saracens Marine Dad

One single scene that really got me in Dexter was Deb breaking down in the car park where
    Lundy was shot and killed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The last episode of The Office, Maggies first word on The Simpsons and the end of The Simpsons episode where Homers morher turns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The end of the last episode of John Adams and Lost got me anyway.

The Wire had many moments aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Watching a program called 'The Brain Doctors' on the Beeb about neurosurgeons at Oxford's John Radcliffe Hospital lately. I was in tears last week watching it. Some of the cases were horrific. I have so much respect for the staff there and the patients make you really appreciate how lucky those of us who are in good health are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I remember I cried at Eastbound and Down once.

It was a day I watched all three series in one go. Can't think which episode it was but think I might have revolved around Kenny and the baby or maybe Shane.

It's quite shameful really:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Ipso wrote: »
    the end of The Simpsons episode where Homers morher turns up.

Yeah, where the credits are just him looking up at the stars :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

One that springs to mind was the end of an episode of Southland called "Code 4"
    where a police officer is beaten to death during what seems like a completely casual conversation. It turns into a mob scene, with everyone trying to kick the body while his partner desperately tries to get him into a car to take him to hospital
    . It's a fantastic show but sometimes it throws something at you so quickly you don't even understand what's happening. It was harrowing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement