Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Maynooth (Non-Student)

Options
  • 21-02-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at renting a 2-bed apartment in Maynooth. Looking at Straffan Wood, may be having a viewing there next week.

Estate agent has quoted a rate of 950 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment both double rooms and suggested this is as cheap as that would be.

Anyone around that area? What sort of place is it? Classed as a 2 minute walk to the train station but surely more than that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I'd say it is more like a 10 minute brisk walk to the station - there is a back way. Unfortunately the agent is probably right about the rate - I looked in Maynooth about a year ago and the market for rentals has exploded - absolute crap for high prices. The cheapest I saw would have been about 800 and it was horrible.
    I wouldn't go for Straffan myself but there are nice spots like Castlepark for apartments and Kingsbry for houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,801 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every estate agent in Maynooth appears to be able to walk faster than driving speed.

Straffan Wood apartments are very, very poorly sound insulated (actually, so are the houses, but you've nobody above you then).

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Not exactly promising then! There are apartments in Newtown Court for 950 a month but its a little outwith my budget if I am being honest. Would have taken it in a heartbeat as well. I heard the cable and broadband connections are not great there in Straffan Wood as well.

The cable company that wired Straffan Wood went under and the assets are owned by Digiweb who don't seem bothered.

There's patchy cable BB in older estates, some bits of the Meadowbrook/Beaufield/Brookfield area have UPC, some don't. Think most of the very old estates are fine though strangely.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe http://www.daft.ie/21311451 for €825?

Central enough, about 5 or 10 minutes walk to the train station. The ONLY bit is that you'll want the front windows to be very soundproof, as the road outside is used a rat-run to bypass the village centre, and but there's ramps there to ensure people go slow, and these probably helps stop the "noiser" cars go past.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Maybe http://www.daft.ie/21311451 for €825?

Central enough, about 5 or 10 minutes walk to the train station. The ONLY bit is that you'll want the front windows to be very soundproof, as the road outside is used a rat-run to bypass the village centre, and but there's ramps there to ensure people go slow, and these probably helps stop the "noiser" cars go past.

Thanks for that. Looking for two double rooms - the estate agent who I contacted said it is not easy to find an apartment with two double rooms in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

I found alot of landlords in Maynooth had single beds in the rooms when I was looking for an apartment last year. They also were not willing to replace them with doubles, and the 'single' room in one case could easily have taken a double bed and bedside lockers!
    this was my experience with numerous landlords and/or the estate agents. I and my friend both work full time and had great references from previous landlords, but no joy.
    Hopefully you will be more fortunate.

Lived in Straffan Wood, was burgled 3 times in 6 months, alot if houses and apts were hit same time.

Also beware any apartments advertised as ' decorated and fitted to a high executive standard'. The gall of thr estate agent, I nearly choked on the combined smell of damp, mould and mothballs.
    This was in a gated complex across from Supervalu, name evades me at moment, even though I walk by it every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Estate agent is talking bull.

You can get a 3 bed house for that in Maynooth easy.

Straffan wood is more like 15/20 mins walk to the train station and has no UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Can highly recommend Manor Court, right down the town opposite Glenroyal, should get one for E800. UPC, free bins, only problem is if you get one near the road might be a bit of noise. I enjoyed living there, central to everything.

thalia_13 wrote: »
    This was in a gated complex across from Supervalu, name evades me at moment, even though I walk by it every day!

Manor Court, believe its the oldest apartment complex in the town - might be 30 years old or so now. Management Company formed in 1985.

I can remember before it was gated, people used it to park for the town centre constantly.

• Advertisement

Not exactly brimming with confidence now about Straffan Wood!

Wireless internet and good television signal would be required, as well as a secure environment obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Looking for two double rooms - the estate agent who I contacted said it is not easy to find an apartment with two double rooms in the village.
    €950 for two doubles; http://www.daft.ie/21312889 but you'd want to ensure the sound proofing is good.

€900 for three doubles http://www.daft.ie/21305219 but it's BER is E2, so you'll be probably fairly cold.

€800 for two doubles http://www.daft.ie/21309197 on the Main Street.

€900 for two doubles and a single http://www.daft.ie/21311064 about 15 minutes walk from the train station.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MYOB wrote: »
    The cable company that wired Straffan Wood went under and the assets are owned by Digiweb who don't seem bothered.

There's patchy cable BB in older estates, some bits of the Meadowbrook/Beaufield/Brookfield area have UPC, some don't. Think most of the very old estates are fine though strangely.

Most of the older estates were all cabled for NTL back in the 70's/80's
    UPC replaced a lot of the cabling in the Maynooth area over the past 18 months- and providing you can get UPC- you're almost guaranteed to have fibre to the door (and a 100Mb connection if you want it, though who would, when their basic package includes a 50Mb connection).

Avoid Digiweb or Eircom broadband like the plague. Wireless broadband might be an option- most of the Maynooth area has really good signal strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Classed as a 2 minute walk to the train station but surely more than that?
    Check to see if they said "2 minute drive". It's a 1km walk from the junction on Straffan Road (and a few hundred metres more into the estate) to the station. Can the estate agent walk at 30km/h? Note that the world record for running 100m is about 36km/h.

ask him what is he isn't telling the truth about.

Advertisement