Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bought a car 10 days ago but havent got the vlc or logbook yet (seller dragging their heels), booked in for the nct on wed and will not have the paperwork by then. afaik they wont entertain me as ive no cert or logbook, correct? Should I just bite the bullet and reschedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

retalivity wrote: »
    Bought a car 10 days ago but havent got the vlc or logbook yet (seller dragging their heels), booked in for the nct on wed and will not have the paperwork by then. afaik they wont entertain me as ive no cert or logbook, correct? Should I just bite the bullet and reschedule?

AFAIK they will do the test, but might not release the NCT cert until you present the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Fwiw went for the test, only got asked for my license. needs to get retested anyway, at which point I should have the logbook so shouldnt be an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My cover expires at the end of this month, I wouldn't mind sorting it all out now though...do I have to wait until they issue a renewal price or can I ring my provider now & ask them?

Myrddin wrote: »
    My cover expires at the end of this month, I wouldn't mind sorting it all out now though...do I have to wait until they issue a renewal price or can I ring my provider now & ask them?

You can ring and ask but they may not have a renewal price ready for you yet. I find that they will have a price for you 3-4 weeks before the policy expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Myrddin wrote: »

It is generally out by now. You can certainly call them and ask if your renwal is out yet and get the price over the phone then start calling about.

You can even call about now and get forewarned about who's offering the best price for when your renewal does land. No reason not to if you've got the time :)

Yeah might do that, cheers folks. I waited until the renewal landed last year, which was a bit too late as I ended up changing providers. I done a few web quotes there, seems the prices have gone UP despite another years ncb on my part. I'm currently with FBD, has anyone any recommendations (I'm in Dublin) :o

Phone them all and employ a few brokers to do it for you too is generally your best bet.

Failing that, if your renewal is semi decent, just call and throw a reasonably lower quote at them and see if they'll match it.

Mine was up crazy money this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

hi folks
    i dont want to start new thread so I post here- my wife bought a nissan march jap import registered here in 2007 and now she wants to insure it but it seems that none of insurer will accept jap import these days which is a bit shocking for us.what we can do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

faral wrote: »
    hi folks
    i dont want to start new thread so I post here- my wife bought a nissan march jap import registered here in 2007 and now she wants to insure it but it seems that none of insurer will accept jap import these days which is a bit shocking for us.what we can do now?

If your wife currently has insurance, that company are obliged to quote/cover her. If this is her 1st insurance then get a good broker on the job, but 1st policy and Jap import are a bad mix to get a decent quote

• Advertisement

I presume she's not trying to cover it fully COMP, is she ?

That's her first insurance so we are prepared to pay a price but we don't see any company accepting jap cars

MugMugs wrote: »
    I presume she's not trying to cover it fully COMP, is she ?

She wants only third party fire and teft

hi folks

Keep ringing around; someone will insure it. Try some brokers as you might have more luck. Also try Liberty as they seemed to be decent enough (last year anyway) for insuring imports.

She wants only third party fire and teft

Employ yourself a broker. Jap imports are problematic to insure mainly because of parts and the restrictions on getting them. Tpft shouldn't be a huge issue but try and float the idea of third party only if you can find a willing insurer.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Phone them all and employ a few brokers to do it for you too is generally your best bet.

Failing that, if your renewal is semi decent, just call and throw a reasonably lower quote at them and see if they'll match it.

Mine was up crazy money this year :(

FBD the cheapest again for me this year, so just renewed with them. AA actually offered a decent throw at me, but Aviva & Allianz were off the wall. Still, my insurance this year was €30 dearer than last year, despite another years NCB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

That's her first insurance so we are prepared to pay a price but we don't see any company accepting jap cars

What type of car is it?

If its a high performance/high risk car (Evo for example) then thats fair enough but alot of the Jap imports are just common or garden cars, the same as we have here, its just that they different names or are flagged as imports.

What type of car is it?

If its a high performance/high risk car (Evo for example) then thats fair enough but alot of the Jap imports are just common or garden cars, the same as we have here, its just that they different names or are flagged as imports.

Its a Nissan March.

