Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lombardo out of Slayer

• 21-02-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭

What the actual fcuk!!

SLAYER drummer Dave Lombardo has released the following statement:

"I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.

"So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I'm saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.

"Last year, I discovered 90% of SLAYER's tour income was being deducted as expenses, including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band's business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my bandmates know, and Tom [Araya, bass/vocals] and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary backup documents.

"I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year's sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a longform contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.

"Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry [King, guitar] and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for SLAYER to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn't interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 p.m. as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 p.m. I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.

"I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the three of us original SLAYER members. I look forward to seeing you in the future."

Shortly into the tour for SLAYER's 1986 album "Reign In Blood", Lombardo left the group, citing financial concerns. Tony Scaglione of WHIPLASH was recruited to replace Lombardo; however, this lineup was short-lived, as Lombardo returned in 1987. In 1992, Lombardo left the group again due to friction with the other band members, particularly King. Paul Bostaph of FORBIDDEN took over as the band's drummer for 1994's "Divine Intervention" and 1996's "Undisputed Attitude", the latter being an LP of cover tunes. Following the recording of "Undisputed Attitude", Jon Dette replaced Bostaph, who left to concentrate on other projects. Dette was fired a year later and Bostaph returned to the fold. In 2001, Bostaph left SLAYER for good and was replaced by a returning Lombardo. Although this reunion was initally announced as temporary, Lombardo has remained with the band ever since.

SLAYER has spent the past two years touring without guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who is still recovering from necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease, which he is believed to have gotten from a spider bite. Hanneman is being temporarily replaced on the road by EXODUS guitarist Gary Holt.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Sounds like Kerry was being a bit of an ass. Still, this was unexpected, and a real shame. Hopefully they can get this sorted properly, so Lombardo can come back, assuming he'd want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

very sad state of affairs, greed is a terrible thing.

Still if what he says is true he's better off away from them, it's not as if he would have trouble getting a gig!

Imagine working for a year, on a per deim, and at the end of it recieving nothing?

On the other hand there have been plenty of tours that cost more than they made but at this stage in slayer's career you would think they had been through all that and learned how to tour profitably?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

What a mess. Band members contacting each other through lawyers. Such nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

more like 90% of the profits go to KK industries

quoting blabbermouth.net

According to Soundwave promoter AJ Maddah, SLAYER has tapped drummer Jon Dette (pictured below) to sit to sit behind the kit for the California thrash band's appearances on this year's festival tour, which is scheduled to kick off on Saturday, February 23 in Brisbane, Australia.

Asked by a fan via Twitter if SLAYER was pulling out Soundwave after drummer Dave Lombardo revealed that he was not going to be joining his bandmates on this year's trek, Maddah said, "No. Dette is already here and knows SLAYER songs well."

Dette joined SLAYER in 1996 when Paul Bostaph left to work on his side project, THE TRUTH ABOUT SEAFOOD. Dette performed with SLAYER at the 1996 Ozzfest to promote the band's covers album, "Undisputed Attitude".

Prior to joining SLAYER, Dette appeared on TESTAMENT's "Live At The Fillmore" album, which came out in 1995.

Dette is currently playing with ANTHRAX as a temporary replacement for the band's longtime drummer Charlie Benante, who "is dealing with personal issues right now and can't leave" the U.S., according to ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian.

Lombardo released a statement last night indicating that he was being replaced for SLAYER's Australian dates after he requested access to detailed information and the necessary backup documents regarding how the band's tour income was being distributed. According to the drummer, 90% of SLAYER's tour revenue is "being deducted as expenses, including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us."

SLAYER has spent the past two years touring without guitarist Jeff Hanneman, who is still recovering from necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease, which he is believed to have gotten from a spider bite. Hanneman is being temporarily replaced on the road by EXODUS guitarist Gary Holt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

So can we guess from "90% going to management" that King is part of said "management"?

very sad state of affairs, greed is a terrible thing.

Still if what he says is true he's better off away from them, it's not as if he would have trouble getting a gig!

Imagine working for a year, on a per deim, and at the end of it recieving nothing?

