Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Asmooh wrote: »
    Based on the price of the cat I own in the Netherlands at the moment, the car I want back and get in Ireland would be aroun 2000 a month for insurance

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Danger781 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Try to insure a Porsche Boxster 2.7 or 3.2 with no ncb, no experience in driving in Ireland or uk. And living here less than a yeAr

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

I moved here from Britain 10 years ago, there was no problem transfering my NCB. I used Quinn untill they folded. I think that the lot of them are rigging prices. If they are daft enought to pay extortionate damages then that should not reflect on careful drivers. It is worth paying for full NCB protection, step back can be a bit of a con. NEVER ADMIT LIABILITY. ALWAYS GET POLICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Saw AA mentioned around a bit there so just ran a quote out of interest.

Paying €976 with Allianz as a provisional driver, Opel Astra 00 1.4L, four years no claims or something like that. 27 yr old male

AA quoted €1276.

Be interesting when it comes around to renewal time. I normally just go to Chill and have them run the numbers and get the best quote. Be pretty raging if I have to break the €1000 mark.

My first policy I paid around the €720 mark :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Asmooh wrote: »
    I have no experience with driving in Ireland , so no Ncb because it doesn't count when drove for almost 10 years in another country. Only online because of work I don't have time to call.

Based on the price of the cat I own in the Netherlands at the moment, the car I want back and get in Ireland would be aroun 2000 a month for insurance

If it's an eu country you have been driving in a lot of companies will allow a discount - just need an original bonus letter in native language and a seperate sheet with a certified translation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

TheDoc wrote:
    Paying €976 with Allianz as a provisional driver, Opel Astra 00 1.4L, four years no claims or something like that. 27 yr old male

Mine was 495 with allianz last year. Got my renewal this week and has jumped to 840

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

How the companies check that a bonus letter from other country is original?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

How the companies check that a bonus letter from other country is original?

Phone, email.

There was a poster recently who had his NCB reverted because they didn't receive email back from the insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Trouble is most EU countries dont have policies like NCB points that you need to collect.They are usually interested whats you car worth-not engine size or year,emissions,imports etc,and how long one had license.

Furthermore in many countries its enough to have car insured and anyone can drive it-since your insuring actual car,then there are separate policies to take out similar to life insurance here and insuring your passengers/or someone who might get involved in accident separately.Id imagine this varies a lot from country to country,but main point is there a lot of factors in place to prevent fraudulent claims,and payouts are capped.

I think its car insurance+your own life insurance-so if you get into accident or injured in any way you claim it from there,and payout results in how much did you insure your own life in such matter-thus that results in proper medical examination to determine what one should be payed out.
    Rest is left for police do decide on fault,reasons behind accident and punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

scamalert wrote: »
    thats why in this country insurance companies are F88ked up really.

say you have a small accident-and agree on damage done and to pay for it,no need to call guards etc.Then person finds out he/she can make money out of it,visit to solicitor-who will gladly take such cases,then visit to gp to complain about sore neck-which with enough moaning will be put down as back/neck injury and your totally Fcked.

Happened to two people i know and myself.
    First instance person by accident started rolling before lights changed and bumped another car like 1-3mph speed,anyway person admitted fault other person was fine-scratch on a bumper week later w@anker wearing neck brace support and failing for personal injuries.

Other story person was reversing and hit a bumper of another car-same agreed to cover scratch which in turn person decides he needs new bumper wing and other stuff from dealership-thus couple grand out of pocket.

My own story had an accident my fault,person crashed into me,all paperwork was right guards on spot.had a chat for couple days afterwards since accident wrote off both cars,anyway insurance covered other party in full in few days time,then person suddenly doesn't want to hear from me and get handed papers with injury claim,thus getting open claim and sitting on it for 3 years no sight of settling it,so moral of story most people are ***** since system in place is rigged so much that any complaint of insomnia or fear alone will get settlements of thousands.
    You do know that every insurer has claims assessors who assess claims before they pay out?

