Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Law

Options
  • 21-02-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a general question for you regarding the sourcing of the most up to date firearms law...I just want to know if you need to read through all amended Statutory Instruments on this page: http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_ammunition_legislation

...or if there is a single up to date pdf of the complete law?

My questions which I'm looking to answer are: Is an unmodified double barrel shotgun considered a non-restricted firearm? My licence is unlimited as I hunt game but there is no mention if it is restricted or not...so I'm just assuming that as it is 28 inches, capable of only firing 2 rounds that it is non-restricted.

Following that, I would then be able to store the firearm broken into its respective parts in separate places in my house and with a trigger lock on the trigger housing.

I have printed out SI No 21 of 2008 as this is the most up to date version regarding the classification of restriction as the amended S.I. No. 337 of 2009 only amends Article 3(1) and Article 4 (2) Subparagraph d which doesn't reclassify what is a restricted firearm.

I have also printed out SI No. 307 of 2009 for the storage conditions.

Am I missing any more "up to date" amendments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

scorphonic wrote: »
    My questions which I'm looking to answer are: Is an unmodified double barrel shotgun considered a non-restricted firearm? My licence is unlimited as I hunt game but there is no mention if it is restricted or not...so I'm just assuming that as it is 28 inches, capable of only firing 2 rounds that it is non-restricted.

Following that, I would then be able to store the firearm broken into its respective parts in separate places in my house and with a trigger lock on the trigger housing.

Yeah it's unrestricted and you may be allowed to store it broken up but the Super can insist you install a safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

It's the other way round in that your license would/SHOULD show that a firearm was 'restricted' Otherwise it's unrestricted.

Yes and you can store it in parts as you say.

BUT AFAIK if you have more than 2 firearms you need a gun safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

scorphonic wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just a general question for you regarding the sourcing of the most up to date firearms law...I just want to know if you need to read through all amended Statutory Instruments on this page: http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_ammunition_legislation
    ...or if there is a single up to date pdf of the complete law?
    Nope, at least nothing official. And I don't think that DoJ page has everything, though it's the most complete list I've seen yet. There's some mention of firearms in various road traffic acts, byelaws, and the like that aren't there.
    My questions which I'm looking to answer are: Is an unmodified double barrel shotgun considered a non-restricted firearm?
    The answer is it depends.
    If it's a regular old double-barrel, no fancy detaching/telescoping stock, no pistol grip, and the barrels are longer than 24 inches, then yes, it's a non-restricted firearm.
    Am I missing any more "up to date" amendments?
    No, but you are missing the point that the secure storage SI is only the minimums required by law and that the Superintendent is perfectly within his rights to request more than those minimums so long as it's not a blanket precondition (and you do have the right to challange his request in the district court if he refuses you the licence over it but unless he was asking for 24-hour guards standing watch around a strongroom built into the house's basement, I don't think it'd be worth trying that).

In short, if he asks you to buy a gun safe, buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Ah great, thanks for the clarification.

I've never been asked to buy one so I'll stick with the conditions as laid out in the current laws and keep a close eye on it for future reference.

Thanks a million!

Kieran.

Advertisement