On the other hand there have been plenty of tours that cost more than they made but at this stage in slayer's career you would think they had been through all that and learned how to tour profitably?
    that's the problem! Kerry does know how to tour profitably!! By paying the rest feck all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

scudzilla wrote: »
    What the actual fcuk!!

SLAYER drummer Dave Lombardo has released the following statement:

"I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.

"So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I'm saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.

"Last year, I discovered 90% of SLAYER's tour income was being deducted as expenses, including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band's business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my bandmates know, and Tom [Araya, bass/vocals] and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary backup documents.

"I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year's sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a longform contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.

"Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry [King, guitar] and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for SLAYER to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn't interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 p.m. as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 p.m. I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.

"I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the three of us original SLAYER members. I look forward to seeing you in the future."

Shortly into the tour for SLAYER's 1986 album "Reign In Blood", Lombardo left the group, citing financial concerns. Tony Scaglione of WHIPLASH was recruited to replace Lombardo; however, this lineup was short-lived, as Lombardo returned in 1987. In 1992, Lombardo left the group again due to friction with the other band members, particularly King. Paul Bostaph of FORBIDDEN took over as the band's drummer for 1994's "Divine Intervention" and 1996's "Undisputed Attitude", the latter being an LP of cover tunes. Following the recording of "Undisputed Attitude", Jon Dette replaced Bostaph, who left to concentrate on other projects. Dette was fired a year later and Bostaph returned to the fold. In 2001, Bostaph left SLAYER for good and was replaced by a returning Lombardo. Although this reunion was initally announced as temporary, Lombardo has remained with the band ever since.

Sounds a bit like the Sabbath/Bill Ward s**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

that's the problem! Kerry does know how to tour profitably!! By paying the rest feck all!!

Tom and Dave got auditors in, so appears Tom isn't happy with the situation either.

i would say there is a bit of a scramble on to secure Mr Lombardo's exceptional services in the near future!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So can we guess from "90% going to management" that King is part of said "management"?

Given his reaction, I'd say that was more than likely. Why else would he not "be willing to make changes"

The sad thing is Slayer is Tom, Kerry, dave and jeff and time is running out and there was a good chance they could have retired slayer "together" instead of this way.

So to kick the hornet's nest, long term it looks like King should get the boot... much as I love him I'd rather a new guitarist than Slayer disintegrate.

or are we going to see a queensryche type situation?

dave and tom tour as slayer and KK and hired help also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

$layer

ush wrote: »
    $layer
    $la¥€r :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So to kick the hornet's nest, long term it looks like King should get the boot... much as I love him I'd rather a new guitarist than Slayer disintegrate.

Not a chance. He formed the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Hope it's sorted out. If the man didn't get paid for his work last year then thats the least he deserved. If one of us weren't paid, we wouldn't be long kicking up stink!

I fear this isn't going to end well though. KK has made his stand and is too proud to change his mind IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Didn't know it happened in the 80s . It's like breaking up and getting back together with someone a few times. There's a reason you broke up in the first place!! Pity though...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

seachto7 wrote: »
    Didn't know it happened in the 80s . It's like breaking up and getting back together with someone a few times. There's a reason you broke up in the first place!! Pity though...

But maybe it'll be better this time :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

It's amazing how often this happens in bands and I think a lot of it is down to the fact that there are usually one or two guys who found the group and everybody else is considered along for the ride and in their eternal gratitude. It's unbelievable they would screw him like this. It happened in the 80's, but considering the sums of money that must be involved this time and on top of the previous screwing, I doubt he will be back. If I was to bet who is the greedy one in Slayer, I'd say KK without a doubt. He has merchandised himself to death. I'd say he has a management or logistics company in his name that caters for slayer touring and the "expenses" are going to that. Begs the question though; "How the f**k could Lombardo have let himself be screwed like this?" Surely he must have an accountant or adviser to ensure his interests are looked after, especially after the last time...coming to a courthouse near you in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sad state of affairs, it not exactly a walk in the park playing drums for Slayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I know it's Kerrys band but Lombardo offers more live. Obviously it's a dog eat dog world as far as Kerry is concerned (if Dave's statement is factual).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It's amazing how often this happens in bands and I think a lot of it is down to the fact that there are usually one or two guys who found the group and everybody else is considered along for the ride and in their eternal gratitude.