Insurers don't hand over money lightly, they're no fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Thought I'd share my quotes for anyone interested.
    30 year old male / 09 Ford Mondeo 1.8l diesel / 4 years NCB / 2 point in Aug 14 / fully comp

From cheapest to most expensive. Didn't get a quote from all.

Liberty: €572.18 / full no claims protection
    Chill: ~€700 (can't remember exactly and they didn't email me) / step back no claims
    AA: €738.77 / step back no claims protection
    AXA: €881.92 / step back no claims protection
    123 original: €920.33 / step back no claims protection
    123 online: €1047.99 / full no claims protection

Got a few others but non even came close to Liberty. About to bite the hand off them. Any reason not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

d31b0y wrote: »
    Thought I'd share my quotes for anyone interested.
    30 year old male / 09 Ford Mondeo 1.8l diesel / 4 years NCB / 2 point in Aug 14 / fully comp

From cheapest to most expensive. Didn't get a quote from all.

Liberty: €572.18 / full no claims protection
    Chill: ~€700 (can't remember exactly and they didn't email me) / step back no claims
    AA: €738.77 / step back no claims protection
    AXA: €881.92 / step back no claims protection
    123 original: €920.33 / step back no claims protection
    123 online: €1047.99 / full no claims protection

Got a few others but non even came close to Liberty. About to bite the hand off them. Any reason not to?

Clarify how much penalty point discount is included in the rate.. Incase u collect another point(s) you'll have to fork out that money back to them. Also protect bonus with them is 1. Used for all claims thus if Fire&theft case, thus no protection in the case of crash later in year. Auto claim loading at renewal wither protect bonus in place....seen 16% being applied at buddy's renewal when €715 theft claim paid out..

Too good a deal, normally has small print that becomes LARGE print if something goes wrong... Do research . All the best otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Clarify how much penalty point discount is included in the rate.. Incase u collect another point(s) you'll have to fork out that money back to them. Also protect bonus with them is 1. Used for all claims thus if Fire&theft case, thus no protection in the case of crash later in year. Auto claim loading at renewal wither protect bonus in place....seen 16% being applied at buddy's renewal when €715 theft claim paid out..

Too good a deal, normally has small print that becomes LARGE print if something goes wrong... Do research . All the best otherwise

Appreciate the response. Not too sure what you mean on some of the points though. I'll be sure to check it all out with them before committing though!

Penalty point discount? Would this not apply to all insurance companies? I never heard of this before. They are giving me a discount for not having lots of penalty points which they will take away if I get points?

Protect bonus with them is 1. Not sure what that means... Do you mean you only get 1 claim before affecting NCB? I thought that was the same everywhere?

Auto claim loading at renewal. Again - surely this is everywhere... If I don't like the quote the give me at renewal, I'll just start the process again.
    In general, I'm interested with how these charges would differ with another insurance company. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

d31b0y wrote: »
    Appreciate the response. Not too sure what you mean on some of the points though. I'll be sure to check it all out with them before committing though!

Penalty point discount? Would this not apply to all insurance companies? I never heard of this before. They are giving me a discount for not having lots of penalty points which they will take away if I get points?

Protect bonus with them is 1. Not sure what that means... Do you mean you only get 1 claim before affecting NCB? I thought that was the same everywhere?

Auto claim loading at renewal. Again - surely this is everywhere... If I don't like the quote the give me at renewal, I'll just start the process again.
    In general, I'm interested with how these charges would differ with another insurance company. Thanks! :)

Getting insurance quotes here is a lucky ,mostly unlucky dip

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

You can have step back no claims discount or full no claims discount as an added extra. It may be a steady loss if you don't need it. But when you do it realy pays. Not forgeting compulsory excess amount, which if you are not at fault you can claim from other party, this is where legal aid cover helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I went today to get quotation for my almera 03 1.5, 2 windscreen "claims" within 5 years,33 old, getting irish driver licence + named driver same situation,2 years driving in IE. Axa send me quotation for 1250 as renewal but first broker quoted me €850 and another 820 at the end i went to axa and said that i am not happy from my renewal quotation and the did 780 with windscreen protection. The initial quotation was with eu driver licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ggmaxwell

Is it possible to get private insurance on a car van , im currently 18 and i cannot get insured on a commercial vehicle until im 21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ggmaxwell wrote: »
    Is it possible to get private insurance on a car van , im currently 18 and i cannot get insured on a commercial vehicle until im 21

No, a car van is a commercial vehicle in the eyes of every insurer I know of.

