Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

How do I insure a car that I buy from a garage? Since you can only insure a car that is registered to you, and I assume it takes a week or so to get the reg cert sorted, do I just leave it sitting in the garage until the paperwork is done?

You can insure it straight away, since you have a financial interest in it. Make sure the paperwork has at least been sent away to register it in your name

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 NinjaMasterPro

Thanks. It's possible that I won't be able to insure it until 26th May (I had an accident 26th May 2009 and majority of insurance quotes assume that there hasn't been an accident in the last 5 years - pain in the hole).

I really want to buy this car and after May 26th the insurance will be available to me.

So how would I move it from the garage if I can't insure it for another month?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

I am "insure" with Setanta through a broker. The broker is regulated by the Central Bank. Does it give me any extra protection to insure through a broker rather then online as I have to get new insurance. I am just wondering is my contract with my broker or with Setanta. Cant get through to my broker today.

puss wrote: »
    I am "insure" with Setanta through a broker. The broker is regulated by the Central Bank. Does it give me any extra protection to insure through a broker rather then online as I have to get new insurance. I am just wondering is my contract with my broker or with Setanta. Cant get through to my broker today.

Your contract is with your insurer. The extra protection The Regulator gives you when using a broker relates to malpractice in their dealings with you and protection of your premiums before they are passed on to your insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

oldyouth wrote: »
    Your contract is with your insurer. The extra protection The Regulator gives you when using a broker relates to malpractice in their dealings with you and protection of your premiums before they are passed on to your insurer

Thank you for your reply. I just wonder why any broker would recommend an insurance company that isn't covered by Irish law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Thanks. It's possible that I won't be able to insure it until 26th May (I had an accident 26th May 2009 and majority of insurance quotes assume that there hasn't been an accident in the last 5 years - pain in the hole).

I really want to buy this car and after May 26th the insurance will be available to me.

So how would I move it from the garage if I can't insure it for another month?

On the back of a low loader, or you could get someone who has third party extension on their policy to drive it home for you (provided it meets the criteria of their policy, usually that the car is NCTd and possibly taxed).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

After the setanta folded - looking at whats best way to get a quote, online or over the phone? I tried two axa (online) and liberty (phone) and the liberty phone quote was better

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd get myself a few Brokers working for me and in the mean time go and online quote all the big names

FBD, AXA, Allianz, Liberty, Aviva etc.

For the first time ever, I got a savage quote from FBD this year.

Zurich were pretty good too !

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'd get myself a few Brokers working for me and in the mean time go and online quote all the big names

FBD, AXA, Allianz, Liberty, Aviva etc.

For the first time ever, I got a savage quote from FBD this year.

Zurich were pretty good too !

Waiting on a quote or alternative quote from brokers but they are up the walls, must have had a lot of customers on Setanta.

Aviva wouldnt issue a quote online for some reason. Address details incorrect even though they found them. And every insurance company has wrong car spec

Got a brilliant quote from my broker 475 with Allianz minus the 95 I paid to transfer cover of my old to my new car which the broker hadnt paid to Setanta yet. Overall I am very happy now.

Brokers I dealt with Goggins Insurance brokers http://www.gib.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I always plug these guys and do so mainly because they've always seen me right, not that I work for them

Aaran Insurance in Harolds X

• Registered Users Posts: 4 John Montana

Hi all, my partner has a Mazda 323 and insured with AXA. Third party fire and theft, she has had a full licence for 3 years but this is her first year driving. Policy open since October last year at 2200euros for a year, assuming the new insurance gender equality laws had an effect, this was not a bad quote. In December 2013 she had an at-fault accident. Opened the door while there was a taxi passing and it took of the door and wing. The taxi drive took out a claim against her insurance and everything was sorted and she admitted liability. I am 21 years old and have a provisional licence and would like to be the named driver on her policy, I realize I cannot do this until it is time for renewal.

Questions I'd like to ask.

How does the crash affect her if she wanted to change company ? Can she still change insurance or does she have to wait for 5 years ?

If she decides to stay with axa, how would it be adding me to her policy after the inevitable rise in premium after renewing ?

I went to chill and got a quote for the two of us at 4400e (having disclosed the claim) ? And AXA were quoting 5,800 for the two of us. Should she change insurance now or wait till October ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Evening gentlemen,

I'm a 22 year old who recently passed his driving test and have a few questions. Bearing in mind I need to get a car on the road ASAP because the commute to work is killing me.

-Is there any drawbacks to me giving my parents the money and having one of them buy the car and insure me a second driver? It would be considerably cheaper than going solo but it almost seems too good to be true. I realize I should be building up credit with the insurance company but money is worth a lot more to me now than it will be a few years down the line so it seems almost perfect.

-Slightly off topic; My dad insists that I buy off a dealer whereas I want to go through the donedeal/adverts route for the sake of saving money. I am not the most motor savvy but I know my way around a car. He says that with the dealer you pay premium price but at least you are guaranteed a car that will work and issues will be dealt with quickly. Any opinions on this?

Thanks.

Hi all, my partner has a Mazda 323 and insured with AXA. Third party fire and theft, she has had a full licence for 3 years but this is her first year driving. Policy open since October last year at 2200euros for a year, assuming the new insurance gender equality laws had an effect, this was not a bad quote. In December 2013 she had an at-fault accident. Opened the door while there was a taxi passing and it took of the door and wing. The taxi drive took out a claim against her insurance and everything was sorted and she admitted liability. I am 21 years old and have a provisional licence and would like to be the named driver on her policy, I realize I cannot do this until it is time for renewal.

