Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedrooms vs Kitchen/Dining/Sitting and long& narrow v short&wide.

Options
  • 21-02-2013 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

I'd like to hear your thoughts on these two points.

Two houses about the same sq metres but:

1- one has more space in Kitchen/Dining/Sitting (downstairs) and the other has bigger rooms (upstairs). The difference is about 5-10 metres in each floor.

The reason for this difference in sq metres in each has with the landing area in each area.

Also,

2- one house has long and narrow Dining/Sitting rooms vs the other which has short and wider Dining/Sitting rooms (but less sq metres).

What would you be your preferences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

For me, extra "living space" wodul be more important..... so the better downstairs would win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

How much smaller are the bedrooms upstairs? Are they tiny or around normal.
    I'd be going for the one with the larger rooms downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

On your second point, I'd be aiming for "squarer" rooms as much as possible. If that house is the one with bigger rooms downstairs, then I'd be aiming for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Provided the bedrooms arent all glorified shoeboxes Id definately choose the bigger living area over bigger bedrooms.

However your second point may change that somewhat. A bigger long/narrow dining area may actually feel smaller than a more square room, even if the latter has less square meter size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

These are the actual sq metres for each room and the totals.

sqmetres.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

djimi wrote: »
    Provided the bedrooms arent all glorified shoeboxes Id definately choose the bigger living area over bigger bedrooms.

However your second point may change that somewhat. A bigger long/narrow dining area may actually feel smaller than a more square room, even if the latter has less square meter size.

Sitting room is definitely narrower in one house than the other. I would be knocking the wall between the kitchen/dining in both so that narrow feeling will only be left in the sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Personally i prefer the room dimensions of the second house. I dislike long rooms. Also two of the bedrooms seem pretty pokey in the first house.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

mel.b wrote: »
    Personally i prefer the room dimensions of the second house. I dislike long rooms. Also two of the bedrooms seem pretty pokey in the first house.

Yep, me too. Although I'd need to see a good floor plan to really know, depends on obstructions, doorways, etc. on which is better.

For me, it depends on where you can fit furniture, how much space you will have to walk about, and preferably have a number of ways to change the furniture layout in the future. Square rooms lend more to you being able to do that, so I wouldn't go too much on sqm, unless there is vast differences.

But at the end of the day, it's up to the OP which he would prioritise.

Advertisement