Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

MugMugs wrote: »
    It's very straight forward. The OP is being led a merry dance.

How do you know that without the facts? Perhaps (and I'm not saying it is the case) the OP is the cause of the delay

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

oldyouth wrote: »
    How do you know that without the facts? Perhaps (and I'm not saying it is the case) the OP is the cause of the delay

Because I've discussed this off thread and he's very much so in the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not having a pop at JJ or anything but you have gotten his version of events so obviously it is going to be skewed in his favour. In my experience, 99 times out of 100, if there is a delay in settlement then something is not stacking up as far as the underwriter is concerned.

Why would you do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Why would you do that?

I asked direct as i was never in an accident before, was at a loss of what to do and didnt want to be taken advantage off by my insurer, is there an issue? i got some brilliant advice on how to handle this and how the insurance industry works from mugmugs and tbh he was spot on. Thats enough on the subject. If you or anyone has an issue with it pm me.

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I asked direct as i was never in an accident before, was at a loss of what to do and didnt want to be taken advantage off by my insurer, is there an issue? i got some brilliant advice on how to handle this and how the insurance industry works from mugmugs and tbh he was spot on. Thats enough on the subject. If you or anyone has an issue with it pm me.

I've no issue with it whatsoever. I've often put up threads where I need advice on subjects where I value the experience of others. I just find it odd that you would want to restrict your circumstances off thread and to any one poster.

No skin off my nose, I hope you get sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've no issue with it whatsoever. I've often put up threads where I need advice on subjects where I value the experience of others. I just find it odd that you would want to restrict your circumstances off thread and to any one poster.

No skin off my nose, I hope you get sorted

Ok misunderstanding, i have my own reasons for not posting up and got legal advice also from my sol also. Its just a joke now at this stage with all the buracracy that goes on but i was warned that i might take this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

As I said above mate, I wasnt trying to have a go or insinuate anything so I hope it didnt come across that way. Its just that after nearly 5 years working in the insurance industry, things are rarely cut and dry when it comes to delays in claims. Anyway, I do hope you get sorted satisfactorily and if you want any impartial advice or anything feel free to drop me a pm.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I'm not trying to be smart, genuinely not but you lost control of your car and don't think that below limit tyres will be seen as a factor?

Brace yourself because there's a good chance that they won't honour your claim.[/quote

sorted now just waiting on the cheque. It must not have been an issue as they never mentioned It.
    lesson learned re. Tyres and driving on ice

cavan4sam wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be smart, genuinely not but you lost control of your car and don't think that below limit tyres will be seen as a factor?

Brace yourself because there's a good chance that they won't honour your claim.[/quote

sorted now just waiting on the cheque. It must not have been an issue as they never mentioned It.
    lesson learned re. Tyres and driving on ice

Alls well that ends well so! Glad you're okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

just bought a newer version of my car-how much is it to transfer the insurance from the old car onto the new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

ROY RACE wrote: »
    just bought a newer version of my car-how much is it to transfer the insurance from the old car onto the new car?

Have you not rang them to change? Ask them and they'll tell you. No one here can answer. Could be admin charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WickyD

hey folks

i wrote off my 07 1.2 Polo ast week, skidded off the road on black ice. no other vehicles involved, just me and a ditch! the assessor has been out to look etc and no issues so far. the claim is still open at the moment as i havent sent my log book back to them yet. have been looking around for a new car (second hand) but have transferred my insurance to brother in laws car (1.4 Golf) for next week as i need to get work. there was no admin fees or increase for this transfer.

i rang the insurance company today to get a quote for a 07 1.6 Audi A3 i'm considering buying. the woman on the phone said that my next monthly payment will go up by 44 euro (from 28 to 72) but as my policy is up for renwal after that she cannot give me a quote for the year. she was unable to tell me whether the 44 increase was due to engine size or not. i presume it is but could anyone with experience in this area let me know. the girl on the phone didnt really seem to know what she was talking about and couldnt answer any questions i asked. they're not open again until monday so i'll ring back then.

also, how much is my insurance likely to go up? i had 6 years no claims but i was told by the insurance company that this has gone back to 2 years because of the crash.

thanks

you cant expect people to judge by your monthly repayments! you could have 1 or 5 left. what is the actual additional premium? yes the audi will cost you more.

Sorry, I have one monthly payment left until renewal in April. My policy for the year was about 324 fully comp or 27 per month.

