Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help dealing with an estate agent

Options
  • 21-02-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

My partner and I could do with some advise at the moment dealing with an estate agent. We saw a house Saturday that we really like and were present when another couple put a bid in. We went back to see the house Monday and Tuesday put our own bid in a couple of grand over the current bid but still below the asking price of the house.
    The EA told us he'd be in touch by Wednesday (yesterday) however we haven't heard anything back on our bid. We're fully expecting the other couple to put in another bid but is waiting two days for feedback usual? We're both first time buyers and the waiting has been driving us mad!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

play the waiting game. if you ring them the EA will know your very eager and will play you for every penny he can squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Toffypop

Is there a certain length of time we should leave it? I think we just hate waiting and I'd rather not leave it hanging over the week-end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Toffypop wrote: »
    Is there a certain length of time we should leave it? I think we just hate waiting and I'd rather not leave it hanging over the week-end

a bit of pain could save you 10k though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

I think it would be fine to ring for an update on Friday afternoon if they haven't got back to you.

If your offer is rejected, you should wait until next week until letting them know your decision.

Yeah if we don't hear anything today we'll give the EA a call tomorrow after lunch, we're aware that there's another couple interested who had put in the initial bid so we're expecting them to bid again. It's knowing how to play the EA game really isn't it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ring them tomorrow looking for an answer, and mention to them they you would like to know today and spoof that you have a viewing of another house on Saturday and would like to know where your offer stands with that house before your "viewing on Saturday". That way you might not look too eager for that particular house.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Ring them tomorrow looking for an answer, and mention to them they you would like to know today and spoof that you have a viewing of another house on Saturday and would like to know where your offer stands with that house before your "viewing on Saturday". That way you might not look too eager for that particular house.

That's a really good idea actually, there's no way I could leave it hanging ober the week-end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

The EA is leaving you hanging on purpose probably to gauge your anxiousness.
    A decent EA will be good with the basic psychology. Doesn't call back when they say they will. You call then call them. They know you're keen.
    Resist!

That's a really good idea actually, there's no way I could leave it hanging ober the week-end
    It's really not. Just relax and have some self control. Think about something else. Call the EA middle of next week if they don't call back first. The house will not be sold off and out of reach next week.

I think we're just conscious of another couple having a bid in. We were there when the couple put in the bid and the EA was fawning all over them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I think we're just conscious of another couple having a bid in. We were there when the couple put in the bid and the EA was fawning all over them

I've heard stories of Ea's inviting friends to come view a house so it appears busy also.

But yeah as others have said don't appear to eager, and if you get into a bidding war don't be afraid to walk away if it gets too much.
    The right house will come eventually.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, it's pretty consistent in that we need to sit pretty and wait it out. Always thought I was patient but way way off :D

The EA has your offer. It's better than the other one you were aware of. The EA knows you are somewhat interested. If there is a higher offer the EA will let you know to see if you'll bid higher. In the meantime he/she is letting you twist in the wind a little. That is their job.

What good could possibly come (from your POV) of desperately contacting the EA? What real harm will come of you leaving it a few days?

I've felt all this before having gone through a house purchase. I was able to control the urges but my wife couldn't. She's go ahead and ring the EA anyhow :D

groom wrote: »
    The EA has your offer. It's better than the other one you were aware of. The EA knows you are somewhat interested. If there is a higher offer the EA will let you know to see if you'll bid higher. In the meantime he/she is letting you twist in the wind a little. That is their job.

What good could possibly come (from your POV) of desperately contacting the EA? What real harm will come of you leaving it a few days?

I've felt all this before having gone through a house purchase. I was able to control the urges but my wife couldn't. She's go ahead and ring the EA anyhow :D

I suspect that's why I'm posting in a panic and the OH is as cool as a cucumber :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Call the EA and tell him your offer expires Monday at 5pm.

Thousands of houses out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Also maybe arrange a few more viewings through the same estate agent....its amazing how quickly this information will filter back to your EA....putting an expiry date on a bid is also a good idea.

Putting deadlines on bids and delivering ultimatums to estate agents are more likely to back fire on you because the estate agent is unlikely to be able to force a vendor to agree to your deadline.

When your deadline has past and you still have an interest / emotional attachment and good chance of getting the house, Your position is weakened if you have to row back from your own ultimatum.