Similar thing happened to Deicide recently. I can't find the specific link due to being in work, but this is a quote from Eric Hoffman (via his facebook page):

"Reason for DEICIDE split, Earache records sends all royalties and publishing to c/o Glen Benton. He has now taken all royalties, publishing and merch for nine years from Scars of the Crucifix, that went silver. He did not write one song on Scars. The only song he ever wrote in his career was part of Trifixtion. I arranged all DEICIDE songs. Glen you bitch, I wrote all of Torment in Hell to get off Roadrunner in 5 days, and I did not take all the royalties. We were a team no matter who wrote what. It was split 4 ways. You were hired and fired numerous times in DEICIDE. I played the bass on Pentecostal, just one of my songs on Scars. I also purchased/gave him a BEAST bass to play on Scars, pathetic scumbag. Steve Ashaimed claimed to the IRS he sent us $4000 each on a tax statement for Scars. Which we did not receive. Clearly fraud, you scumbag. You will get what is comming, mother ****ers. If you see Glen live please spit in his mouth for me, thank you."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Similar thing happened to Deicide recently. I can't find the specific link due to being in work, but this is a quote from Eric Hoffman (via his facebook page):

"Reason for DEICIDE split, Earache records sends all royalties and publishing to c/o Glen Benton. He has now taken all royalties, publishing and merch for nine years from Scars of the Crucifix, that went silver. He did not write one song on Scars. The only song he ever wrote in his career was part of Trifixtion. I arranged all DEICIDE songs. Glen you bitch, I wrote all of Torment in Hell to get off Roadrunner in 5 days, and I did not take all the royalties. We were a team no matter who wrote what. It was split 4 ways. You were hired and fired numerous times in DEICIDE. I played the bass on Pentecostal, just one of my songs on Scars. I also purchased/gave him a BEAST bass to play on Scars, pathetic scumbag. Steve Ashaimed claimed to the IRS he sent us $4000 each on a tax statement for Scars. Which we did not receive. Clearly fraud, you scumbag. You will get what is comming, mother ****ers. If you see Glen live please spit in his mouth for me, thank you."

Sounds all too familiar. Poor bastard wouldn't have been a millionaire from recording and touring with DEICIDE either. Looks like Glen knew they were on the other-side of the hill and decided to get himself optimum profit. I'd say King senses the same and just wants to have full control of the nostalgia territory they will soon be crossing into.

If it comes to the nuclear option, I'm going with Tomdavejeffslayer every time before Kerryslayer.

Is Jeff back yet? Not really the central issue here, I just haven't heard much of him since he got that flesh eating thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Denny M wrote: »
    Is Jeff back yet? Not really the central issue here, I just haven't heard much of him since he got that flesh eating thing...

Nope, Gary Holt still on axe details. Not sure what the story is with Jeff and his recuperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Nope, Gary Holt still on axe details. Not sure what the story is with Jeff and his recuperation.

Probably a gagging order on him too,hasn't been a word from him in ages.

Lombardo is a major part of the Slayer sound and it's just not Slayer without him. Throw in Hannemanns absence and you're left with Slayer-lite. This has Kings grubby hands all over it. He's always been quick to mouth off about other bands and slag off anyone who has anything to say about Slayer.

I love the band but i'd love nothing more than to see Araya walk away from it. Sounds like they've all been screwed over by King. Pity the spider didn't bite King instead of Hannemann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

lord lucan wrote: »
    Probably a gagging order on him too,hasn't been a word from him in ages.

Lombardo is a major part of the Slayer sound and it's just not Slayer without him. Throw in Hannemanns absence and you're left with Slayer-lite. This has Kings grubby hands all over it. He's always been quick to mouth off about other bands and slag off anyone who has anything to say about Slayer.

I love the band but i'd love nothing more than to see Araya walk away from it. Sounds like they've all been screwed over by King. Pity the spider didn't bite King instead of Hannemann.

Abso-feckin-lutely! hannemann is a far better soloist than King ever was, King just repeats the same s--t over and over the whole time. Plus Hannemann has written far more great songs than King has.

You couldn't have Slayer without Araya's vocals and Slayer was never the same with drummers other than Lombardo. In contrast Slayer could lose King and not lose as much as is lost by any of the other 3 being missing.

Advertisement