Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lombardo out of Slayer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Kinda like the whole Lars thing with Metallica; know you're replaceable musically so make yourself irreplaceable in other areas.

Dave is my musical hero and it saddens me to see him and Tom get screwed over like this. I hope they work it out as its not really slayer without him.

Also, Bostaph and Dette are great drummers but they arent on the same level as Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

In contrast Slayer could lose King and not lose as much as is lost by any of the other 3 being missing.

If anything the music would probably improve. Hanneman has always been the superior song writer and I'd love to see what him and Gary Holt would come up with together for a Slayer album! Im hoping to catch their Sydney show on Monday so it'll be interesting to see how they fare out on stage after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

What a pity. A fantastic drummer. Oh well more fantomas please :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Slayer confirms that Jon Dette (Testament) will drum for the band on its Australian tour that starts this Saturday, February 23 in Brisbane. As regards Dave Lombardo’s Facebook post, Slayer does not agree with Mr. Lombardo’s substance or the timeline of the events, except to acknowledge that Mr. Lombardo came to the band less than a week before their scheduled departure for Australia to present an entirely new set of terms for his engagement that were contrary to those that had been previously agreed upon.

“The band was unable to reach an agreement on these new demands in the short amount of time available prior to leaving for Australia. There is more to the account than what Mr. Lombardo has offered, but out of respect to him, Slayer will not be commenting further. Slayer is grateful to its Australian fans for their understanding of this unfortunate last-minute change, and very much looks forward to seeing them at these shows.”

Dave Lombardo revealed yesterday that he was notified by lawyers that his services would not be needed while Slayer were in Australia, with Jon Dette being revealed as his replacement mere hours later.

Having already toured with Slayer once before, Jon Dette is no stranger to the band’s material and seems to be an appropriate last-minute choice. When Paul Bostaph left the band in 1996 to pursue other projects, Dette stepped in to help them out on that year’s US Ozzfest festival tour as they promoted their covers album Undisputed Attitude. He was ousted by a returning Bostaph less than 12 months later. Interestingly, Dette is also currently playing with Anthrax, standing in for Charlie Benante who, according to guitarist Scott Ian, is still attending to “personal issues” back in the US. The revitalised New Yorkers are also taking part in the Soundwave festival this year alongside Slayer.

Wonder if he'll be back for Bloodstock?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

“The band was unable to reach an agreement on these new demands in the short amount of time available prior to leaving for Australia. There is more to the account than what Mr. Lombardo has offered, but out of respect to him, Slayer will not be commenting further. Slayer is grateful to its Australian fans for their understanding of this unfortunate last-minute change, and very much looks forward to seeing them at these shows.”

To me, that sounds like "What Mr. Lombardo said is pretty accurate, otherwise we would be in court already"

It's a shame to see this happen, Slayer are still on my bucket list, looks like at best I'll only get to see half the real Slayer if/when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wonder if he'll be back for Bloodstock?

Not a chance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

blastman wrote: »
    “There is more to the account than what Mr. Lombardo has offered"
    Maybe he's being screwed even more than he realises...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Testament1 wrote: »
    If anything the music would probably improve. Hanneman has always been the superior song writer and I'd love to see what him and Gary Holt would come up with together for a Slayer album! Im hoping to catch their Sydney show on Monday so it'll be interesting to see how they fare out on stage after this.
    Kerry always likes to point out how he doesn't regard diablous as an album because jeff wrote most of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Kerry King is an embarassment, always was, always looked like a tool and acted like one.
    Araya,Lombardo and Hanneman were always the standard bearers in Slayer, King was like Bez from the Happy Mondays or that bitch from Frankie Goes To Hollywood who danced.

buck65 wrote: »
    Kerry King is an embarassment, always was, always looked like a tool and acted like one.
    Araya,Lombardo and Hanneman were always the standard bearers in Slayer, King was like Bez from the Happy Mondays or that bitch from Frankie Goes To Hollywood who danced.
    KK is the reason Slayer are still going in fairness..he's the business man/brand manager that drives it...in fact I doubt anyone in slayer does anything slayer related until they get the call from kk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

It's pretty sad to see it played out in public like this but it's a sign of the times. Everybody airs their dirty laundry on the interwebs these days.

I always thought Slayer deserved respect for keeping their original line up for a large chunk of their career (even though Lombardo was out for quite few years). In comparison to the other Big Four bands - Anthrax and Megadeth in particular.

It's probably time for them to call it a day anyway but it's sad to see it happen like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

In some ways i think that if Araya left, it'd be a bigger loss than Dave - not downplaying his departure in anyway, is and always will be my favourite drummer - but without Araya, i think Slayer might as well give up, i don't think it would survive with a different vocalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Who writes the bulk of the albums? Cos that's where most of the cash will go, on royalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Said this in the Anthrax thread. I reckon Lombardo will be drumming with Anthrax for their upcoming Australian tour as Benante has pulled out for personal reasons.

Benante pulled out of an Anthrax tour a year or so ago as well and it was Lombardo that came in to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

scudzilla wrote: »
    Who writes the bulk of the albums? Cos that's where most of the cash will go, on royalties.

About 60% Hannemann, 30% King, 10% Araya. Which is probably why King is ripping everyone else off for the touring money.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Said this in the Anthrax thread. I reckon Lombardo will be drumming with Anthrax for their upcoming Australian tour as Benante has pulled out for personal reasons.

