Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outbreak of dog virus in Mayo

• 21-02-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard this on the radio:
    http://www.midwestradio.ie/mwr/index.php/news/13223-outbreak-of-virus-affecting-dogs-in-west-mayo-area.html

Outbreak of virus affecting dogs in West Mayo area
    Thursday, 21 February 2013 09:07
    An outbreak of a contagious virus is affecting dogs in the Newport/Tiernaur area.
    A number of dogs have died after contracting the virus and a local vet is warning dog-owners that it is a contagious outbreak.
    Dogs which are not vaccinated are susceptible to the virus and local vet John Corrigan says that people should take care walking their dogs or with other dogs coming into their property.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

How weird that they don't specify which virus, and which vaccination is required to keep the dogs safe. I'm guessing parvo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Surely all dogs are vaccinated these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

**Vai** wrote: »
    Surely all dogs are vaccinated these days?

are you serious? i would say no more than 30% are. (just a guesstimate btw).

my dog was vaccinated about 18 months ago.
    just wondering should i get her a booster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Unfortunately not Vai, that's why it's still not uncommon in this country for a dog to contract and die from Parvo.

Completely agree with ISDW, why didn't they name the virus? At least let people know what they're dealing with so they can look for symptoms, disinfect appropriately, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I agree - thought it was very strange that they didn't say what it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Agree that it is strange they didn't name the virus, must be Parvo.

space_man wrote: »

As you've left it so long, you'll have to start the whole vaccination program from scratch. Your dog is now unvaccinated, you need to get it done every 12 months to keep the efficacy up, or get the dog titre tested. The initial course of vaccinations isn't actual completed until the dog has had the first booster 12 months after the first course, so even if people choose not to vaccinate each year, and more and more people want to leave it for longer, the first 12 month booster, has to be done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ISDW wrote: »
    As you've left it so long, you'll have to start the whole vaccination program from scratch. Your dog is now unvaccinated, you need to get it done every 12 months to keep the efficacy up, or get the dog titre tested. The initial course of vaccinations isn't actual completed until the dog has had the first booster 12 months after the first course, so even if people choose not to vaccinate each year, and more and more people want to leave it for longer, the first 12 month booster, has to be done.

Depends on if that was the dogs first vaccine. If it's had a booster a year after the first puppy vaccinations, it may be ok for three years. New guidelines were issued a few years ago that adult dogs only need parvo and distemper boosters every three years, rather than yearly

Having seen mystery viruses show up in the past, it's often thought to be parvo, but can also be one called corona virus, something which is not routinely vaccinated against here, and which is as bad as parvo :(

Stheno wrote: »
    Depends on if that was the dogs first vaccine. If it's had a booster a year after the first puppy vaccinations, it may be ok for three years. New guidelines were issued a few years ago that adult dogs only need parvo and distemper boosters every three years, rather than yearly

Having seen mystery viruses show up in the past, it's often thought to be parvo, but can also be one called corona virus, something which is not routinely vaccinated against here, and which is as bad as parvo :(

I made the assumption that it was the dog's first vaccinations, as the poster said the dog was vaccinated 18 months ago, and wondered if a booster was needed :) Just pointing out that the first 12 month booster is vital, no matter if you then decide not to vaccinate each year. It is also recommended that Lepto is given each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Dead serious. Maybe I fell into the trap of thinking most dog owners are responsible.

As ISDW said, if its your dogs first vaccination, you're starting again and hoping your dog hasnt caught anything.

• Advertisement

**Vai** wrote: »
    Dead serious. Maybe I fell into the trap of thinking most dog owners are responsible.

As ISDW said, if its your dogs first vaccination, you're starting again and hoping your dog hasnt caught anything.

thanks for that guys!
    yes it was her first vaccination, so i had better get her to the vet 2morrow and get the ball rolling again.

i usually have her on a leash, but being a Jack Russel she's very sociable and always wants to mess about with other dogs. i presume that's how most of these viruses get passed, ie dog to dog contact.

thanks for that guys!
    yes it was her first vaccination, so i had better get her to the vet 2morrow and get the ball rolling again.

i usually have her on a leash, but being a Jack Russel she's very sociable and always wants to mess about with other dogs. i presume that's how most of these viruses get passed, ie dog to dog contact.

Unfortunately a lot of them are airborne, so if it is particular virulent, your dog doesn't have to have physical contact with another dog, even just walking where another dog has been previously can be contagious.

it's very curious that the type of virus has not been mentioned.

could the "explanation" be poisoning?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

it's very curious that the type of virus has not been mentioned.

could the "explanation" be poisoning?

The explanation could be as simple as the type of virus hasn't been identified.

I remember an outbreak of what was thought to be parvo which turned out to be a particularly nasty strain of corona, and it took a while for it to be figured out.

