Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do ?

Options
  • 21-02-2013 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

A while back I created a thread regarding the process of getting recommendation letters from lecturers (for some grad programs). Now, this problem is solved as I found two lecturers who can potentially write me a recommendation letter.

However, this problem is only partially solved as one of them asked for my transcripts, which is absolutely understandable. I currently have a 2.1. Nonetheless, in third 3rd year, I went abroad and failed 50% of my classes with very low grades in Semester 1. Second semester was much better as I passed all of my exams with high marks. I ended up passing my year with no resists but still, those grades will truly hinder my chances at getting a good recommendation letter.

Now, because I have to send them all of my transcripts, I am not sure on what to do. I mean, they might change their mind when they find out I had a really really bad semester 1 in 3rd year. I'm pretty sure these transcripts won't work in my favor at all, especially as there were no extenuating circumstances involved.

What should I do ?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

A while back I created a thread regarding the process of getting recommendation letters from lecturers (for some grad programs). Now, this problem is solved as I found two lecturers who can potentially write me a recommendation letter.

However, this problem is only partially solved as one of them asked for my transcripts, which is absolutely understandable. I did really well in their classes, and I have had a GPA which equals to a 2.1. Nonetheless, in third 3rd year, I went abroad an failed 50% of my classes with very low grades in Semester 1. Second semester was much better as I passed all of my exams with high marks. I ended up passing my year with no resists but still.

Now, because I have to send her all of my transcripts, I am not sure on what to do. I mean, she might change her mind when she finds out I had a really really bad semester 1 in 3rd year. I'm pretty sure these transcripts won't work in my favor at all, especially as there were no extenuating circumstances involved.

So are you on course for 2.1 or is this a typo?
    What should I do ?

Thank you.

So are you on course for a 2.1 or is this a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

My apologies, I was working on something else at the same time I didn't pay attention. I'll correct this right now.

However, my grammar mistakes are not the point of this post.

My apologies, I was working on something else at the same time I didn't pay attention. I'll correct this right now.

However, my grammar mistakes are not the point of this post.

From what I recall of your previous thread you were hoping to get into a respected Canadian law school, worrying about the letters of recommendation with a 2.1 GPA (pass degree) seemed a little bit unnecessary. So I wasn't correcting grammar mistakes, just trying to figure out if you were wasting your time.

POSSY wrote: »
    From what I recall of your previous thread you were hoping to get into a respected Canadian law school, worrying about the letters of recommendation with a 2.1 GPA (pass degree) seemed a little bit unnecessary. So I wasn't correcting grammar mistakes, just trying to figure out if you were wasting your time.

Hum. I see. What I meant is that I have do a GPA which leads to a 2.1, literally. I've had this GPA since year 1. Third year (Semester 1) was however a disaster.

I wouldn't bother applying if I didn't have a 2.1 as the minimum GPA to get in is 3.0.

I'm sorry, my brain isn't functioning properly today.

Hum. I see. What I meant is that I have do a GPA which leads to a 2.1, literally. I've had this GPA since year 1. Third year (Semester 1) was however a disaster.

I wouldn't bother applying if I didn't have a 2.1 as the minimum GPA to get in is 3.0.

I'm sorry, my brain isn't functioning properly today.

If you've had a 2.1 every year then I don't see the lecturer will have any issues. You went away to France in third year and your grades suffered a bit... you're not the first and you won't be the last so just send on the transcripts and relax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Your reading way, way too much into this. They just want to see your not a chancer. They certainly won't peer review every exam and year.

On the other had, if Canada got a look at the transcript it may be an issue. I presume you want to practise law there? And as such having French would be a huge bonus. Having failed major exams in France it may be a stumbling block or at least require clarification. If it was me, I'd be looking for a reference from the college in France as a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

ironclaw wrote: »
    Your reading way, way too much into this. They just want to see your not a chancer. They certainly won't peer review every exam and year.

This. When lecturers ask for a CV or a transcript after agreeing to write a reference, it's often so they have more information to write a nicer one - they don;t know you very well, but by looking at your data they can make that less obvious.

ironclaw wrote: »

On the other had, if Canada got a look at the transcript it may be an issue. I presume you want to practise law there? And as such having French would be a huge bonus. Having failed major exams in France it may be a stumbling block or at least require clarification. If it was me, I'd be looking for a reference from the college in France as a backup.

I know. However, I only failed 4 exams in total. All the others, I passed with high marks as stated above.

The degree I'm applying for is a Common Law one, in English.

I can't ask for a reference in France as lecturers don't provide references at all. They clearly refuse to do so. The French academic system is a bit different. References are not a common thing in France. Besides, the lecturer I asked a reference to and who requested my transcripts, is my French Law lecturer in UCD.

Without going into details, the failed first semester has nothing to do with my level of French at all. The thing is that we had French law classes in UCD and I got an A+ every single semester. I clearly can't comprehend what happened in Paris.

Furthermore, I had a 2.1 GPA every single semester in UCD. The reason why I posted this thread is because I know those grades don't work in my favor at all. Truthfully, I feel ashamed and that's why I asked for advice. Those transcripts are really embarrassing.

I sent her the transcripts regardless, with a little note regarding those grades. I wanted to address it frankly just in case.

Advertisement