Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Fees

Options
  • 21-02-2013 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I got a note today that I haven't paid a Maintenance Fee for my son's school (50 EUR). There was another fee of 75 EUR at the beginning of the school year for photocopies, soap, etc. Do all primary schools in town have such fees? Is there really so little funding from the government that schools have to charge for soap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

To be honest....live in South, but regularly get requests for money for photocopying/administration etc. texts are sent out regularly about half days etc. Schools are broke! (I work in one). Parents won't send kids to school with a pencil.....schools have to supply children with a pencil, so costs are spread out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

We are constantly being asked to send in a few quid here and there. Every other week it seems. And I have to trust a 5yo to not lose it and remember to hand it in.

We wish they could just add up all the fees (including shamrocks, photos, xmas cards they excite the kids about and therefore obligate you to pay) and just bill us at the start of the year. Likewise there should be a monthly plan for those who can't afford to pay the full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

newkie wrote: »
    We are constantly being asked to send in a few quid here and there. Every other week it seems. And I have to trust a 5yo to not lose it and remember to hand it in.

We wish they could just add up all the fees (including shamrocks, photos, xmas cards they excite the kids about and therefore obligate you to pay) and just bill us at the start of the year. Likewise there should be a monthly plan for those who can't afford to pay the full whack.
    Is it the school asking for money for shamrock, Christmas cards etc. or is it the Parents' Committee doing fundraising for the school? Either way if you join the Parents' Committee you could have an influence over how these fundraising activities are carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Glad to hear it's common and not just our school. Didn't realize there were such funding problems, but will gladly pay to maintain the school's quality level. There is a monthly payment plan option as well.

All our friends' children attend the same school except for one that goes to the Claddagh. They claim to pay nothing extra, so hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hi, its a voluntary contribution (the school are supposed to highlight the voluntary bit). If you can afford to pay it well and good, it really does help the school as funding is low. BUT, if money is tight, certainly dont allow yourself to be pressured into paying it when there are bills to pay, you are under NO obligation to pay it.

http://www.npc.ie/npc/page.aspx?pageid=565

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0708/1224300302066.html

Quoted from article above
    Fri 07 Jul 2011
    Minister says schools can seek voluntary contributions
    SCHOOLS CAN seek contributions from parents so long as it is made “absolutely clear” that the contributions are voluntary, Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn has told the Dáil.

We've paid it (and extra) most years, but in the last year we just dont have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Wow, thanks Tipsygypsy! Great info to have up the sleeve. :)

I just had a look in the school's Parent's Booklet and no mention of it being voluntary, but words like "generosity" are used. The reminder letter son brought home also makes no mention.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

http://www.seomraranga.com/2013/02/personal-funding-in-primary-classrooms-2/ It's not just parents who end up making up the shortfall.If the charge is for items like photocopying ,it is a school cost, like a book ,rather than a voluntary contribution.

That survey really is appalling . I would be genuinely very upset if I thought my kids teachers were out of pocket to supply basics. I do try to make sure that the kids are fully stocked up with their bits and pieces. And yes, Im very happy to pay the start of term payment for art supplies, copying etc. and all the other bits and pieces throughtout the year - theres something every month (€20 each child this month for swimming, there'll be another fortune looked for soon for school tours, and who knows what else will come up over the next few months.)

My kids go to a FANTASTIC school, and the staff are wonderful and very understanding and considerate, always aware that some families are really struggling at the moment, and they do try to keep the costs down.

Its very important that school be clear about what exactly the payments are for. And the voluntary contribution needs to stay voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

The schools depend on VCs, the capitation just isn't enough.

What pi$$es me off is the parents who are well able to afford it but don't pay. Still they'd fork out more for a pair of runners for their kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

deandean wrote: »

What pi$$es me off is the parents who are well able to afford it but don't pay. Still they'd fork out more for a pair of runners for their kid.

Completely agree. I've experience of a DEIS school, where so much is given, yet kids are sent to school without a copy or pencil. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

deandean wrote: »

Completely agree aswell, it's always the people who have money that won't spend it.

We pay the money every September and that's it for the year then. Once my lad hit 1st class he started to bring all his own colours, pencils, etc with him.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Completely agree aswell, it's always the people who have money that won't spend it.

what a vast and wholly unfair generalisation.

Advertisement