Poisoning would be easy enough to determine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Mr Mountains brought our little dog for his yearly boosters last week, he said the people before him walked in with their dog, and the poor thing came out of there in a body bag :(. It hadn't been vaccinated and had caught something (don't know what specifically).
    You'd be so heart broken wouldn't you, I think I could understand if you had lots of dogs and it were really costly, but then why take on lots of dogs if you don't have the money for their vaccinations ? Maybe in some cases if people were rescueing as many as they could, better to rescue and not vaccinate than not rescue at all I suppose. Cases like that I'd understand.
    Our vet only charges around 40/50 euros I think for full vaccinations (including rabies) and he even did worming and fleas that day on top of that for that price, I think that's really honest and reasonable.

I'm in South East, hope this thing is not gone nationwide, there would be a lot of casualties allright.

It can be expensive if you have a few dogs, and as Stheno has said, isn't really necessary every year now, but as my dogs go into kennels, and we travel, I do get them done each year, have two due now, I just spread them out over the year so I don't feel it so much. We have foster dogs in the house quite often as well, so I like to know my lot are protected. I also like them having their annual check up at the vets, they get their temps taken, heart and lungs listened to, weighed, eyes and ears looked at, worth the money I think for the peace of mind :)

So sad about the dog walking into the vets and not coming out :(

the reason i raised the poisoning question is because Newport seems like a very rural area for this type of outbreak to occur. i know there has been a problem with farmers having their sheep killed in that area and they are very angry about the damage caused by stray/unhoused dogs.

that said i agree any vet ought to be able to differentiate between the two fairly quickly. but that's assuming the dogs have been brought to a vet in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Its thought to be a Parvo outbreak but not officially confirmed...Vets in the surrounding area were told its Parvo and to prepare for a potential increase in cases as isolation needs to be set up for dogs with the disease within clinics.... Plus given that few places in Ireland have access to the Corona vaccine....(if its even licensed here?I have not come across it in Ireland.) I think its safe to say its the most likely culprit

Severe corona virus and Parvo are very similar in their initial symptoms so I would not be surprised if any vet could not say 100 percent which a dog had without doing further tests. Both produce severe diarrhoea and rapid dehydration particularly in the immunosuppressed animal ....ie puppies....with severe corona infections there is sometimes has blood in the poo,Parvo more commonly has blood a very severe diarrhoea with rapid deterioration and the dogs also can be vomiting.

Corona is less commonly diagnosed as its usually not as severe so samples are not sent off for analysis bar ruling parvo out using a snap test.Corona however is thankfully rarely fatal once the dehydration is treated. The same cannot be said of Parvo due to the severe internal damage it causes

A dog with bloody diarrhoea and dehydration could have a severe infection of the corona virus but would look like a Parvo case. If treated symptomatically and no snap tests done to distinguish the two apart it is not to far of a stretch to imagine that many "parvo" cases that survive did not have that particular virus in the first place. Bar perhaps the smell......parvo often has a fairly distinctive horrific smell to it :(

Parvo, Adeno, and Distemper vaccines....(all covered in a combi injection) are 3 yearly once the initial course and booster have been given. Leptosporosis however still requires an annual booster.

From what I have heard from vets in Mayo is that this isn't the normal few cases of Parvo that vets see every few weeks around the area(Parvo virus is still common in the Mayo region for definite...and not unusual at all in most small animal practices across this country)It is a full on spreading outbreak in the area.

Edited to add...My practice charges 25 euro for a booster injection and exam.50 for the full initial two injection course and cheaper if there are several pups to be done.

If you cannot afford to stretch to 25 euro to prevent fatal diseases in your pet I would question why you have one.....perhaps that is a harsh opinion but I am low on pity for people who plead money problems. Put down to many dogs lately that should not have had to die for having poor and somewhat neglectful owners.

Aru wrote: »
    Plus given that few places in Ireland have access to the Corona vaccine....(if its even licensed here?I have not come across it in Ireland.) I think its safe to say its the most likely culprit

I believe it's licenced here, I've known vets in Dublin, Kildare and Laois who have been able to offer it. It's just not commonly given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I'm a bit confused. So the most likely culprit is the corona virus, yet it's rarely fatal.
    The midwest article was reporting fatalities. As I'm in Mayo I'm a bit unsettled by this news. My boys are vaccinated and up to date but it sounds like that wouldn't include corona.
    Should I take this up with my vet as to why this isn't part of the routine vax?

• Advertisement

Binka wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. So the most likely culprit is the corona virus, yet it's rarely fatal.
    The midwest article was reporting fatalities. As I'm in Mayo I'm a bit unsettled by this news. My boys are vaccinated and up to date but it sounds like that wouldn't include corona.
    Should I take this up with my vet as to why this isn't part of the routine vax?

