Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEEd to gain weight turn to muscle and get fit !!

• 21-02-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm 22 and quiet light probaly around 9 stone I want to gain weight to turn to muscle but get fit at the same time as the new season is starting (GAA) can you advise what would be the best supplement to take?

Obviously, more than likely protein but anytime i searc online its telling me pro gainer, however isnt this just for people on a high level fitness programme?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

thread moved to the main forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Man, if you're 9 stone you should probably be more concerned with eating a lot more meat, eggs, milk, starchy veg, fruit etc. Supplements are basically food, gainers are protein+sugar+sciency sounding things and should be added on top of adequate food intake, but you should sort your diet out before going mad on "XTREME MUTANT ANABOLIC SPARTAN HULK" powder.

What are you doing in the gym? How much do you currently eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Hi I'm 22 and quiet light probaly around 9 stone I want to gain weight to turn to muscle but get fit at the same time as the new season is starting (GAA) can you advise what would be the best supplement to take?

Obviously, more than likely protein but anytime i searc online its telling me pro gainer, however isnt this just for people on a high level fitness programme?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...........
    First of all you cant turn fat into muscle. If you want muscle you have to build it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Diet at the moment wouldnt be great 1!!

Couple of wheetabix at half 5 in the morning another cereal at 8 !!nothing then till 12 3 sandwhiches with ham two oranges and a banana

another cereal about 3 0r 4 !!

then dinner potatoes and a mix of red meat mince, steak chicken vegtables

Due to been in work its difficult to have 30r4 meals prepared for the day thats why i was thinking of a protein shake as an alternative

Started weights programme yesterday bench press 5kg on each side on a 20kg bar did 3X10 then Dumbbell fly 7.5KG 3X10 and pull down machine 3X10 (25KG)

Current bodyweight as of yesterday 9 stone 5 !!

Want to get this to 11stone by the first of May !!

All help reccomendations would be appreciated as im fairly new to this !!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭board.eddy

Increase you protein intake first ! try and eat little but often.
    Make sure you get 3000 calories in every day, but only decent foods like fish, eggs, chicken, wholemeal pasta, cottage cheese etc.
    Supplements that contain 50% carbs and 50% protein might suit you best

• Advertisement

board.eddy wrote: »
    Increase you protein intake first ! try and eat little but often.
    Make sure you get 3000 calories in every day, but only decent foods like fish, eggs, chicken, wholemeal pasta, cottage cheese etc.
    Supplements that contain 50% carbs and 50% protein might suit you best

Thanks for the reply !!yeah I'm definetly going to increase my intake of food and especially good food I don't eat cheese at all but would eat a lot of ham and chicken and fruit!!
    Wouldn't be a big fan of fish but I'm sure if I eat a lot of meat I could make up for that !

What meals would you Reccommend for say 3-4pm in the day

Right now what iv been doing is havin fruit but I imagine this is not enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

board.eddy wrote: »
    Increase you protein intake first !
    yeah I'm definetly going to increase my intake of food and especially good food ......I'm sure if I eat a lot of meat I could make up for that !

What meals would you Reccommend for say 3-4pm in the day

Right now what iv been doing is havin fruit but I imagine this is not enough

breakfast. bacon eggs porridge

lunch chicken turkey

dinner chicken turkey beef pork.

Eat plenty of meat, eat meat with each meal. eat 2 hand fulls of veg with each meal, eat nuts and meat and eggs for snacks, drink milk and water.

dont bother with supplements if youre eating enough. and exercise!!

breakfast. bacon eggs porridge

lunch chicken turkey

dinner chicken turkey beef pork.

Eat plenty of meat, eat meat with each meal. eat 2 hand fulls of veg with each meal, eat nuts and meat and eggs for snacks, drink milk and water.

dont bother with supplements if youre eating enough. and exercise!!

Thanks for your reply will definetly take it onboard iv just started this week and obviously starting off eating loads is tough !! but i think im doing ok as i said above i want to be 11stone in 2 months but not a fat 11 stone i want it to be toned and muscle it will be tough but will keep ye updated

Cheers !!

Thanks for your reply will definetly take it onboard iv just started this week and obviously starting off eating loads is tough !! but i think im doing ok as i said above i want to be 11stone in 2 months but not a fat 11 stone i want it to be toned and muscle it will be tough but will keep ye updated

Cheers !!

Keep exercising.

Your body can only build a small amount of muscle a week, so asking it to put on 2 stone of muscle will only lead to disappointment.

Do some research as to what to expect you can put on and set realistic goals.

Eat about 2-300 calories more than you use in a day, eat good sources of protein from the food listed and remember its a slow process.

Keep exercising.

Your body can only build a small amount of muscle a week, so asking it to put on 2 stone of muscle will only lead to disappointment.

Do some research as to what to expect you can put on and set realistic goals.

Eat about 2-300 calories more than you use in a day, eat good sources of protein from the food listed and remember its a slow process.

Yeah i know its a big ask I will be going to the gym 4 days a week !!and be getting plenty of exercise in the tonly thing i worry about is i want to build muscle but also get fit and by getting fit i feel i will be burning alot of calories so il have to eat twice as much !! I can do this and i want to but i know it will be tough !!

Also preparing meals to eat during th day will be awkward at the moment for me lunch i would bring three chicken sandwhiches and 3 pieces of fruit

I would have wheetabix in the morning as i leave at 5:30 then another wheetabix at 8 lunch at 12 have fruit then around 3-4pm and then dinner at 7:30 or 8 !!

I know i need a bigger meal at 3-4pm have you got any ideas of what i could bring that's maybe pre-prepared as it would be lying around for a couple of hours

• Advertisement

I know i need a bigger meal at 3-4pm have you got any ideas of what i could bring that's maybe pre-prepared as it would be lying around for a couple of hours

tuna. 40g of protein per can, mix with avocado or mayo for some decent essential fats

And BTW i dont mean "its a big ask to put on 2 stone of muscle", as in, its gonna be hard. I mean your body can only make, like, 5 pounds of muscle a month regardless of how much protein you eat. I dont know the exact figures, some internet research will find it for you, or someone here may know better.
    If youre expecting it to put on nearly 6 times what it is capable of then youre setting your self up for a let down.

Aim to increase slowly and steadily and you wont be disappointed. consider setting your goal in more of a long term feeling of strength and fitness rather than a set weight by a set date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Don't forget to get a good Fish oil into your diet.

Info
    > http://www.predatornutrition.com/blog/2012/02/23/fish-oil-for-muscle-gain/

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭I Luv Crysis

What height are you? I would personally find it quite difficult gaining 23 lbs muscle in a little over 5 weeks...

Advertisement