Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time questions

Options
  • 21-02-2013 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

It's my first time renting and my girlfriend and I are both excited but clueless.were renting a house and well be the only one living in it.just wondering about a few things that should be included in the lease

1.does the landlord have too supply the bins?
    2.who pays the tv licence?
    3.do landlords normally supply cutlery and pots etc or the tenants?

These mite seem trivial but I'm not in the know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

MrMac84 wrote: »
    It's my first time renting and my girlfriend and I are both excited but clueless.were renting a house and well be the only one living in it.just wondering about a few things that should be included in the lease

1.does the landlord have too supply the bins?
    2.who pays the tv licence?
    3.do landlords normally supply cutlery and pots etc or the tenants?

These mite seem trivial but I'm not in the know.

1. Does not have to, no. Some do but tenants usually start an account themselves.

2. You do.

3. Yes, there is usually some basic stuff there. You will end up adding to the supplies anyway if there is something more you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

In my experience, it has always been the responsibility of the tenant to pay both the bin charges and the TV license.

Generally there will be cutlery, pots and pans in the house, but I would suggest that it is worth investing in your own as the ones in the house may have a questionable history.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Cutlery, cookwear and crockery are all cheap and I would most definitely recommend you buy your own! There may be some in the house already; find a box and put everything in it and leave it in the back of a cupboard somewhere...

You are responsible for the TV license.

Youll need to check with the landlord/agency about bins. In apartments they are usually covered in the rent (the landlord pays for them as part of their maintenance fee). In a house this is probably not the case, and it is your responsibility to sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thanks for all the answers that helped clear it up a bit...I think the new pots and cutlery are a must..

Has any one ever got hassle over cables for sky and UPC etc from landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In what way? If you need to drill holes in the wall then you might have a problem alright. If its just a case of running cables around the room then you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks for all the answers that helped clear it up a bit...I think the new pots and cutlery are a must..

Has any one ever got hassle over cables for sky and UPC etc from landlords?

If you have to install a satellite dish- you need the express permission of the landlord to do so. Check the walls out though- its possible that a previous tenant may have just left a dish attached to the wall- its easier to cut the cable than it is to get a ladder and take a dish down.

UPC / Sky etc- presumably they would be in your name and not your landlord's name. Therefore- I couldn't see any issue with it.

My personal preference would be UPC- and get their fibre optic broadband while you're at it- their basic package is a 50Mb package.

Advertisement