No one has come out and confirmed which virus it is to be fair. Going by what Aru said, it's believed it's an outbreak of parvo though which if your dog is vaccinated then they are covered against.
    Corona is not one of the core vaccines that are recommended for dogs, therefore, it's not that commonly used. Parvo on the other hand is a core vaccine. Anytime I've been in a vet that had it, it was part of a combination of vaccines as in the link below.

http://www.vetstreet.com/care/canine-coronavirus-vaccine

No one has come out and confirmed which virus it is to be fair. Going by what Aru said, it's believed it's an outbreak of parvo though which if your dog is vaccinated then they are covered against.
    Corona is not one of the core vaccines that are recommended for dogs, therefore, it's not that commonly used. Parvo on the other hand is a core vaccine. Anytime I've been in a vet that had it, it was part of a combination of vaccines as in the link below.

http://www.vetstreet.com/care/canine-coronavirus-vaccine

I had my JR vaccinated today. The place was very busy with concerned owners doing same.

The vet said he felt the outbreak was parvo. He gave her the once over and thankfully my wee dog seemed to be fine. €35 (also covered Corona) so seemed good value tbh.:)

I had my JR vaccinated today. The place was very busy with concerned owners doing same.

The vet said he felt the outbreak was parvo. He gave her the once over and thankfully my wee dog seemed to be fine. €35 seemed good value tbh.:)

Good for you :) Someone who knows the science more may be able to post more on this, but apparently the more you have dogs vaccinated in an area, the lesser the risk of the live virus affecting dogs, read this before, it might be related to houses, but not open spaces, but essentially the act of vaccinating dogs reduces the likelihood of the occurence of an outbreak of the viruses vaccinated against.

I actually think vaccinations are one of the best value services offered by vets. They generally will do a quick check up, let you voice concerns and if it's something quick give you advice, or advise on anything you need to follow up on, and your pet gets the shots they need.

Seems very little to pay the same or less than the cost of a 15e bag of food, and get that value for it.

Yes, I treat my pets' boosters visit as their annual check up, unless anything else pops up during the year, that's the only time they go in, and our vet always gives them a good once over. It's worth it.

i agree.
    without being overly sentimental, she gives my family such joy €35 is very a small price to pay for her continued health 'n happiness.

Yes, I treat my pets' boosters visit as their annual check up, unless anything else pops up during the year, that's the only time they go in, and our vet always gives them a good once over. It's worth it.

Same here, now mine are all old, youngest is five/six (rescues so not certain on age) so they get a three yearly booster and lepto every year, but outside of that barring an accident/fight they'd rarely be in, until they get really old and might have arthritis/old people/dog illnesses.

Yeah, my cat is nine and I can see him growing older, I'm thinking it might be a twice yearly check up for him from next year, we'll see. He's fine, fingers crossed it will last, has just slowed down a good bit and the naps are longer ;)

edit : what's lepto ?

Yeah, my cat is nine and I can see him growing older, I'm thinking it might be a twice yearly check up for him from next year, we'll see. He's fine, fingers crossed it will last, has just slowed down a good bit and the naps are longer ;)

edit : what's lepto ?

Lepto is shorthand for leptospirosis (sp?), have you heard of weils disease where people catch a very very nasty virus from rats urine?

Lepto is the dog version of weils. Very dangerous if you don't vaccinate your dog against it if they swim regularly, or are around a lot of farm/rural areas, not to say they are immune in an urban areas, but more high risk. It's not just rats, other animals can carry it too, but rats would be the most common.

Dreadful dreadful thing to catch, hits the liver and kidneys, and it's an awful awful illness. It's fatal something if not caught in time. My wolfhound developed kidney disease and died from it and the vet initially thought i was lepto but thankfully it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I actually think vaccinations are one of the best value services offered by vets. They generally will do a quick check up, let you voice concerns and if it's something quick give you advice, or advise on anything you need to follow up on, and your pet gets the shots they need.

+1 Our vet goes over them with a fine tooth comb checking everything! A dog in our park was in for vaccinations and the vet felt a lump - cancer :( Now the poor thing died recently but he was on chemo for a few months and in great form, they were able to spoil him and prepare themselves for letting their boy go. :( (he was only 6)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    +1 Our vet goes over them with a fine tooth comb checking everything! A dog in our park was in for vaccinations and the vet felt a lump - cancer :( Now the poor thing died recently but he was on chemo for a few months and in great form, they were able to spoil him and prepare themselves for letting their boy go. :( (he was only 6)

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I'm always checking dogs and making sure they don't have any lumps and bumps. I found a wee lump on one of my regular mindees once and was dreading telling the owner. She got the vet to check it out and he removed it but there was nothing sinister about it and it was ok. I wonder do some people barely pet or rub their pets sometimes?

Advertisement