Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Yeah you can claim for the damage to your car subject to the policy excess. You'll probably find that the cost of repairing it isn't worth the cost of the claim as it will affect your no-claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

peteb2 wrote: »
    You'll probably find that the cost of repairing it isn't worth the cost of the claim as it will affect your no-claims bonus.

sorry, what exactly do you mean with that? you mean i'd be better off getting it repaired myself?

i'm on the highest rate anyway and dont have a no-claims bonus yet.

will it affect the possibility to get a no-claims bonus for me in the future?

I'm betting you probably went direct with an insurance company didn't you?!

I mean the likelihood is that if you get an estimate to repair a scratch and have it buffed out that it would cost you €400. Your policy has an excess for any accidental damage claims. Probably €300. So all the insurance company would be liable to pay is €100.

and you won't have a no-claims bonus for this year if you make a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

and you won't have a no-claims bonus for this year if you make a claim.

And your policy will be loaded next year. "he makes small claims, charge him as such"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just a quick question somebody may be able to answer.

Had a claim for fire denied last year for some BS excuse from ins comp. They also cancelled my policy for same reason.

Fast forward to now, I'm going to court with ins comp but it looks like theyre gonna try settle out of court so what I need to know is: If they do pay the claim, can I have the "cancelled policy" mark expunged from my record and not have to tell future insurers ( telling them makes it next to impossible to get insurance). I know I'll need to tell them about the claim though..

• Advertisement

Just a quick question somebody may be able to answer.

Had a claim for fire denied last year for some BS excuse from ins comp. They also cancelled my policy for same reason.

Fast forward to now, I'm going to court with ins comp but it looks like theyre gonna try settle out of court so what I need to know is: If they do pay the claim, can I have the "cancelled policy" mark expunged from my record and not have to tell future insurers ( telling them makes it next to impossible to get insurance). I know I'll need to tell them about the claim though..

This is moreso a question for your Solicitor lad but if they are settling on the steps then I'd be asking my Solicitor to ensure that a condition of settlement is that your cancellation is undone (pay the premium owed if need be)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi, Ive been getting quotes on my first ever insurance on a provisional licence for the last couple of weeks for about €2500 and above on 1 litre cars for a 29 year old but I just filled in all honest info there on NoNonsense and got quoted €890?

Am I doing something wrong? Can I proceed and buy this now seeing as its about 50% cheaper than anything else Ive seen?

Or is this just some "Invitation to Treat" style bullsh1t and they'll jack up the price when I try to seal the deal?

Could it be Ive been looking at Micras all along but got this quote on the Suzuki swift thats the last post in the Bangernomics thread?

Clueless about this stuff any help appreciated thanks.

Nononsense give you a very bare policy of Insurance and you have to add on the bits and bobs. It's fully legit though and given that all the info is honest and correct then there's no issue getting it

Brilliant stuff thanks, saving between €1500-2000 here compared to other places, cant believe it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi, Ive been getting quotes on my first ever insurance on a provisional licence for the last couple of weeks for about €2500 and above on 1 litre cars for a 29 year old but I just filled in all honest info there on NoNonsense and got quoted €890?
    sounds fishy, is that much normal?

i have never driven a car in a right-hand-drive country (10 year experience with driving lefthanded cars), bought a 1 litre car, had no no-claim papers from my homecountry (because unnames driver on fathers insurance), was quoted at around 900 from axa on a comprehensive insurance.

• Advertisement

Well Axa quoted me 2400 on their instant quote thing on their site then 15 minutes later I get a call and its a guy implying he's doing me a favour by dropping it to 1500 so probably all the quotes Ive wasted all day gathering are bullsh1t. I dont have a clue what Im doing to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Perhaps ask a friend, who has dealt with motor insurance quotes before, to have a look over your shoulder as you fill out the online form. They might spot something you're missing. Other than that, it sounds good to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just ring the nononsense call centre, tell them you were doing a quote online but that you just want to make sure you are doing everything right as it's your first insurance.

You will get everything sorted correctly and you have the option to try and haggle to get the price down lower.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hardybuck7

Hi!,

Im having problems getting quotes on car insurance, Im 21 and just passed my full licence test today and I'm trying to insure a 92, 1 litre starlet...but no one wants to give me a quote apart from AXA but they quoted me €2500 which i think is a bit too steep for a one litre car and a full licence.

So i was wondering does anyone have an idea what I can do about this? Literally dont know what to do as ive bought the car and it will take me yonks to get a different one!

Thanks

Is it a jap import? And the answer is no one really if you have called everyone.

hardybuck7 wrote: »
    Hi!,

Im having problems getting quotes on car insurance, Im 21 and just passed my full licence test today and I'm trying to insure a 92, 1 litre starlet...but no one wants to give me a quote apart from AXA but they quoted me €2500 which i think is a bit too steep for a one litre car and a full licence.

So i was wondering does anyone have an idea what I can do about this? Literally dont know what to do as ive bought the car and it will take me yonks to get a different one!

Thanks

Try a broker.

Aaran Insurance in Harolds X are pretty good.

Quick question, Is a printout of an online quote a valid quote or can they decide afterwards that they dont want to run with that quote.

Reason I ask is that a mate of mine is going for mediation with his insurance company over a rejected claim. Company claims they would not have covered his occupation nor would they even quote for same, However he has been able to get an online quotation for that particular occupation online and even get as far as to actually pay for it. He's told me that after he got to the payment screen, he stopped and was contacted by the same company a few hours later to see if they can give him a discount.

His worry is that he will go into this meeting at the ombudsmans office and they'll turn around and tell him his online quote isn't a valid quote.

If the online quote isnt 100% valid, whats the best route to get an actual written version of the same quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AP_MAN

hi guys

does any one heard of www.clements.com? is it legitimate to get car insurance from these guys?

AP_MAN wrote: »
    hi guys

does any one heard of www.clements.com? is it legitimate to get car insurance from these guys?

I don't think they would quote you here. They have a UK office but they arent passported to write business in Ireland. And it looks like they are only brokers in the UK so wouldnt be able to offer you anything further than you could get here.

Quick question, Is a printout of an online quote a valid quote or can they decide afterwards that they dont want to run with that quote.

Reason I ask is that a mate of mine is going for mediation with his insurance company over a rejected claim. Company claims they would not have covered his occupation nor would they even quote for same, However he has been able to get an online quotation for that particular occupation online and even get as far as to actually pay for it. He's told me that after he got to the payment screen, he stopped and was contacted by the same company a few hours later to see if they can give him a discount.

His worry is that he will go into this meeting at the ombudsmans office and they'll turn around and tell him his online quote isn't a valid quote.

If the online quote isnt 100% valid, whats the best route to get an actual written version of the same quote?

It wouldn't be. His quote now doesnt prove they would have quoted for him at the time. He would have to request a copy of the original quotation from the insurance company.

• Advertisement

Regardless of whether they now quote online for this occupation or not, he must have told his insurers something other than his correct occupation for it to even be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I had four points, which incurred no loading on my insurance. I will have 6 (only 6, touch wood) come my next renewal. Does 6 points incur a loading or make getting insurance difficult? (I'm 24, 7 years full license and full NCB, drive a 230bhp car).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I had four points, which incurred no loading on my insurance. I will have 6 (only 6, touch wood) come my next renewal. Does 6 points incur a loading or make getting insurance difficult? (I'm 24, 7 years full license and full NCB, drive a 230bhp car).

It probably will.

Most insurers allow you up to 5 without it having a negative effect but after that the premium increases. Aviva load for any penalty points.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Regardless of whether they now quote online for this occupation or not, he must have told his insurers something other than his correct occupation for it to even be an issue

Not exactly, he done 2 days casual work at something he never done before and had an accident on the way there the second day. Because it was casual and little hope of him doing more of it, he didnt deem it necessary to inform them.

now you see that is a different kettle of fish completely!! The likelihood here is that whilst they may have quoted for his occupation, most online insurers only give social domestic and pleasure cover. i.e. no business use. I'm guessing that his two days casual work involved tools in his car??

now you see that is a different kettle of fish completely!! The likelihood here is that whilst they may have quoted for his occupation, most online insurers only give social domestic and pleasure cover. i.e. no business use. I'm guessing that his two days casual work involved tools in his car??

No. No tools, he drove to the job and drive home.

Similar thing happened to me a few months ago, bit I didnt need to go as far as mediation, they settled with my solicitor before it got that far. His insurance company are singing to a different tune though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Longines

In my experience i would AVOID NONONSENSE AT ALL COSTS

I have had 25 years+ with different insurers and they are by the worst to deal with in my experience

I have never even had a claim to this date - AVOID AT ALL COSTS is my advice

AXA are generally recognised as the best within the business at the moment.

With respects, I speak to my Insurer once a year.

Presuming you're not changing vehicles all the time, you'd be the same and with no claims in 25 years, why would you avoid them ?

Longines wrote: »
    AXA are generally recognised as the best within the business at the moment.

Who elected you spokesman????

You haven't backed up the reasons why No Nonsense should be avoided or why you would advocate on behalf of AXA

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 NinjaMasterPro

How do I insure a car that I buy from a garage? Since you can only insure a car that is registered to you, and I assume it takes a week or so to get the reg cert sorted, do I just leave it sitting in the garage until the paperwork is done?

Advertisement