Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto Outside Light Switches on Constantly

Options
  • 21-02-2013 10:54am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The last day or so the Auto sensor Light in my back garden is coming on by itself in daylight and also at night. It seems its not sensor related as i did cover the sensor last night and my actions didn't switch the light on but it continued to switch on by itself without any triggers. Could it be a wiring issue of some sorts or what do i need to check to try and fix this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I've seen a lot of the low cost sensors built into light fittings fail in this way, so that the light is always on.

You could try cycle the power: circuit breaker off for 10 seconds, and back on again, maybe that will reset the unit. Best of luck!

You may need a new sensor unit.suggest you get a good make such as a Steinel or Robus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

deandean wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of the low cost sensors built into light fittings fail in this way, so that the light is always on.

You could try cycle the power: circuit breaker off for 10 seconds, and back on again, maybe that will reset the unit. Best of luck!

You may need a new sensor unit.suggest you get a good make such as a Steinel or Robus.

Tried what you suggested but its still switching on and off. Its over 10 years old now so maybe time to get a new one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Before you go spending money, make sure the power is off, and open up the sensor case, and make sure that it's not become a home for spiders or similar, either in the sensor area, or actually on the circuit board, if eggs have been laid on the board, and become damp, that could be upsetting the board, or spiders on the move in front of the sensor could also be causing it to activate. The important thing is power off before you touch any of the board connections, as they all carry 240V.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Irish Steve is spot on, I've had this on many occasions. Insects seem to be able to permeate through the smallest of gaps. They could be sitting on the light sensor which doesn't effect the sensor straight away but has an amount of hysteresis built in to avoid nuisance operation.

Once opened, a dry paintbrush, compressed air or electrical contact cleaner could be used to clear out the wee critters. Any gaps you see can be sealed with a sealant gun. Another possibility is moisture ingress corroding the PCB causing erratic operation.

If Steves suggestion doesn't prove successful then you may have to replace the unit.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Just to add to this, we had a light come on at random times during the severe cold spell just over 2 years ago.

Turned out that it was some frozen cobwebs in front of the sensor which were moving in any slight breeze.

Cleaned them off and no problems since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement