Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outbreak of dog virus in Mayo

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I'm always checking dogs and making sure they don't have any lumps and bumps. I found a wee lump on one of my regular mindees once and was dreading telling the owner. She got the vet to check it out and he removed it but there was nothing sinister about it and it was ok. I wonder do some people barely pet or rub their pets sometimes?

Sometimes it can be hard to spot.

Over the years my eldest dog was always getting lumps/growths of some sort and the vet removed them. Luckily no problems.

But recently I was washing him and I spotted 2 warts. With his thick coat (cocker) I didn't see them when he was dry. Vet checked them and said that older dogs get warts and there was nothing to worry about.

Normally I only wash the dogs every 3 months. Thinking now I better do it more frequently as a health check for growths that are hidden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We were in on Thursday getting boosters. I would much prefer to get them less often than yearly, but because they're in kennels a lot I get them done as close to yearly as possible. (we were a month late this year :))

Full check up and the vaccinations came to 80 for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

A vet based in Claremorris was talking on MidWest Radio news today. She said she had 2 cases of parvo in dogs from Claremorris and Ballyhaunis. She was blaming the mild winter for the outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

A WESTPORT-based vet has recommended the immediate vaccination of dogs, particularly young pups, following the outbreak of a strain of a contagious virus which has resulted in the death of three dogs.
    Canine parvovirus has been detected in dogs in the Newport and Tiernaur region in the last week. The virus has resulted in the death of three dogs and more have been hospitalised. The contagious virus is especially severe in puppies, and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and internal bleeding.
    The mortality rate for the virus is very high when left untreated. It can also cause pregnant bitches to abort their pups. Older dogs are also at risk. Healthy adult dogs are generally immune to the effects of the virus.
    John Paul Corrigan (pictured)of the Lodge Veterinary Hospital in Westport told The Mayo News that canine parvovirus is a very contagious and severe type of virus. It is not contagious to humans, but can be spread indirectly by humans if they come in contact with affected dogs. He urged farmers in particular to vaccinate their animals.
    “The farm dog is typically not vaccinated, and it is farm dogs who suffer the most. It mostly affects young pups under a year, pregnant bitches and older dogs. This virus is particularly severe. Affected dogs run up high temperatures, which leave them vomiting, and they become dehydrated very quickly.
    “The best way to prevent a dogs being infected is through vaccination, although it takes between ten and 14 days to take effect. Any dog that is vaccinated properly should be close to 100 per cent safe, and I would encourage people to have their dogs vaccinated,” he said.

Source
    The virus is believed to have been brought into the Newport area by a young pup that was brought in from outside the county a week before the outbreak. It spread from Newport towards the Tiernaur area but has not been detected in any other area. This is the first time Mr Corigan has come across the virus in Mayo, but he has treated it in Dublin and he expects more dogs to be affected before it ‘peters out’.
    However, he said that the strain was ‘very stubborn’ and recommended that farmyards where an infected dog was present should be thoroughly disinfected.
    “People should avoid farms where the virus was detected to prevent it spreading. The virus is also very stubborn and can remain in the ground for many years, and there may be a repeat outbreak in the future. Anyone who has a dog which contacted the virus should give their yard a thorough cleaning and disinfection,” he said. The number of cases of Kennel cough, a common respiratory infection has been reported to have risen in Mayo recently with claims that it is picked up by dogs along the Greenway.
    John Paul explained that dogs brought to Mayo can sometimes spread diseases but added that Kennel cough was one of the most common diseases in Ireland. But he has not seen a substantial increase in the number of Kennel cough cases since the opening of the Greenway.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17197:vet-urges-vaccinations-after-virus-outbreak-kills-three-dogs&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As far as I'm aware, dogs aren't allowed on the Greenway as it crosses privately owned farmland, so not sure what relevance that has to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Its worrying the amount of people who dont vaccinate their pets :(.There was a dog a few months back in Leixlip who had parvo and lepto? poor dog was in agony when brought into vets:(he died very shortly afterwards,he was too far gone :((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

ISDW wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, dogs aren't allowed on the Greenway as it crosses privately owned farmland, so not sure what relevance that has to anything.

no you are correct, dogs are not allowed on the Greenway.
    but then again you are not allowed to have a dog without a licence, you're not allowed to let your dog poop everywhere, you're not allowed to let your dog wander at night-time, your'e not allowed to let your dog chase cars ...............:(

Advertisement