Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could UPC ever increase their speeds?

• 21-02-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

UPC have the fastest broadband in the country- we all know this. Their top speed is 150Mb, which is fantastic compared to other providers.

My question is: could UPC ever increase this?
    They moved the standard up to 50Mb at the flip of a switch. But, could they ever increase things to 200Mb, or higher?

For example, could we find, this time next year, that you could get a package with 200Mb or higher broadband?

I'm on the DOCSIS 3.0 Cisco EPC3925 modem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Yes they can go as far as 400 mbit with DOCSIS 3.0 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Actually think they have gone to 1.4Gbit on Docsis 3 with channel bonding. They demoed it last year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

UPC increases are about marketing. If people are willing to pay for 150mb when increase it?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

1.4gbit requires 28 x 50mbit channels

the Cisco EPC3925 modem that the OP has only supports 8 so max of
    400mbit given then current hardware.

But yeah in theory they can do n x 50mbit to deliver any speed but
    realistically 400mbit will be the highest for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lala_dos

They moved the standard up to 50Mb at the flip of a switch.

Can anyone tell me if the step up to 50MB is being rolled out gradually by UPC or should everyone who had a 25MB package see an increase in speed?

I've been on a basic 25MB UPC package for about a year and there's been absolutely no change in the speed, it's still consistently about 22MB even though Craig Doyle:mad: keeps telling me otherwise. Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

lala_dos wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the step up to 50MB is being rolled out gradually by UPC or should everyone who had a 25MB package see an increase in speed?

I've been on a basic 25MB UPC package for about a year and there's been absolutely no change in the speed, it's still consistently about 22MB even though Craig Doyle:mad: keeps telling me otherwise. Am I missing something?

You're probably on an old package. If you're out of contract ring them up and talk to the "loyalty department". You should be able to get a better speed/deal but note you'll be agreeing to a new 12 month contract.

Are you getting 22MB wired or wireless? If wireless, it'll depend on the modem you have and the device you're connecting with. If either only have the wireless G standard, the max over wifi will be ~22MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are you getting 22MB wired or wireless? Depending on the modem you have and the deive your connecting. If either only have wireless G standard, the max over wifi will be ~22MB.

So unless you have an 'n' router there's no point in having download speeds faster than 25 MB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

dulpit wrote: »
    So unless you have an 'n' router there's no point in having download speeds faster than 25 MB?
    Essentially.. yes!

If you go for the higher speeds, you should get a new modem which has wireless N. What modem do you have? Make/Model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Essentially.. yes!

If you go for the higher speeds, you should get a new modem which has wireless N. What modem do you have? Make/Model?

I've only got 25mb, so it doesn't matter. Does me fine too...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lala_dos

I'd have to check my a/c but I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a 25MB package anymore, everything was automatically upgraded to 50MB supposedly.

The connection is wireless. I had been using a dinosaur of a laptop, which I was blaming for the speed. I had to replace it recently and the new one isn't any better.

So basically from what you saying, UPC are providing the faster speed but not the routers to cope with it. That's clever of them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So basically from what you saying, UPC are providing the faster speed but not the routers to cope with it. That's clever of them.

Plug in a cable instead of using wireless, a cable can cope with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think I get 50mb either. A checked a couple months back and it was in the 20's. I'm either on a N Wifi card and Router or one of the faster powerline adapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks all for your replies. So, it is technically feasible.

But- will they do it? Do we think that it may happen within the next year to stay at the top?

Why is anyone else likely to catch up with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

If eircom's top FTTC speed is going to be 70Mb/s then UPC don't really have any incentive to increase their maximum speed of 150Mb/s. They may however decide to increase their basic package speed, to say 100Mb/s, to keep their advantage over eircom for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭cathal_flynn

I've 1mb or less at times... Stop moaning :(

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

They might keep your broadband the same 25MB or whatever. If you ring them and say why am i not getting 50 they'll switch you over right away for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I'd have to check my a/c but I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a 25MB package anymore, everything was automatically upgraded to 50MB supposedly.

The connection is wireless. I had been using a dinosaur of a laptop, which I was blaming for the speed. I had to replace it recently and the new one isn't any better.

You can't buy it now but old customers can stay on the package. They sneakily kept bumping up the price of my bill until I threatened to leave.

I honestly don't see the point in increasing my speed. I watch Netflix in HD wirelessly, can download a full concert in minutes, can play Fifa online wirelessly (sometimes not wirelessly) and the speed is rarely below what the max is.

What's the point in having a faster speed? My contract is up for renewal so wouldn't mind trying to get a deal on increasing it if the higher speeds were any use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

theidiots wrote: »
    They might keep your broadband the same 25MB or whatever. If you ring them and say why am i not getting 50 they'll switch you over right away for nothing.

Depends on your router/modem thingy. I could change to 50MB but they want me to buy a new modem and that will cost me €90!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depends on your router/modem thingy. I could change to 50MB but they want me to buy a new modem and that will cost me €90!

Not unless you're upgrading 2 modems!
    Upgrade is €45

• Advertisement

I checked mine I'm getting 25~26 with WiFi N and also with my Power-line adapter. I think I'm on the 25mb, I also have no problem with HD on Netflix etc. I still get problems with latency and pings all over the shop in gaming though.