Is my insurance likely to rocket after writing car off? Is the quote I got for one month a good indication of what I'll be paying, about 800 for the year?

WickyD wrote: »
    Sorry, I have one monthly payment left until renewal in April. My policy for the year was about 324 fully comp or 27 per month.

Is my insurance likely to rocket after writing car off? Is the quote I got for one month a good indication of what I'll be paying, about 800 for the year?
    Your current policy doesn't reflect the loading that you'll suffer as a result of your claim.

If you'd like a guide on what you're looking at try sticking your details into some websites and see what comes back while declaring the claim.

Long and short of it is, you've shown yourself to be a liability and as such, they'll charge you accordingly.

Thought so, cheers for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

An "am I insured" question;

I have a full licence and am a named driver on my girlfriend's policy (fully comp).

My girlfriend's mother is insisting that under her policy anyone with a full licence is insured for third party, fire and theft to drive her car, so I can drive hers while the girlfriend's car is being serviced. I'm sure it's a very standard policy, there's no reason she'd have requested this as an extra.

So is this the case that I'd be insured to drive that car?

blue note wrote: »
    An "am I insured" question;

I have a full licence and am a named driver on my girlfriend's policy (fully comp).

My girlfriend's mother is insisting that under her policy anyone with a full licence is insured for third party, fire and theft to drive her car, so I can drive hers while the girlfriend's car is being serviced. I'm sure it's a very standard policy, there's no reason she'd have requested this as an extra.

So is this the case that I'd be insured to drive that car?

No. Not unless she is saying she has open drive. I.e.anyone between 25 and 70 with a full license can drive. Does her mother have fully comp cover? If she does then what she is saying is likely wrong as any driver would have comp.

peteb2 wrote: »
    No. Not unless she is saying she has open drive. I.e.anyone between 25 and 70 with a full license can drive. Does her mother have fully comp cover? If she does then what she is saying is likely wrong as any driver would have comp.

She has fully comp. She has mentioned nothing of open drive. I assume that costs a bit more and I can think of no reason why she'd pay extra for it.

"If it doesn't make sense, it's probably wrong" holds true. Now to tell the girlfriend's mother she's wrong and to refuse to drive her car. Feckin brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Possibly she is interpreting 'Driving Other Cars' incorrectly. Your GF probably has DOC on her policy meaning she has third party cover when driving her mothers car. As her mother would also have on any insured vehicle. However, named drivers don't get this benefit!!

Long and short of it, check the cert or ring the Insurance company.

Don't take the risk

marcus2000 wrote: »
    Possibly she is interpreting 'Driving Other Cars' incorrectly. Your GF probably has DOC on her policy meaning she has third party cover when driving her mothers car. As her mother would also have on any insured vehicle. However, named drivers don't get this benefit!!

That's exactly what I was thinking, however, she was insisting that wasn't the case.

Long and short of it, check the cert or ring the Insurance company.

Don't take the risk

She phoned the insurance company. They put me on until the end of the month for free (policy nearly finished). I'm told I was "kind of" insured. I'm not going to pursue what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

can any vehicle be insured under farm insurance or does it have to be a jeep/van ?

This is motor insurance so you're in the wrong forum. But generally its agri vehicles only.

There's certain Defenders considered Agri.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Don't know if this is worth starting a new thread for as it could be completely untrue but a mate of mine was just telling me that motor insurance rates are being increased considerably and that the age that rates drop is no longer 25 but 26 instead..is there any truth to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

There has been marginal increases for the past three months, for the vast majority of insurers, so rates are on the way up..... but I haven't noticed any particular Insurer hiking their rates (I work as a Market Analyst for a Broker). I wouldn't pay any heed to the age thing. A lot of the insurers have different underwriting criteria and it's that age in which rates tend to start to decrease, but I don't know of any Insurer majorly altering their rates at that age point. if anything, rates are getting more complex, and it'd be more a combination of factors that effect your premium and not just your age alone.

• Advertisement

Is there an online list of insurers anywhere (possibly already been asked a thousand times :o ).

Mine is up soon. This was my first year of driving. Last year it was €1,609 (Asgard via Chill.ie) and they sent me out a letter saying they were 'delighted' to offer me a new quote of €1,340 (€269 saving) with Zurich.

Tad disappointed. Anticipated more off, so gonna ring around but figured I'd ask here first if there's a decent list of insurers online in ireland (or in this thread)?

Advertisement