Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old lines - South Dublin

• 21-02-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭

Hey there. Looking for some help. A friend of mine is getting married in March and would love to get some pics done on abandoned rail tracks. I tried Eiretrains but I'm not sure if the site is still active. He is based in south Dublin, Cabinteely/Killiney area.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

keano_afc wrote: »
    Hey there. Looking for some help. A friend of mine is getting married in March and would love to get some pics done on abandoned rail tracks. I tried Eiretrains but I'm not sure if the site is still active. He is based in south Dublin, Cabinteely/Killiney area.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Send Eiretrains an email, he's still putting up stuff AFAIK.

I'm not sure how picturesque the Harcourt St line is beyond the section taken up by LUAS though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Thanks for the reply. I sent Ciaran a mail to the address on the site, but got a bounceback saying the email address was no longer valid. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

He's also on Boards under 'Eiretrains'. He'll probably spot this thread anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

There's a section of the old DSE line between Killiney and Shankill that's now a walkway. There's a bridge that might make a good backdrop and good access.

241982.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The 9 Arches viaduct at Milltown or the Bride's Glen viaduct at Loughlinstown are the only two places that I can think of that would make a nice photographic backdrop. Probably hard to get much of a shot at the Bride's Glen though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The 9 Arches viaduct at Milltown or the Bride's Glen viaduct at Loughlinstown are the only two places that I can think of that would make a nice photographic backdrop. Probably hard to get much of a shot at the Bride's Glen though.

hard but Oh so appropriate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Keano, the Dublin area is unusual as it actually hasn't a lot of abandoned lines. The Harcourt Street line is the most well known one but asidrs from that it's the realigned section towards Bray, the line into Broadstone and a few sidings and freight yards, none of which will have any scenic stuff or track, if that's what you are after. Maybe if you can bang out more specific ideas of what they want, we can direct you to a location which may suit your friends better; lots of us here know their **** about stuff like this.

I've contact details for Eiretrains so I'll send him the way of this thread for a quick look to see if he can help any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If you just want a (short) section of tracks there's a set of points beside the up platform in Greystones Station.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/infomatique/6841532774/

not my picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Hi Keano,
    sorry I haven't received any email inquiries via Eiretrains but handy you posting this here.
    The only abandoned lines in south Dublin is what others have mentioned is the Harcourt St line, but this only exists between Brides Glen and Shankill, and the only significant location is the viaduct at Brides Glen which is partly accessible, but as others have mentioned it is not scenic at all.
    This video will give an idea of the location.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4lkswxpZM

I'm not sure though are simply looking for totally abandoned lines and sites, with track in situ? The only line of this type is located in Leinster is between Navan and Kingscourt, disused for last 12 years and nowadays an unofficial trail used by locals.

Lastly - just throwing this out here, may not be what you're intending at all - but if you're really looking for something railway themed for a wedding there is the the Station House Hotel in Kilmessan, Co.Meath, it is effectively a restored former railway station, but now functioning as a hotel and bar.
    http://www.stationhousehotel.ie/

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the railway walk in tinaheely (sp?) isnt far from south dublin. i did the walk last summer, there isnt any track in situ but there is bridges. you could come down with len and drop into me for dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Lastly - just throwing this out here, may not be what you're intending at all - but if you're really looking for something railway themed for a wedding there is the the Station House Hotel in Kilmessan, Co.Meath, it is effectively a restored former railway station, but now functioning as a hotel and bar.
    http://www.stationhousehotel.ie/

A big +1 to that. Went to a wedding 3 years ago there,the ceremony took place in the turntable pit and the reception was in the goods shed. We stayed overnight and the room was in the same goods shed,great craic.:)

The bridal suite is in the old signal cabin,pity the significance of this was lost on the bride and groom. Worth popping up for lunch even if you're not having a function there and the owner seems quite happy to show people around and explain the history of the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

There is also track still in situ in leinster which oftennis forgotten about, the siding at athy between the station and the tegral factory and there is a nice photographic opportunity on the barrow bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

davidlacey wrote: »
    There is also track still in situ in leinster which oftennis forgotten about, the siding at athy between the station and the tegral factory and there is a nice photographic opportunity on the barrow bridge.

I was there recently. Although the bridge itself is a nice backdrop for a photo, it's an hour's drive away from the city and it is not what you'd call a picturesque bit of track, not to mention the fact that it is a bit of walk from a road and rather slippy and manky :)

Advertisement