Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decorative/Driveway Pebbled Area - Membrane Recommendations

• 21-02-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭

I have a patch of ground, c25 square metres beside a cobblelock driveway. I am creating a raised bed on the boundary and laying decorative pebble on the parts that straddle the cobblelock.

From time to time, the car may stray onto this pebbled area.

I have dug it out to 4 or 5 centimetres below the level of the cobbles, I want to put down a membrane onto the soil and cover with say 14mm pebbling. I will not be cobbling this area as it would not tie in with existing cobble. I need a decent membrane to stops weeds growing under the pebbles but also capable of withstanding the car. I would like to have option of being able to plant one-off grasses/shrubs in this area in the future if I want.

Options on the membrane are Terram 1000 mini pack (c€55) or Mypex 1mx50m (€50).

Can somebody guide on what I should do here re membrane. I don't know if I have enough depth for hardcore and I wonder if its needed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have pebbles on hardcore in one area. Weeds are not a problem - you will always get a few as they can grow actually in among the pebbles without apparently any soil. Leaf and other debris does get washed down between the pebbles and provides a small amount of material for weeds to grow on, but they are easy to get rid of.

I have pebbles on membrane in another area. Weeds are a minor problem as it is not good quality membrane - my fault - and some weeds can burst through it, especially very tough things like poppies and thistles. Even so it is not a major issue, but I wish I had put down better quality membrane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Id use the Mypex..thats what we did when building the gardens.
    Theres also Mypex membrane installed under the entire driveway too.

If the car is going to be driven over that area every now and again,then you would want a good 3-4 inch layer of compacted/whacker plated 804 hardcore, so that you have a sturdy/solid base for the cars weight.

You can dig out the odd hole here and there and fill with compost and manure for future grasses and shrubs.

Another option is to install honeycomb grids and you then fill these in with your pebbles.

They can each take up to 20 tons of pressure before they give way.

I would still lay the Mypex membrane under these though...for added piece of mind.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

paddy147 wrote: »
    Another option is to install honeycomb grids and you then fill these in with your pebbles.

They can each take up to 20 tons of pressure before they give way.

I would still lay the Mypex membrane under these though...for added piece of mind.:)

The grids look useful. Any recommendations re supplier? Are they expensive? I'm on west side of Dublin.

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    The grids look useful. Any recommendations re supplier? Are they expensive? I'm on west side of Dublin.

B&Q sell them in Liffey Valley.

I think that Goodwins Builders Providers sell them too.

Most good garden centres and nurseries sell them.

Tullys Nurseries in Balyboughal have them.

Cant remember the price though,sorry.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The last time I looked at having my driveway pebbled, the honeycomb stuff pretty much doubled the price.

Large 3 axle trucks driving over it this morning.

Not a budge on it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi you could a plastic pallet,for about 5 e ,they coveN2E1MzIxNDNjOGE5YjRkNDJiYjY3MjI3NjM1MzY4MmNuZSul5chD9HOk6Bchw7iHaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMDUyMmZlNTY1YjVhNzBhNGY5YWZlZGQyZTNmNDYwNjBhMWRkZGIzNzdmMzQ1YmY2ZTgyMThkOGEwNmQwYTNkZC5qcGd8fDI5NHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpgr a m2,jack

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi you could a plastic pallet,for about 5 e ,they coveN2E1MzIxNDNjOGE5YjRkNDJiYjY3MjI3NjM1MzY4MmNuZSul5chD9HOk6Bchw7iHaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMDUyMmZlNTY1YjVhNzBhNGY5YWZlZGQyZTNmNDYwNjBhMWRkZGIzNzdmMzQ1YmY2ZTgyMThkOGEwNmQwYTNkZC5qcGd8fDI5NHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpgr a m2,jack

Ive only ever seen them in a co-op in Wicklow before.:)

Advertisement