I didn't want to upgrade because ( I didn't need to) I didn't want to sign up to a new 12 month contract as I was thinking of dropping the phone and TV. Then again I've been saying that for over a year and done nothing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

I imagine the focus will be on upstream over downstream soon anyway with the growing popularity of "cloud" based services like dropbox and Google Music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I was remoting into a client (who has a DSL connection) over a VPN on UPC the other day. My upload was faster than their download so it took me a while to copy some (relatively) small files up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Very few cities and towns enjoy 150mb across Europe. If your not a business what would you need this kind of speed for realistically. Maybe in 15 years this speed will be considered slow for doing things. But in todays world this is amazing speed for doing stuff. The UPC upload is not great, but it more than enough to get on with things successfully.

I imagine the focus will be on upstream over downstream soon anyway with the growing popularity of "cloud" based services like dropbox and Google Music.

Upstream is going to be even more important in future years with next gen consoles. You'll be able to stream on it this platform and sent straight to youtube clips of your gaming. So Eircoms 320kb upload is going to annoy lot of gamers in Ireland. Also gaming is mainly about upload not download (UDP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Yeah, have to agree on the upstream bottleneck here. 10mb up is a joke on a 150mb connection. 30-50mb would be reasonable, for torrenting anyways :p

BostonB wrote: »
    Why is anyone else likely to catch up with them?

Companies constantly need to evolve, and Eircom, BT, Sky, and the like will need to play catch-up. The fact that one company literally trump everyone else in the market on speed is unthinkable. Well, maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration- but it is fairly significant.
    ElNino wrote: »
    If eircom's top FTTC speed is going to be 70Mb/s then UPC don't really have any incentive to increase their maximum speed of 150Mb/s. They may however decide to increase their basic package speed, to say 100Mb/s, to keep their advantage over eircom for marketing purposes.

As above- they need to play catch-up for marketing reasons.
    Forget the company- but look at Three- the option to have something better always sells.

They offer unlimited 'all you can eat' mobile internet (FUP of 15GB, not limited to that, but it *might* be throttled after), something no other network are doing, pay as you go or bill pay. It sells. People like the idea of more, for the same price (€20 p/m) matched to other competitors.

If UPC offer a faster speed for the same or better price than a competitor, people would go for it. If Eircom, as a total example, offered 100Mb broadband for €50 p/m, and UPC offered 200Mb for €55, you'd go for the better speed for a few quid- regardless if you needed it or not.

You can't buy it now but old customers can stay on the package. They sneakily kept bumping up the price of my bill until I threatened to leave.

I honestly don't see the point in increasing my speed. I watch Netflix in HD wirelessly, can download a full concert in minutes, can play Fifa online wirelessly (sometimes not wirelessly) and the speed is rarely below what the max is.

What's the point in having a faster speed? My contract is up for renewal so wouldn't mind trying to get a deal on increasing it if the higher speeds were any use.

You should call them and ask for the loyalty team. As I said before, in another UPC thread, I am getting:

2 UPC boxes - one standard, one HD
    Top TV pack with HD
    Unlimited Anytime World Calls
    100Mb Broadband

for €55 (roughly) per month, or something around that figure. That is fairly close to their introductory price as far as I recall.

It pays to blag.

...The fact that one company literally trump everyone else in the market on speed is unthinkable. Well, maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration- but it is fairly significant.....

Not really. It didn't happen overnight. UPC did a lot of upgrading of the local network. I think in my area D.15 there's been at least 2 very major cable upgrades to the infrastructure. Whereas my phone line can't get data, and I have no reliable means of getting that fixed. Eircom didn't want to know, and still don't. With that attitude the competition isn't going to catch up any-time soon.

That's the issue- Eircom are doomed to fail for their lack of innovation, transmission improvements, service level, and general attitude towards moving forward.

Feck them, I say. If it wasn't for the jobs and the potentially affected small-medium enterprises, I'd say let them collapse. Waste of a company.

• Advertisement

That's the issue- Eircom are doomed to fail for their lack of innovation, transmission improvements, service level, and general attitude towards moving forward.

Feck them, I say. If it wasn't for the jobs and the potentially affected small-medium enterprises, I'd say let them collapse. Waste of a company.

Not going to happen, Eircom is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Eircom, controls most of the active phone lines in Ireland and, we can't away from the fact, the majority of internet users inside this country, still would be using ASDL broadband to get their internet.

Eircom, for all their problems is still in control of broadband across Ireland . And who besides Eircom or UPC will change the Irish broadband landscape?

The Irish government doesn't seem interested in getting involved and solving our broadband issues. The Irish government is leaving it up to industry to decide were they'll invest ( least it seems that way to me)

This is the story realistically- Eircom will invest in areas they consider commercially suitable and the areas not commercially suitable will continue as normal ( meaning no upgrades to local exchanges) If you live in rural area or small town don't expect any upgrade for least ten years or more!

Only hope for you is 4G, but the cities again will be served first. So again years before 4G will be seen in most rural areas.

Bottom line is Eircom is king ( if you live outside a city) don't expect miracles.

Advertisement