Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change from Outlook back to Hotmail

Options
  • 21-02-2013 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Can anyone help me change from Outlook back to the Hotmail interface please?

I don't have the option to click on the gear icon in the top right hand corner of the screen and select "Revert to Hotmail" like I have been reading online, and I also don't have an Outlook account. It just seems as if my Hotmail has been hijacked by Outlook and when I try to sign in I'm just taken straight to Outlook instead.

I've been reading something about my Hotmail address expiring in 30 days as well and I haven't a clue if that will happen or not now. I'm confused and pissed off, so if someone could help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

raz86 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me change from Outlook back to the Hotmail interface please?

I don't have the option to click on the gear icon in the top right hand corner of the screen and select "Revert to Hotmail" like I have been reading online, and I also don't have an Outlook account. It just seems as if my Hotmail has been hijacked by Outlook and when I try to sign in I'm just taken straight to Outlook instead.

I've been reading something about my Hotmail address expiring in 30 days as well and I haven't a clue if that will happen or not now. I'm confused and pissed off, so if someone could help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-outlook/archive/2013/02/18/outlook-com-leaves-preview-as-fastest-growing-email-service.aspx

I don't know where you read that, Microsoft aren't forcing anyone to get rid of their Hotmail email addresses. You may be confusing it with Microsoft retiring their old Messenger IM service and replacing it with Skype.

As far as I know, the option to revert only existed during the preview. I looked at my own account and that option disappeared, I was using the new interface all through the preview period. I guess that now the new interface is out of beta, they'll get rid of the old interface entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭raz86

Hi,

Thanks for you reply. I was reading somewhere that everyone will end up with an outlook.com email address instead of Hotmail. I don't know if that's true or not, I just don't want anything happening to my email account.

I never had to sign up for an outlook.com account. I still have the hotmail.com ending and I log into Outlook using that.

I'm just wondering am I going to get changed over to outlook.com at some stage or does it stay as hotmail.com forever or what? And yeah you could be right about the preview thing, I have no option to change back to the Hotmail interface now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The e-mail addresses aren't going to change. there's no benifit to do it, as you may have subscriptions or accounts with many service providers with it as a contact point.

All that's changing is they are being managed through one platform, which is Outlook.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

raz86 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for you reply. I was reading somewhere that everyone will end up with an outlook.com email address instead of Hotmail. I don't know if that's true or not, I just don't want anything happening to my email account.

I never had to sign up for an outlook.com account. I still have the hotmail.com ending and I log into Outlook using that.

I'm just wondering am I going to get changed over to outlook.com at some stage or does it stay as hotmail.com forever or what? And yeah you could be right about the preview thing, I have no option to change back to the Hotmail interface now.

According to the blog post I linked to earlier, no. I signed up for a new Outlook.com email address, and the old Hotmail address was added to my account as an alias, so I still get mail for that address.

If you didn't sign up for an Outlook.com email address, the address you're currently using won't change, you're just accessing it through a new interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭raz86

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't given an option to create an outlook account. It just started redirecting me to outlook to sign in but I'm still using my hotmail address (to sign in), so I thought it might get rid of my hotmail account eventually. Apparently not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

hotmail is being retired... your hotmail address will still work but the old hotmail interface is going to be scrapped sometime next year and replaced with a web brower version of outlook interface which is already available.

personally i prefer the outlook interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

My hotmail account has just changed to the new outlook and i cant open attachments, when I tried to forward the message it does not attach the attachment for sending..help

Advertisement