Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway with kids at the weekend?

Options
  • 21-02-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭

Will be spending next weekend in Galway city with 3 small kids, what would be the best things to do/places to eat? I believe it's to be dry but very cold, I'd appreciate any advice on indoor and outdoor activities, we're very familiar with the city but usually we'd go in the summer and spend most of our time in Salthill or a bit further west. I know there are lots of good eating spots in Galway and we've probably been to a few already but again any advice will be greatly appreciated, the kids are all under six but we do enjoy good food.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

The Aquarium in Salthill is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It has come up a few times over the years. These are some previous threads with suggestions for activities and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

places to eat

Have you been to Da Roberta's in Salthill? Good place with young kids. Might need to book for Sunday lunch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Gambas wrote: »
    Have you been to Da Roberta's in Salthill? Good place with young kids. Might need to book for Sunday lunch though.

Thanks, we've been there a couple of times alright, the food is very nice but you'd want to set aside a few hours, some of the slowest service we ever received was in there, were we unlucky or is this a general complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was fine when I was there. Galleon across the road might suit better, bangers and mash for the kids etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Thanks, we've been there a couple of times alright, the food is very nice but you'd want to set aside a few hours, some of the slowest service we ever received was in there, were we unlucky or is this a general complaint?

Unlucky, I think. I can't ever recall that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

There's a decent playground in Salthill too, near the Aquarium. There's a truly excellent one in Doughiska as well if you happen to be in the area and have the weather.

If the kids are small Eddie Rockets can be very good for food as it's fast and there are some good deals available- €25 for 2 adults and 2 kids meals for that.

Mr_A wrote: »
    There's a decent playground in Salthill too, near the Aquarium. There's a truly excellent one in Doughiska as well if you happen to be in the area and have the weather.

If the kids are small Eddie Rockets can be very good for food as it's fast and there are some good deals available- €25 for 2 adults and 2 kids meals for that.

Where is Doughiska close to? A truly excellent playground would be great, we've been to the one in Salthill a few times and it's good enough alright.

I'd be well up for Eddie Rocketts but my missus hates fast food:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Where is Doughiska close to? A truly excellent playground would be great, we've been to the one in Salthill a few times and it's good enough alright.

You don't like fast food or slow service, make up your mind.Anyone know somewhere in Galway doing medium speed food for Goldilocks here?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Doughiska is good but a bit out of the way. Cappagh playground is better than salthill plus if they aren't worn out you can stroll through Barna woods (quite small but to a kid it must seem big).

I often recommend the playground by the cathedral, walking along the canals, feeding the ducks, check out the old lock, then doing the town/market before circling back.

If your on the westside of town, want to keep out of the cold, and really wear them out take them to Monkey Business. Likewise Liesureland can be fun. Aquarium mentioned, good for a couple hours. Walk the prom and maybe walk out to mutton island.

Also there is a newish petfarm near Moycullen we liked: http://www.loughwellfarmpark.ie/

Kid friendly places to eat: lohans, oslo, robertas, eddie rockets, millanos, mcdonnaghs, cripes the list just goes on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Doughiska is near the roundabout as you come in on the Motorway is you approach from the east. The playground is near the centre here, the satellite view is out of date now.

It has just occurred to me that my daughter would be disgusted if she knew I had been of even the slightest assistance to Swiper the Fox. Please refrain from practising your thieving ways while in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Milano is always a good place to eat with the kids, The Kings Head have a great kids menu too, not just burger, chips and sausages on offer, La Trattoria on Quay St have always catered to my 3yr old fussy needs! I've found that lot of restaurants are generally pretty good at doing child portions if you ask.
    Hope you enjoy your stay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NewGrad

A drive to Salthill is always fun. Plenty of entertainment for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Milanos is the place to eat with kids.
    you can get some good vouchers online too.

Just past Salthill in Barna woods. Not huge but nice to walk and explore with them.
    Clarinbridge Woods too.
    Busy Bees if it's raining.
    Sunday (and maybe Sat too) there's very cheap kids films in the cinema by Headrord Road and Eye (eye more expensive).
    Walk from Spanish Arch over the bridge, along to Claddagh (playground there) and along the walk by the water.
    Or walk up the canal (playground along the way) and big playground by the cathedral. and many swans.
    Library in town is great for kids
    also look at mykidstime website

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 claregalway1

Finnegans is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

newkie wrote: »
    Doughiska is good but a bit out of the way. Cappagh playground is better than salthill plus if they aren't worn out you can stroll through Barna woods (quite small but to a kid it must seem big).

I often recommend the playground by the cathedral, walking along the canals, feeding the ducks, check out the old lock, then doing the town/market before circling back.

If your on the westside of town, want to keep out of the cold, and really wear them out take them to Monkey Business. Likewise Liesureland can be fun. Aquarium mentioned, good for a couple hours. Walk the prom and maybe walk out to mutton island.

Also there is a newish petfarm near Moycullen we liked: http://www.loughwellfarmpark.ie/

Kid friendly places to eat: lohans, oslo, robertas, eddie rockets, millanos, mcdonnaghs, cripes the list just goes on and on.

I have young children and i second everything in this post.

However, I am not a huge fan of Da Robertas either..have found them to charge us a great deal for some veg when one of our children was very young and their service can be slow on busy days. I'm not totally dissing the place. It's fine but there are better places. The Salthill Hotel bar does nice food. Coco cafe in Western House does nice lunches. Gourmet Tart is lovely.

Just back, lovely time was had, great weather. Ended up eating in the Twelve Pins hotel in Barna yesterday, my God that is some place for food, very good for kids also, Milano Friday night and Trattoria on Quay street today for lunch(not bad).

Went out a bit west yesterday and spent a few hours in Bridgets Gardens in Roscahill, a lovely spot.

Playground in salthill is wrecked, all the things are broken.

Advertisement