Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for gas?

Options
  • 21-02-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I am renting an apartment with my gf and the gas is shared with the landlord that lives above us. We have an agreement that we give him 25 euro a month towards gas. The only gas appliance in our apartment is a gas cooker. He has now said he wants 40 a month off us which is just over a euro a day from us for gas.

My question is would a gas cooker use that much? We cook our breakfast and dinner on it daily.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

€25 is loads. You could probably run the same cooker off a bottle of gas for less. I just have the hob (no oven or grill) and a yellow bottle lasts about 3 months for a family of four.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

€25 is even too much for just cooking for two people.

We have gas for cooking and heating. In the summer (no heating use) our bill if roughly €25 for two months use.

But, if you're happy stick to the €25, and don't pay the €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

A more skeptical person might suspect that you are being asked to fund his heating bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My summer gas bills, which included the entire standing charge and the cooker, were about a tenner a month. Prices have gone up a bit since then but not much.

You are paying the entire standing charge *and* subsiding/paying for his entire use at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Here's an example of price for gas comsuption: we use an external tank to supply gas to our stove (the only gas appliance we have). With moderate use - i.e. cooking twice a day it has lasted about 7 months since we last got it filled - for less than 90 euro. (It shows o signs of emptying either).
    So I guess you are paying for supply charges, installation charges or even heating for the the apartment above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Seems steep. My bill was €105 for the central heating for TWO months over December and January.

Had it on 3 to 4 hours a day most days, don't think a cooker would use a fraction of that. I have no gas cooker though so not 100% how much it would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

even the €25 is a total rip off
    €10-15 is more realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

We got a multi fuel stove in last year trying to bring down our heating bills. We use the stove every day and only have the gas on for max 2 hours a day sometimes less. We also use gas hob for some cooking use electricity for our main cooker with esb. Our average bill is still 250 euro a month and in our opinion we use very little gas. At this rate we must have a gas leak.

Any suggestions please? could it be our boiler as reading this thread I think the bill should be a lot less ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Just for info, our last gas bill in a well-insulated apartment was €212 for the last two months.

Now:

They were the coldest months recently,

The girlfriend likes her heat,

This was for central heating and hot water; no cooking.

scholes wrote: »
    We got a multi fuel stove in last year trying to bring down our heating bills. We use the stove every day and only have the gas on for max 2 hours a day sometimes less. We also use gas hob for some cooking use electricity for our main cooker with esb. Our average bill is still 250 euro a month and in our opinion we use very little gas. At this rate we must have a gas leak.

Any suggestions please? could it be our boiler as reading this thread I think the bill should be a lot less ?

A leak is extremely unlikely without you noticing it - gas (well, its deliberate smelly additives) smells pretty nasty. Get the boiler serviced or consider replacement if its pretty old.

Condenser boiler, gas cooking and leaky windows = 150 was my highest bimonthly bill, 2 bed mid terrace mind.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    A leak is extremely unlikely without you noticing it - gas (well, its deliberate smelly additives) smells pretty nasty. Get the boiler serviced or consider replacement if its pretty old.

Condenser boiler, gas cooking and leaky windows = 150 was my highest bimonthly bill, 2 bed mid terrace mind.

Yeah we need to get it serviced, I put a request in to Bord Gais so am awaiting a call back. The boiler is about six years old and I hold my hands up I havent had it serviced since. It was a new baxi boiler put in by the cowboys that built our extension. In the meantime we have had to have floor replaced and a new roof put on kitchen extension joists included ! so maybe there is a problem. The gas bill before we got the stove was well over 300 euro for every 2 months. I am hoping the service guy will do something to improve the efficiency if that's possible. I am really hoping this is the issue as I am typing this there is no gas on , only the stove! Thanks Again.

Other things to check for are water leaks (hot water leaking, cold water coming in from header tank - not an issue if you've a sealed system assuming you've no open inlet valve either) or somewhere where the hot pipes are exposed to the cold. If you've a shoddily built extension I'd want to make sure that there isn't a nice windy gap where the hot pipes are getting cooled!

MYOB wrote: »
    Other things to check for are water leaks (hot water leaking, cold water coming in from header tank - not an issue if you've a sealed system assuming you've no open inlet valve either) or somewhere where the hot pipes are exposed to the cold. If you've a shoddily built extension I'd want to make sure that there isn't a nice windy gap where the hot pipes are getting cooled!

Thanks Myob, think pipes are ok at least I hope they are and its a closed system, but its only ever on for 2 hours max every day , sometimes not even that so I cant understand why it costs so much

Advertisement