Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Rucksack

• 21-02-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So ..

My backpack is literally falling apart and ive decided to get a new one. So I am just wondering if anybody has any suggestions ? My price range is between 50-100 euros. Looking for something that can store a lot, has the possibility to become high-vis/waterproof(So I am thinking some sort of cover) and most importantly it was too free up around my neck.

I found with my old rucksack that it was pretty hard to turn my head the full way so I could safely preform a lifesaver. It was still possible but deffinatley not comfortable.

I am also open to the idea of saddle bags as I drive a Suzuki Marauder 125 but Im worried about bringing them around places and security.

So yeh...Any ideas folks!? What do you use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Louis has a Moto-detail drybag on special for 49.95 at the moment.
    Looks good and big and waterproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

OP, I have a normal gym bad with the waterproof rucksack insert. The bag is just strapped on the seat behind me. Never any problems and the weight and size matters less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I use a Knox backpack. It's triangular shaped to put all the weight on your hips so it prevents strain on your back. Due to this it hangs lower than most rucksacks so you won't have any trouble with lifesavers. Also most of the room is at the bottom.

The capacity is 25 litres but it can fit a laptop, shoes and a change of clothes in it. I've gotten shoe boxes into it once :)

It's completely waterproof and string part at the back pulls out so you can carry your helmet there.

I got mine from Crossan's at the last RDS Bike show so they should have them at the one in 2 weeks. Then you can see for yourself if it'll do the job you want. I think Knox have a new version out and it comes with a High-vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

If you can stretch the budget a little bit (or try the bike show in March) I'd say get a Kriega backpack. I have the R25 and have used the R30 and they're brilliant pieces of kit.

Chest buckles take the weight off your shoulder so you hardly feel it when its on.

Out of the box they're 'water-resistant' but you can get waterproof liners for them, that said though, I've ridden through some monsoon-like rain with my R25 on and it only let in a tiny bit of water around the zip at the top.

The R25 cost me €125 IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭gipi

Did you consider a tank bag? I had a marauder 250 and used one for anything I needed to carry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Got one for ten or fifteen in Lidl a couple of years ago.

I find it very good, it has side nets, separate front zip pocket, strap to go around waist (you can tuck that away too) and a hi viz cover you unzip from the bottom.

Back is padded too but that doesn't matter with bike gear on anyway.

Can't remember if it was advertised as waterproof or not but I use it all year round and my stuff is grand.

Tried to find a link for it but they're all dead, if you aren't in a rush I'd say they'll be stocking them again in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

http://www.louis.de/_20f55f30a39ebe5ca2696b4c2f24137b7b/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10026241
    I bought this not long ago and found it pretty good.
    Can fit a lid inside it, it's water resistant as it is and has a waterproof cover if it's really lashing. There's two straps to go across your chest and take the weight off of your shoulders and they are continuously looped so the loose ends don't flap about in the wind.
    No issue with lifesavers whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I use an alpinestars tech Aero backpack. You can get them for around 150e delivered from the US. Its not really in the price range u specified but you wanted waterproof an they're the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I can recommend without hesitation the Kriega R30....its an absolute cracker of a bag that is also 100% waterproof. It is pricey but you get what you pay for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXux0Bo5RLI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Okay cheers for the replys guys. Really helped me out. I am probably gonna pick one up around the bike show this weekend as well as a new pair of boots!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Apologies for bringing up an old topic but I ended up picking the Kreiga R25 today at Bikeworld for 125 euros. Seeing as I only got it today I cant say much but Ill give a little review after a week or two just incase theres some people sitting on the fence as to wether its worth the money or not.

Best backpack money can buy for a motorbike is KRIEGA, it consistently wins every award around and are 100% waterproof. They are pricey but worth every penny, I got mine a 30L in megabikes for €130 and 2 years later and major use and its still like new.

Obviously you can get cheaper but just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I also recommend KRIEGA. They are the best you can buy I know plenty of lads that have them. I have the 25L and it does me fine. I do regret not getting the 30L but no biggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Apologies for bringing up an old topic but I ended up picking the Kreiga R25 today at Bikeworld for 125 euros. Seeing as I only got it today I cant say much but Ill give a little review after a week or two just incase theres some people sitting on the fence as to wether its worth the money or not.

im in the market for a rucksack and was looking at kriega. cant decide between the r25 and the r30.

if you could post a review when you get a chance it would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

They are well worth the money. I've got the R25 and you can cram loads into it. Three or four years of regular use and it nearly as good as new.

AFAIK the 35L I have is 100% waterproof the others are not....I remember this as I need it for my camera and the others did not fit the bill. Plus all Kriega packs come with a 10yr warranty.

http://www.kriega.com/r30/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    AFAIK the 35L I have is 100% waterproof the others are not....I remember this as I need it for my camera and the others did not fit the bill. Plus all Kriega packs come with a 10yr warranty.

http://www.kriega.com/r30/

Do you mean your R30, Wonda (not R35)?

rat_race wrote: »
    Do you mean your R30, Wonda (not R35)?

Sorry yes the 30L one....DOH!

I also have the R3 waist pack and its brilliant, one of the best things I bought for use with my motorbike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Sorry yes the 30L one....DOH!

I also have the R3 waist pack and its brilliant, one of the best things I bought for use with my motorbike.

I was about to call you a rich mofo!

What's the main difference between the 30 and 35? 35 seems to be a bit cheaper, which has be confuzzled!

rat_race wrote: »
    I was about to call you a rich mofo!

What's the main difference between the 30 and 35? 35 seems to be a bit cheaper, which has be confuzzled!

I could be wrong on this BUT AFAIK only the R30 is 100% waterproof. It was a while ago I did my research into the bags but that is the main difference, now you can buy the inner bag that makes them all waterproof at an extra cost if you wish.

I have seen the R35 and IMO the design is not as good as the R30 but then again it was a much older pack....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

There's a Kriega rucsac on Adverts at the mo. (It's not mine.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I can recommend without hesitation the Kriega R30....its an absolute cracker of a bag that is also 100% waterproof. It is pricey but you get what you pay for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXux0Bo5RLI
    Bloody hell, just watched that video. I don't need a bag, but I want the R30! He says at the start of the review that it's the only 100% waterproof Kriega bag. Looks like god made it.

Its well worth the initial outlay BIG TIME!

Advertisement