Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Computer Recommendation

Options
  • 21-02-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a good reliable bike computer for indoors and outdoors use. I have the Cateye wireless Cadence and it's breaking my heart! Stops working every second day so time for the bin.
    I would also like to upload the data afterwards to Garmin connect or Strava. I have a Garmin forerunner and know I can get the cadence sensor but would prefer to not to have to check my watch for speed during the likes of a duathlon.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Anyone recommend a good reliable bike computer for indoors and outdoors use. I have the Cateye wireless Cadence and it's breaking my heart! Stops working every second day so time for the bin.
    I would also like to upload the data afterwards to Garmin connect or Strava. I have a Garmin forerunner and know I can get the cadence sensor but would prefer to not to have to check my watch for speed during the likes of a duathlon.
    Cheers

Quick release for it on the bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

tunney wrote: »
    Quick release for it on the bars?

A nice to have but not bothered if it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A nice to have but not bothered if it doesn't.

Sorry as in buy a quick release that allows you to use your Garmin on the bars?

tunney wrote: »
    Sorry as in buy a quick release that allows you to use your Garmin on the bars?
    Ah gotcha, sorry! Mmmm hadn't thought of that one, they not fiddly during transitions? Fairly slow so I need all the seconds I can get!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I wear my garmin on my wrist for racing and just turn it so it's facing in rather than away from my body. Find I can check out the speed no problem this way, if you pair it with the cadence sensor you might be able to use it on the turbo too.

• Advertisement

Tis amazing where a bit of research will get ya :rolleyes:. I have an older 205 which won't work with the cadence sensor so that's not an option. My 410 is not multi-sport and from what I can see I can only get the bike mount and not the quick release so it's a pain in the ass if I am mixing sports. Open to correction/suggestions here.

Is it worth flogging the 410 and upgrading to the 910 full tri package?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

I've used my 405 in a couple of races. I attached it to the bars with one of these that I usually use for my bike light, and then just stuck it on my wrist for the run. Not having the multisport option meant that I spent a few seconds resetting and restarting the watch during T2 but it was easy enough to do on the move so it didn't seem to slow me down too much, though I did nearly run into a barrier :P

It's not ideal, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 910 myself, partly for ease of use during races, but reported reliability issues are making me hold back. A clubmate spent 70 of our 80k cycle last week variously giving out about/trying to fix his almost brand new 910 :eek:

Advertisement