Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not having an early scan

• 21-02-2013 12:49pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're in Galway, so an early (12wk) scan is not part of the package here.

Last time we paid for one privately, but this time money is a bit tight as we have house repairs we need to get done.

I'll be getting dopplered in 5-6 weeks time at the GPs. But I'm wondering what the potential pitfalls of not having the 10-12 week scan are?

I think what brought this on was the fact that I had a dream that I was going to have twins last night. :eek: It's pretty unlikely as there is no history on either side and my tummy isn't too big yet.

Thoughts?

(BTW, I'm not too sentimental about scans, so that wouldn't be a factor for me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

From my experience the 12 week scan is important for dating the pregnancy properly,docs seem to go by scan more than dates as we all may ovulate at different times of the month.I'm suprised a dating scan is not normal part of your prenatal care but i'm aware things vary from hospitals!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

They changed my due date 3 times on the last one at later stages, so I don't really think it'll make that much difference.

I think last time what I liked about it was that I was able to say that, so far, everything was going according to plan.

I must actually check my medical insurance to see if it's covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

Yes peace of mind is also important,I had a early scan at 8 weeks with due date of april 8th,at my 12 weeks scan they changed that to april 6th and said that one is more accurate at that stage but I do find doctors/nurses and technitions seem to all have varying opinions on this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We got one both times for dating. I'm an odd ovulator so it was for our own planning, plus the reassurance of seeing the heartbeat was lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I'd say just to establish whether it's twins, or (heaven forbid) ectopic, for example.

I found it highly annoying and potentially dangerous that you don't get the early scan here - thankfully, I got one when I went home, and my GP here also has an ultrasound and she was happy to give me quick check at 12 weeks.

Galway (well, UHG) really is abysmally behind other count(r)ies in antenatal care ;-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

no early scans in holles street either. i got one privately the last two mostly for dating though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I thought Holles St did a mini quick scan at the booking appointment? I've heard some hospitals now don't do routine anomaly scans at all. World class maternity care my ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

lazygal wrote: »
    I thought Holles St did a mini quick scan at the booking appointment? .

This is true. I'm on my 3rd pregnancy with HS and I've always had a mini-scan at my first appointments (public system)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No early scan on my second or third (no scan at all on my third until I presented in hospital with broken waters but... we won't talk about that as it's not the norm :eek: ).

If I could have afforded it I would have gotten it done though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Actually i should say i was with the bray clinic but under holles street so only offered the 20 week scan. they may give mini scans if u attend the hospital for booking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement