Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help dealing with an estate agent

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Who is the EA here?

God I hate them so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Are you allowed to name and shame EAs here?
    I have dealt with some total clowns......a structural surveyor I used on one house referred to them as "Prostitutes!" which I thought was rather apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Toffypop

I don't want to name the EA as we're still dealing with them, I'd love to know though what other people would do in our shoes. We haven't heard a peep since last week, would you ring them or leave it? We don't want to come across as too keen in case they try to wrangle more money out of us :rolleyes:

If you are really keen to push things forward.....I would maybe contact them and maybe call their bluff...say you are close to having an offer accepted on another property?

gmisk wrote: »
    If you are really keen to push things forward.....I would maybe contact them and maybe call their bluff...say you are close to having an offer accepted on another property?

I was thinking along those lines alright...only thing is that could backfire couldn't it!

• Advertisement

True....but I guess it might be worth it if you want a quick answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If the EA has a somewhat comparable property on his/her books, call to arrange a viewing of it. Say nothing about your latest offer.

It is a near-certainty that the EA will bring up the question of the place you have under offer. Your response should be that it looks as if that prospect doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Ball firmly in EA's court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jvlme

Why concern yourself with the arrangements between the EA and the vendor? That's their concern, not yours.

You made a time-limited offer; the time has passed and the offer has not been accepted. Your offer no longer stands.

So what's your next move?

I would advise the OP to tell you nothing, that's for sure. Mister multiple property seller, patron saint of EAs and vendors

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jvlme wrote: »
    I would advise the OP to tell you nothing, that's for sure. Mister multiple property seller, patron saint of EAs and vendors
    Constructive posts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

We had awful bother witha particular EA and they wouldn't return our calls when trying to arrange a second viewing. We liked the property so we contacted the owner directly, they ran a driving school and their number was on the car outside. We had nothing to lose really. So we called them and they were disgusted with the EA, so she showed us the property herself and she had much more info than the EA had. The EA called us liars and that she had contacted us etc but we'd no missed callls or voicemails. Anyhow we didn't end up getting the house and our experience with other EA's hasn't been much better. Feel like giving up and just renting in the area that we want to live in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Any update?

Yep - still waiting! There's another bidder 20k above us (still way below asking price though) and the EA never bothered ringing us to tell us that there was another bid. I'm really beginning to hate this guy to be honest. He never rings us with any updates :mad:

Hi all,
    Just wanted to update that we got the house at our offer so we're delighted with that :D Just goes mto show it's all a game with these guys but Boards advise of don't call him paid off - thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

So - In other words, the EA was bull****ting bluffing! :D

Well done. Hope all goes well and you have many happy years in your new home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Toffypop wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wanted to update that we got the house at our offer so we're delighted with that :D Just goes mto show it's all a game with these guys but Boards advise of don't call him paid off - thanks!
    Because of the €20k bluff, I'd consider dropping your offer by €5k now.

There's another bidder 20k above us

So this bid was bollocks was it? Was it your bid from the start of March that finally got accepted? Must have been a bit of a climb down for the EA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Because of the €20k bluff, I'd consider dropping your offer by €5k now.

maybe even 10k

Yeah it was our March offer that was accepted, we're delighted and getting bogged down now in the usual surveyor/solicitor malarky.
    Out of curiosity has anyone ever gone back after sale agreed and renegotiated the price based on the surveyor report?

Yeah it was our March offer that was accepted, we're delighted and getting bogged down now in the usual surveyor/solicitor malarky.
    Out of curiosity has anyone ever gone back after sale agreed and renegotiated the price based on the surveyor report?

I would imagine it is rare and you could risk alienating the vendors. But if there was something genuine that came up that wasn't obvious then you should definitely look for it. More appropriate would be to keep the price the same and get the vendors to fix the problem at their expense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

groom wrote: »
    I would imagine it is rare and you could risk alienating the vendors. But if there was something genuine that came up that wasn't obvious then you should definitely look for it. More appropriate would be to keep the price the same and get the vendors to fix the problem at their expense

its quite regular an occurance actually. Regardless of what the survey shows up id reduce my offer OP. The EA tried to screw you, now you have the opportunity to use your position of power to dictate to them.

Like others have said Id be reducing my offer by 5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

I was booked in to view a house that has been on the market for 5 years next Tuesday. Price was dropped in January and it looks an attractive prospect. The house itself is 100yards from a 20m high Mobile phone mast which is very visible. The estate agent obviously hasn't had much interest in the property but for myself and the 6 months pregnant other half it is an ideal location and the mast is a non issue to us(unless we were going to sell agin in the future). Here's where the fun starts, on arranging the viewing we were told there was an offer in. Now bear in mind, this house is currently at 1/3 of its original asking price and as stated is on the market since 2008. The offer may exist however I'm sceptical as the EA stuttered and stumbled when asked how long the offer has been put in. I booked the viewing last Monday. The EA phoned today and said they had to cancel the viewing as the vendor wanted to lay off the viewings as they've had so many possibly forgetting the fact that as I'm aware the house is unoccupied. Along with the usual chatter of oh the house is fantastic blah blah blah. I've lost all the faith... Is this an EA holding back the house for somebody he knows? Or is he just trying to make me feel like the house is much sought after to get more bobs out of me?

Advertisement