Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A life long dream. I made a game :)

• 21-02-2013 12:09pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think most people know that Boards.ie grew out of a community of gamers first. A community I was and am proud to be a part of.

If you know Gaelcon (Board games and Roleplaying convention) , well I had a hand in the foundation of that too. :)

I guess I'm kinda into games. :)

I've always wanted to design games though. When I was a lad and as an adult, I would design games in my spare time. Games I *knew* would never be published or made or even see the outside of my bedroom. I just enjoyed imagining them and creating the ruleset.

I think everyone who plays games wants, at some level, to make games.

Yesterday the company I founded last year, Gone Gaming ltd, published our first toe-in-the-water game on Android (coming soon on Apple... soon as they get the finger out).

You can download it for free here(Android only atm):
    http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gonegaming.thejump

I am very proud of what the team has pulled together. I'm also scared as f*ck because when your game is never going to be published you dont have to worry about it. :) Now our baby is going out into the wild and I just want to hide under the covers and gibber.

I'm very scared but also very proud and excited.

This is the game that people from this forum helped to mold and test and polish. Without their help it would not have been half as good. Thank you.

Please give it a shot (its free, and really its free, you can finish the game without buying any of the extras). Leave us a review too if you would, (its hard to get noticed in the store without them).
    But most of all, enjoy it half as much as we enjoyed making it. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Gratz m8, looks sweet. i'll give it a bash on the way to uni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Well done man and good luck with it. Unfortunately don't have an android device myself but looking at the youtube vid it looks very professional and well worth the download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Shill. Banned for a month.

:p:p

Good luck DeV (and Karl) .... hope it does well for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will download it tonight when I charge the phone. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Kicked off the remote download for the tablet. Will have a quick go, when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Would give it a bash, but cant download to a UK device.
    Hope it goes well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well thats one of my new favorites on andorid :) really cool game, love the music and how the controls are really responsive, good job

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We'll be releasing world wide when we get the ok back from the Apple people (who precheck all apps, whereas Android don't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

hope ye plan on doing more, good to see an irish start up gaming company, best of luck to yer endeavors DeVore

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Cool, I'll have a go when I get home later on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How ironic, that in a world when fun is outlawed, the pursuit to punish the offenders should be so...fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Congratulations guys! A lot of people don't appreciate the amount of effort it takes to final and release a game, that's a big deal.

You've come a long way since quake.ie :) Here's hoping it's the start of great things for Gone Gaming!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

downloaded, looks cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Yep, it's already sitting on my Nexus 7, will fire it up later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

DeVore wrote: »
    If you know Gaelcon (Board games and Roleplaying convention) , well I had a hand in the foundation of that too. :)

You're the reason I can never bloody go to the Guinness Jazz Festival! I should've shot you more in Spess Mehreen MP the other day...

Kudos on the game. I shall have to check it out. Hmm. Slow work day tomorrow, I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Kanye

About to take a dump. Will rate it on the basis of comparible dump-time games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

well done.
    what kind of programs did you utilize to make the game.
    e.g. 3dsmax, visual studio etc. game engine?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Sarky wrote: »
    You're the reason I can never bloody go to the Guinness Jazz Festival! I should've shot you more in Spess Mehreen MP the other day...

Kudos on the game. I shall have to check it out. Hmm. Slow work day tomorrow, I wonder...

The voice acting in Soulstorm was so great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Downloaded and rated, great little game, nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Disco Volante

Will have to rob the woman's phone so I can give this a shot! Congratulations hope it's a massive success for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Incompatible with all my devices says Google (Nexus 7, Toshiba AT100 and Galaxy S III)

Boo

*edit*

Ah, the problem is that I'm not in Ireland

Any chance of a PM with the APK? Would love to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭murphzor

Tried it on my nexus 4. Looks nice (very nice) and challenging.

2 gripes.
    Too many popups asking me buy stuff!

Swiping to change lane is too far towards the edges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Dev,

This is a life long dream for many gamers to do what you have done. But you actually did it. Major kudos.

My device htc one x+

The bad,

Load times were a little slow.

Unresponsive a few times to inputs. Tried rebooting etc, but their definitely seems to be a few bugs.

It is obviously a clone, but you have to start somewhere.

The good,

Graphically impressive,
    Excellent music,
    Very nice art work
    Very good for a first major release

If this is your first proper game, I can't wait for your second,

Well done to you and your team.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

murphzor wrote: »
    Tried it on my nexus 4. Looks nice (very nice) and challenging.

2 gripes.
    Too many popups asking me buy stuff!

Swiping to change lane is too far towards the edges.
    Heya, well the popups are designed to die off a little over time so you should see fewer of them and more context sensitive.
    Um, there is no swiping to change lane, its taps, so I'm not sure how thats even working for you! :) Thanks for the feedback though, its good to hear of people playing it finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Downloading now, I'll let you know what I think.

Advertisement