Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could UPC ever increase their speeds?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

And who besides Eircom or UPC will change the Irish broadband landscape?

Emm, the ESB when they roll out FTTH next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I hope they don't price it like they do the Electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

lala_dos wrote: »
    I'd have to check my a/c but I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a 25MB package anymore, everything was automatically upgraded to 50MB supposedly.

Not if it's not available on your particular street. I don't know what the criteria is for rolling it out but I know on some streets in my estate the full 150 is available, and despite contacting UPC and a mail telling me I can get a free upgrade to 50MB it's apparently not available on mine. 25MB is supposed to be the max, but I'm on 30MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Sponge Bob wrote: »

But isn't that location specific though? How many homes in rural Ireland will benefit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And will this even be a credible service, at a good price, offering something that customers will want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

But isn't that location specific though? How many homes in rural Ireland will benefit?

Same for UPC tbh. In fairness you can't expect full services if you decide to live away from population centers. That said I'm in D.15 and can't get BB on my phone line. Rural it ain't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes, it will extend to perhaps 1 in 5 homes but generally not ones where UPC is available. Nor will the rollout be more than about half the size of the current UPC network today...and that network is frozen at around 50% or less of homes and is not expanding.

Add ESB and UPC and you get maybe 70-75% of homes which with eircom VDSL could eventually reach 80% of homes with access to 1-2 advanced networks.

The final 20% of homes will be the difficult bit and most especially as the EU, at a meeting chaired by Enda Kenny, abolished the fund to co finance eny such rollout effort out to the year 2020.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lala_dos wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the step up to 50MB is being rolled out gradually by UPC or should everyone who had a 25MB package see an increase in speed?

I've been on a basic 25MB UPC package for about a year and there's been absolutely no change in the speed, it's still consistently about 22MB even though Craig Doyle:mad: keeps telling me otherwise. Am I missing something?

There is no automatic upgrade. You have to request it and agree to a new 12 month contract. Presumably UPC's way of hanging on to customers. Keep tying them down as products improve.

Advertisement