The only issue that I can see is that JDM cars dont tend to be too hot on security. Other than that I dont think there should be any issues with an import Micra, should there?

djimi wrote: »
    Its a Nissan March.

The only issue that I can see is that JDM cars dont tend to be too hot on security. Other than that I dont think there should be any issues with an import Micra, should there?

Parts is another but get TPO and you negate that risk.

Are parts hard to come by for a March? I have never had an issue getting parts for my Integra, and thats a car that has no Irish equivalent.

• Advertisement

Not really but insurance companies are wallys.

My Avensis is a UK import. She was built in the same factory as an "irish" one yet she's flagged as an "import"

Go figure.

well so far we rang around few companies and positive reply was from simplyinsure and liberty. premium is not cheap but we ve expected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 42gram

Hi would anyone have any suggestions of cheap car insurance companies in Ireland that will accept a foreign no claims bonus. I have a 4 year Dutch no claims bonus and would like to use it to insure my car in Ireland.

I paid online a one year insurance disc on 123.ie but when I sent them proof of the no claims they would not accept it because it was from the netherlands and they would only accept a no claims from either Ireland or England that was valid in the last two years!!! They refunded the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

How old is the bonus?

Most insurers will accept a no claims bonus from another EU member state once it is in English and not more than 2 years old.

Just ring them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

My insurance is due for renewal week after next. Paid €280 last year TPFT with 123.ie (RSA) for '01 Mercedes E200 Kompressor. 6 years Irish NCB and full UK license for 15+ years. Renewal from 123.ie came in at €517!!! Shopped around and best deal so far is from the AA @ €340.

In previous years they were always way more expensive than most other quotes I got (I shop around every year and so far changed insurer every year).

Friend of mine also got her best quote from AA. Are they on some kind of sales drive - does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

42gram wrote: »
    Hi would anyone have any suggestions of cheap car insurance companies in Ireland that will accept a foreign no claims bonus. I have a 4 year Dutch no claims bonus and would like to use it to insure my car in Ireland.

I paid online a one year insurance disc on 123.ie but when I sent them proof of the no claims they would not accept it because it was from the netherlands and they would only accept a no claims from either Ireland or England that was valid in the last two years!!! They refunded the money.

I have driven for over 32 years on a fleet insurance (company car). I have now finished working for them and am trying to get my own insurance. The company only gave me a letter stating that I drove for 32 years on the company policy but won't say that I was accident free. They say its company policy to confirm that I drove a company car and noting else. I am now finding it hard to get a quote because I don't have a no claim bonus.

Most employers are happy to state that you were accident free, very strange. You will appreciate that any prospective insurer will need to see some evidence of your driving history on which to base a quote.

You could approach your employers insurer for a quote, show them your letter and ask them to check your record under policy XYZ. Of course, this will only be of any real benefit if your company has stayed with he same insurer for a few years.

Its not a data protection issue as you are not asking them for any confidential information belonging to your employer, just asking them to have a look at their records and offer you a quote. They may oblige

Other than that, I don't have any answer

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

That won't happen. They are insured using an UK broker and AXA are the underwriters. I phoned them yesterday and they said they understood the predicament but noting they could do as it was corporate policy. They also don't do references either just state when you started and what your position was when you finished also corporate policy. This company would probably be one of the best known companies in Ireland. By the way I phoned AXA and they have no info as it done trough a broker .

Unfortunately, I can only think of 2 options then. Try every online insurer for a quote as a novice driver, or get a good broker on the job and get them to show your letter to every insurer representative that they deal with, to try and squeeze an intro bonus out of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

blowin3 wrote: »
    I have driven for over 32 years on a fleet insurance (company car). I have now finished working for them and am trying to get my own insurance. The company only gave me a letter stating that I drove for 32 years on the company policy but won't say that I was accident free. They say its company policy to confirm that I drove a company car and noting else. I am now finding it hard to get a quote because I don't have a no claim bonus.

Submit a data protection request to your old employer for a copy of all driving records and accident records. It will cost you €6.35, and they are obliged to respond. The negative response will be your proof of clean record.

Advertisement