No, a car van is a commercial vehicle in the eyes of every insurer I know of.

Even if it is taxed privately?

sean1141 wrote: »
    Even if it is taxed privately?

Tax and insurance are two different things, doesnt matter if its private tax, it is for all intents and purposes a commercial vehicle, they arent called car vans for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Tax and insurance are two different things, doesnt matter if its private tax, it is for all intents and purposes a commercial vehicle, they arent called car vans for nothing.

Is it not entirely feasible that a person might want to use a van, or even a HGV, for private/leisure purposes?

jimgoose wrote: »
    Is it not entirely feasible that a person might want to use a van, or even a HGV, for private/leisure purposes?

Why then not buy a car?

Insurers are wise to the fact that pretty much the only reason people want to insure a commercial vehicle as a private motor is to try and get cheaper tax.

Why then not buy a car?

Maybe there is not enough room in a car? Maybe a van would be better for dogs/surf boards/ dirt bikes etc etc

sean1141 wrote: »
    Maybe there is not enough room in a car? Maybe a van would be better for dogs/surf boards/ dirt bikes etc etc

They should buy a van so!

:pac:

Why then not buy a car?

Insurers are wise to the fact that pretty much the only reason people want to insure a commercial vehicle as a private motor is to try and get cheaper tax.

I'm talking about, for example, a 500 horsepower 40-foot artic with a reefer trailer converted into half-motorhome and half-mobile garage that until recently cost about €5,500 to tax. I'm not interested in tax, I'm talking about insurance. Ultan Shirt telling me to get a 1.6l Jetta instead is not particularly useful, in case it isn't clear. :D

I'm talking about, for example, a 500 horsepower 40-foot artic with a reefer trailer converted into half-motorhome and half-mobile garage that until recently cost about €5,500 to tax. I'm not interested in tax, I'm talking about insurance. Ultan Shirt telling me to get a 1.6l Jetta instead is not particularly useful, in case it isn't clear. :D

Is it a reasonable expectation that someone would be using a HGV for personal/leisure purposes though?

Dropping the kids to school, going to mass, doing the shopping, all in a 10 tonne rigid?

Its not, and insurance would work on reasonable assumptions.

Is it a reasonable expectation that someone would be using a HGV for personal/leisure purposes though?

Dropping the kids to school, going to mass, doing the shopping, all in a 10 tonne rigid?

Its not, and insurance would work on reasonable assumptions.

Is it reasonable? I think it's perfectly reasonable. I'm not talking about dropping the kids to school in a HGV, although I often was, as a Gosling! :D I also think it's perfectly reasonable that insurance should drop the assumptions and understand what people are actually doing. That's another thing that gets on my nerves about this little cock-a-mamie backwater - the assumption, on the part of everyone from insurance companies to the government, that everyone is up to some sort of scam.

Is it reasonable? I think it's perfectly reasonable. I'm not talking about dropping the kids to school in a HGV, although I often was, as a Gosling! :D I also think it's perfectly reasonable that insurance should drop the assumptions and understand what people are actually doing. That's another thing that gets on my nerves about this little cock-a-mamie backwater - the assumption, on the part of everyone from insurance companies to the government, that everyone is up to some sort of scam.

Unfortunately, experience dictates that if something looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck.

Unfortunately, experience dictates that if something looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck.

So what sort of duck is it when a motorhome and a garage for two motorcycles and full tools won't fit in an Opel Corsa?

• Advertisement

So what sort of duck is it when a motorhome and a garage for two motorcycles and full tools won't fit in an Opel Corsa?

How many people like that do you know?

You are being hyperbolic to try and make a point.

There is also specific, specialized insurance companies for motor homes in the market.

Advertisement