Someone above said there are 1000s of houses out there. I think it is very unlikely that you will find more than 3 or 4 houses in a 6 month period that really suit you but get out there and view alternatives houses. Finding another suitable one is the best remedy to your anxiousness. It's a much nicer position to be bidding on 2 suitable houses than 1. Been there, done that in the last 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I don't think there's any problem putting a specific time limit on an offer. You can say you are currently viewing other similar properties and want to be able to put in offers on these if you see one you like.
    If the vendor turns down the offer, thank the estate agent and tell them you might contact them in the future.
    This won't weaken your position - if anything it will strengthen it as it gives the impression you are not obsessed about this particular house and are looking at other properties.

I think it's the radio silence from the EA that's really bothering me. We put in a bid Tuesday and it's Friday now, the EA told us he'd call us Wednesday and it's two days later and nada.
    At this stage I'm not calling him (I think I'm just annoyed at this point!) and we'll see if he rings us. We're still looking at other houses anyway in the interim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I think it's the radio silence from the EA that's really bothering me. We put in a bid Tuesday and it's Friday now, the EA told us he'd call us Wednesday and it's two days later and nada.
    At this stage I'm not calling him (I think I'm just annoyed at this point!) and we'll see if he rings us. We're still looking at other houses anyway in the interim

I don't think you're looking at this right.

This is a negotiation. His client is the vendor, not you. The EA is going to try and extract the most cash out of you, particularly capitalising on your sense of impatience and emotional involvement - he/she has none.

Unless the vendor is in a screaming hurry, if they sense that you don't have alternatives and that you really want this house, they are perfectly willing to wait a few weeks and get 20k more off you.

EA's are a breed apart and normal manners and niceties don't seem to apply. Getting upset or emotionally involved will only benefit them. Stay calm - presuming you've made a reasonable offer and have made it clear you are serious (finance arranged etc.) then there's nothing you can do to 'hurry' the EA up. All you're doing is emphasizing how desperate you are to close. Which, conversely, may encourage the EA to string this out to get as much €€€ as possible.

ps. This is just based on our experience. My wife is pregnant and EA's light up when they see the bump. I know they're thinking 'these people need to get this deal done asap before the baby arrives etc'. This is the game you're playing.

It's frustrating and boring and grubby. But you're playing it whether you want to or not. Well, unless you're willing to offer 50k more than the asking or something :)

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    It's frustrating and boring and grubby. But you're playing it whether you want to or not. Well, unless you're willing to offer 50k more than the asking or something :)

No we're definitely not going down that road :D All advice received is to sit pretty and wait so, as much as it kills me, I'll be doing that. The OH is great, he's no bother waiting it out!

I don't think there's any problem putting a specific time limit on an offer.
    What does Toffypop do when the deadline passes and she's (:p how's my assumption?) still interested?
    You can say you are currently viewing other similar properties and want to be able to put in offers on these if you see one you like.
    There's nothing stopping Toffypop from putting in other offers especially if an estate agent hasn't come back with a response when they said they would.
    If the vendor turns down the offer, thank the estate agent and tell them you might contact them in the future.
    A bit of radio silence from Toffypop is all that is required. The EA is a professional and deals with emotionally charged people daily. They aren't emotionally involved so keeping your cards close to your chest is best.
    This won't weaken your position - if anything it will strengthen it as it gives the impression you are not obsessed about this particular house and are looking at other properties.
    No. Making ultimatums does give the impression of obsession.

Hold the line Toffypop. Be the strong silent type. Wait until the EA gets back to you.

I'm definitely going to try and be the strong and silent type. Whilst driving myself and everyone around me mad!

Update: we just heard from the EA so the waiting is over, feel better now I hadn't cracked and rang him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

groom wrote: »
    What does Toffypop do when the deadline passes and she's (:p how's my assumption?) still interested?

There's nothing stopping Toffypop from putting in other offers especially if an estate agent hasn't come back with a response when they said they would.

A bit of radio silence from Toffypop is all that is required. The EA is a professional and deals with emotionally charged people daily. They aren't emotionally involved so keeping your cards close to your chest is best.

No. Making ultimatums does give the impression of obsession.

Hold the line Toffypop. Be the strong silent type. Wait until the EA gets back to you.

Regurgitating the points you've already made in a previous post is not really very enlightening.
    Given the subjectivity of the subject there is no definitive 'right' or 'wrong' way to conduct your negotiations.
    However, in my experience, my method is a far superior negotiation tactic than the one proposed by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Update: we just heard from the EA so the waiting is over, feel better now I hadn't cracked and rang him!

and........

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

And? I'm assuming good news?

my method is a far superior negotiation tactic than the one proposed by you.
    So how does your method work if your deadline has past but you are still interested?

Can't believe you've left us hanging like that

• Advertisement

Oh no our offer was rejected which is what we were expecting anyway. We're going to wait until the middle of next week before ringing back with another one and (try!) play him at his own game!

Advertisement