Benante pulled out of an Anthrax tour a year or so ago as well and it was Lombardo that came in to cover.

Jon Dette is filling in for Benante and he's going filling in for Lombardo aswell. The Australian dates are starting today so its a bit late for Lombardo to be coming to potentially join up with Anthrax.

Would be hilarious if Dave ended up with anthrax, "look tom I got paid tonight, where's your pay?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

i know the this particular band don't hang out and only get together for business i.e. recording/touring. Kerry is a serious dude, passionate but from what i hear he won't welcome Hanneman back unless he can play 100%. something unlikable about King in general, bit of a prick maybe!

shed head wrote: »
    i know the this particular band don't hang out and only get together for business i.e. recording/touring. Kerry is a serious dude, passionate but from what i hear he won't welcome Hanneman back unless he can play 100%. something unlikable about King in general, bit of a prick maybe!
    Yeah Jeff was photographed out drinkin and Mottin and apparently the boss wasnt happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Interesting... Would like to hear Dave pay caught in a mosh. Charlie is a fantastic drummer, pity to see him out.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd say Dave came back as a contractor after he quit the first time and I presume the others split things fairly even, although I'd say kk pays himself a few expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Testament1 wrote: »
    Jon Dette is filling in for Benante and he's going filling in for Lombardo aswell. The Australian dates are starting today so its a bit late for Lombardo to be coming to potentially join up with Anthrax.

Thought Dette was only filling in for one or two dates, or has that changed to it being the whole Oz tour and the dates afterwards elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

shed head wrote: »
    Wouldn't be happy if i was Hannemann seeing as he co-founded the band

Thought Dette was only filling in for one or two dates, or has that changed to it being the whole Oz tour and the dates afterwards elsewhere?

Not sure about elsewhere but the Aussie tour looks pretty short anyway, just the Soundwave dates and a few solo shows

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    $la¥€r :)

$La¥€R

You could've got the Lek and Rand in there :P

Went to see the Slayer /Anthrax show in Sydney last night and I must say Slayer were on top form. Whatever internal strife is going on didn't seem to affect them anyway. Tom looked like he was really enjoying himself walking around all night with a big smiley head on him. His vocals were pretty good too. Dettes drumming was top notch though the drum sound was better during the Anthrax set. All in all a great night. Hadn't seen slayer since the unholy alliance show in Dublin and they didn't disappoint last night. Decent size crowd there too despite the Soundwave show being on the day before. Also saw a lad wearing a t shirt that had a new twist on am old classic "Extreme Music For Extreme Aussies" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

This is quite annoying, Dave is a beast of a drummer and Slayer's sound would be nothing without his trademark eccentric over the top drumming. Hopefully they can sort it out, but King hasn't done anything daft in a long time, so I suppose something like this was well overdue from him.

I suppose though; if this speeds up Patton, Osborne, Dunn and him releasing a new Fantômas album it will heal the wounds a little bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Was never really a fan of Slayer. But Always liked and respected Dave Lombardo. Great drummer, maybe one of the best. Don't really like Kerry King after reading that article though. He reminds me of Lars Ulrich who I also don't like for the same reasons. Just a greedy, money hungry guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Was never really a fan of Slayer. But Always liked and respected Dave Lombardo. Great drummer, maybe one of the best. Don't really like Kerry King after reading that article though. He reminds me of Lars Ulrich who I also don't like for the same reasons. Just a greedy, money hungry guy.

I believe theres a difference between having a cause (against music piracy) and seeking to be compensated fairly for the work/time/money gone into producing and album
    AND
    Being a straight up money hungry jerk to the people who have helped you get where you are today and the people who are keeping you there (your co-writers and band members) - This is the category I would but King into.

The only way you could draw a direct comparison between the 2 would be if you did not fully understand the Dave Mustaine break up and you are the type of person who only ever downloads music for free and considered being filmed jumping up and down on your metallica CDs during the Napster case......

I take when you say "he reminds you" that you mean the situation has some VERY loose similarities as it is clearly not the same issue/arguement and I don't think anyone can impartially or otherwise justify KKs actions.... whereas people can/did/continue to justify Lars' issue with the area of piracy

I'm a bit on the fence about Lars. But would rather jump off the fence and dropkick KK ;) Not that I reckon he would even feel the impact if did try :D

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    I believe theres a difference between having a cause (against music piracy) and seeking to be compensated fairly for the work/time/money gone into producing and album
    AND
    Being a straight up money hungry jerk to the people who have helped you get where you are today and the people who are keeping you there (your co-writers and band members) - This is the category I would but King into.

The only way you could draw a direct comparison between the 2 would be if you did not fully understand the Dave Mustaine break up and you are the type of person who only ever downloads music for free and considered being filmed jumping up and down on your metallica CDs during the Napster case......

I take when you say "he reminds you" that you mean the situation has some VERY loose similarities as it is clearly not the same issue/arguement and I don't think anyone can impartially or otherwise justify KKs actions.... whereas people can/did/continue to justify Lars' issue with the area of piracy

I'm a bit on the fence about Lars. But would rather jump off the fence and dropkick KK ;) Not that I reckon he would even feel the impact if did try :D
    yeah it bugs me that lars has the napster thing tagged onto his name. People ignore what it was that pissed off metallica at the time and that was "i disappear" being leaked before they were even happy with it! Lars is well aware that any band who opposed him at the time, secretly totally agreed with him once they saw their cash run out!

Advertisement