Questions I'd like to ask.

How does the crash affect her if she wanted to change company ? Can she still change insurance or does she have to wait for 5 years ?

If she decides to stay with axa, how would it be adding me to her policy after the inevitable rise in premium after renewing ?

I went to chill and got a quote for the two of us at 4400e (having disclosed the claim) ? And AXA were quoting 5,800 for the two of us. Should she change insurance now or wait till October ?

Thanks

Firstly, you can be added as a driver at any time during the year as long as your profile (age, licence, occupation etc) are acceptable to your partners insurance. They are not obliged, however, to accept you.

The only way to get a price is for your partner to ring them.

As for moving company, the current insurer probably has a clause stating that there is no return of premium if you leave mid-term, if a claim has been incurred.

At next renewal, you are free to move wherever you please, providing you can get a reasonable quote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

-Is there any drawbacks to me giving my parents the money and having one of them buy the car and insure me a second driver? It would be considerably cheaper than going solo but it almost seems too good to be true. I realize I should be building up credit with the insurance company but money is worth a lot more to me now than it will be a few years down the line so it seems almost perfect.

If the company find out you're the main driver they can void your policy and chase you for the payouts of 3rd party claims or refuse to payout for your claims. Its called fronting and if you get caught you could find getting insurance in the future quite a difficult task

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 Madmix_

Hey guys, my car broke down today and since I was 100km away from home, I had to call Axa Assistance. My Insurance covers free assistance but I was wondering if I lose no claims discount because of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 John Montana

Thanks a million oldyouth ! Very helpful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I am considering saving money by not using car and subsequently not insuring it faor 2 or 3 years. I am wondering if/when I start insuring and driving again how this might affect my No claims bonus.
    When I returned to Ireland from working in Thailnd may years ago I had to pay full premium as I had no NCB. I wonder would the same apply if I stopped driving/insuring for a few years.
    Hope I have made myself clear :)

Most insurers will not recognise your Bonus after your policy has expired for 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hi iIhave about 6 years NCB in Ireland up to September 2011. I then migrated to Australia and did not get a car until May 2013. (so have less than 2 year gap in my history)
    I can find information online in the UK that says insurers will recognise no-claims certificates from abroad but cannot find any information in relation to Ireland.

Anyone know if Irish insurers will recognise my policy from Australia to apply a NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Did you have a policy in Oz? I thought the State provided third party insurance. Anyway if the gap is less than two years, insurers will accept your no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Hi iIhave about 6 years NCB in Ireland up to September 2011. I then migrated to Australia and did not get a car until May 2013. (so have less than 2 year gap in my history)
    I can find information online in the UK that says insurers will recognise no-claims certificates from abroad but cannot find any information in relation to Ireland.

Anyone know if Irish insurers will recognise my policy from Australia to apply a NCB.

Very interested to see this too!
    I had 3 years NCB on my own policy to Jan '06-'09, 2 years NCB on company policy Feb '08 - Aug '10 and I've got 3 years NCB in Oz from Dec'10-Jun'14 so would be interested to see if I could get some of it honoured in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Just a quick question regarding Windscreen cover, a stone cracked mine the other day so it will need to be replaced.
    I have full cover but was just reading the small print and as i pay by DD it says that full payment will be due in the event of a claim. At first i thought this wouldn't be for glass cover but i'm not too sure now, I don't get paid untill the end of the month so i don't really want to claim now as i won't have the cash to pay the balance of what's owed if they ask, any suggestions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Once you use your insurers preferred repairer then you are covered for every cent and will not have to pay anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Once you use your insurers preferred repairer then you are covered for every cent and will not have to pay anything at all.

I know that but i pay my insurance by direct debit instalments and this in in the policy document

In the event of a claim in the current period
    of insurance, the full annual premium
    becomes due. We reserve the right to
    deduct any outstanding premium from
    any claim payment we may make to You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Windscreen/glass claims aren't treated the same way as an accident is.

Check with your insurer in the morning but I guarantee that it wont effect your policy in any way, shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I know that but i pay my insurance by direct debit instalments and this in in the policy document

In the event of a claim in the current period
    of insurance, the full annual premium
    becomes due. We reserve the right to
    deduct any outstanding premium from
    any claim payment we may make to You.

Only your insurer can clarify this for you. It would be unusual for a windscreen repair to be treated as a normal claim, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

peteb2 wrote: »
    Did you have a policy in Oz? I thought the State provided third party insurance. Anyway if the gap is less than two years, insurers will accept your no claims bonus.
    commited wrote: »
    Very interested to see this too!
    I had 3 years NCB on my own policy to Jan '06-'09, 2 years NCB on company policy Feb '08 - Aug '10 and I've got 3 years NCB in Oz from Dec'10-Jun'14 so would be interested to see if I could get some of it honoured in Ireland.

I found this answert o this myslef.

Firstly PeteB, No included in your registration is cover for Third Party Personal claims, i.e if i crash into a BMV and the driver hurts their finger, my car registration will cover medical costs of the other drivers finger. I am liable for the costs of the car (in Victoria i know this is correct, not sure of other state).

And commited i found out Yes, Irish insurers will honour Australia NCBs, but i have to still find out if it can be added to previous Irish NCB to be continuous.

• Advertisement

Hasmunch wrote: »
    And commited i found out Yes, Irish insurers will honour Australia NCBs, but i have to still find out if it can be added to previous Irish NCB to be continuous.

If an insurer is prepared to accept an Aussie NCB and you can provide a consecutive paper trail prior to that from an Irish insurer, I don't think you will have any problems

Advertisement