Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

The right hand drive does deserve some small consideration, but it's not that significant when we consider the amount of people who hire cars and drive them regularly, outside of the UK & Ireland. Also, let us not forget that insurance companeis who underwrite insurance outside of Ireland and the UK often conveniently refer to insurance losses outside of those two jurisdictions, when trying to justify their quotes for higher insurance premiums.
    +1
    I don't think that's such a big deal (RHD/LHD), convenient excuse. Once you're driving a few weeks you'll have pretty comprehensively flipped the mental models in your head. I think the big determinants for whether or not a driver is likely to have accidents are things like speeding, aggression, alcohol/drug use, overall capability (e.g. to read road, traffic, etc.,) and general behavioural issues behind the wheel (with right behaviour most motorists can be safe: drive well within the limit of the conditions, vehicle, and driver).

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manatoo

Eye watering quotes on here. Is anyone checking out quote devil on here? After about 5 years with fbd for between 250-300 I moved when they wouldn't come below 400 on my final renewal. First year with quote devil I paid 300 third party with step back ncb protection, breakdown and windscreen cover. Second year I upgraded to fully comp and paid 375. 32 year old male with 5year ncb driving an 06 saab 9-5 1.9Tdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Not sure if it's okay to ask here or not but:
    Let's assume you hit someones car, lets assume you settled it with them for a sum of money and you transfered it to them and everyone agreed that's it - it's over, no questions asked.
    2 Weeks later they call you and say they will claim from your insurance for damages, all receipts are present.

Is there some sort of law against this?

Oh and they wont give money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

arleitiss wrote: »
    Let's assume you hit someones car, lets assume you settled it with them for a sum of money and you transfered it to them and everyone agreed that's it - it's over, no questions asked.
    2 Weeks later they call you and say they will claim from your insurance for damages, all receipts are present.

In short you are goosed I'm afraid.

I'd always be wary of offering to pay for damages for an accident you are at fault for, the only time I'd say to do it would be if it was a close family member.

I've said it before, the thought of a nice fat compo settlement turns otherwise decent people into money grubbing ****.

In short you are goosed I'm afraid.

I'd always be wary of offering to pay for damages for an accident you are at fault for, the only time I'd say to do it would be if it was a close family member.

I've said it before, the thought of a nice fat compo settlement turns otherwise decent people into money grubbing ****.

I've heard before that if you don't report incident immediately to your insurance - it's invalidated, is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

You cannot claim for the same loss twice. You indemnified the 3rd party once, your insurers will not do it a 2nd time on your behalf. However, the 3rd party can claim for verified additional items and for personal injuries. If you've paid them for material damage and an injury claim comes in, there is little to be done to defend it. You've admitted liability and your insurer won't be best pleased

You cannot claim for the same loss twice. You indemnified the 3rd party once, your insurers will not do it a 2nd time on your behalf. However, the 3rd party can claim for verified additional items and for personal injuries. If you've paid them for material damage and an injury claim comes in, there is little to be done to defend it. You've admitted liability and your insurer won't be best pleased

Nobody was in a car, there is not a chance someone could've got hurt, are they just trying to push their luck and extort more money with insurance threat? It's what it sounds like right now.

Nobody was in a car, there is not a chance someone could've got hurt, are they just trying to push their luck and extort more money with insurance threat? It's what it sounds like right now.

If they've submitted a formal claim with your insurers and you can prove you paid them for the same items, have your insurer report them for attempted insurance fraud.

OK well once there are no PI claims possible then that's much different.

Best bet is to contact your insurer directly, provide them with full details of what happened and any receipts for payment and do not engage with the third party in anyway.

They will be trained professionals and likely have their own engineer inspect the vehicle.

Did you take photos of the damage by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If they've submitted a formal claim with your insurers and you can prove you paid them for the same items, have your insurer report them for attempted insurance fraud.

It's not necessarily fraud if they are claiming for damage that was unknown or unclear at the time of the original direct claim and payment.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    It's not necessarily fraud if they are claiming for damage that was unknown or unclear at the time of the original direct claim and payment.

That's why I specifically said the 'same items' and in an earlier post said 'verified additional items'. Otherwise it IS fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

My current insurance expires on 25th of this month. I'm collecting my new car next Friday. My current insurance company have given me a quote on the new car but it is a good bit higher than I can get quotes for online with other companies. My question is, when I'm looking for quotes online and filling in details about my NCB and policy end date it then says I can't have an end date after the date I want the new policy to start. So should I transfer onto my current policy for the week and then get a new policy or just go ahead with the new policy as I already have my NCB cert here from when my renewal quote was posted out. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks
    Mark

Yeah, transfer it to your existing policy and take out your new policy from the 26th PROVIDING they don't have a big admin charge for alterations. If they do, cancel your existing policy before it is due to expire. I'm assuming you don't need to complete the year for an additional years bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

What impact will a very small collision I had when driving a employers vehicle have on my own private policy down the line.

Other parties front indicator and plastic and small fist sized dent and at rear of the one I was driving. Other party insisted on going through insurance and having gar da on scene even though I accepted blame and offered to pay. (Bit bloody mental - imo)

Armadillo wrote: »
    What impact will a very small collision I had when driving a employers vehicle have on my own private policy down the line.

Other parties front indicator and plastic and small fist sized dent and at rear of the one I was driving. Other party insisted on going through insurance and having gar da on scene even though I accepted blame and offered to pay. (Bit bloody mental - imo)

You will have to declare it to any potential insurers and your own current insurer.

It shouldn't be any issue at all but is better to offer full disclosure.

Armadillo wrote: »

It's not the physical size of the claim that needs to be taken in to consideration, it's the final cost. Keep an eye out for any injury claim to come in, especially when they insist on a Garda when you admitted liability

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

I assume this has been asked before but I can't find any recent answers, for an 18 year old new to driving is motorbike insurance much different in price to car insurance? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hiwazup

Hi, I just passed my theory tests and started my lessons but I was wondering how much roughly would it cost to be added to my parents insurance?

Hiwazup wrote: »
    Hi, I just passed my theory tests and started my lessons but I was wondering how much roughly would it cost to be added to my parents insurance?

There is no set answer.

It will depend on the car type and other factors but you would probably be talking anywhere from €500 to €1500 annually.

There is no set answer.

It will depend on the car type and other factors but you would probably be talking anywhere from €500 to €1500 annually.

It's a 2008 Toyota Avensis Strata 1.6l. Would you think it would be on the upper or lower end of the spectrum?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I'm presuming you are young and it is quite possible that your parent's insurance company may refuse to add you on at any cost

I'm presuming you are young and it is quite possible that your parent's insurance company may refuse to add you on at any cost

21 next week so hopefully not too young!

21 next week so hopefully not too young!

As the policy is in your parent's name, they must get the quote from the insurer to add you on.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

123.ie are offering me 10% off if I use an app to monitor my driving. No claims or penalty points since I started driving and 3 years with them not enough for a discount? C*nts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Quick question, who are the best brokers to use to save ringing around every company?

Mourinho wrote: »
    Quick question, who are the best brokers to use to save ringing around every company?

There is no best ones per se.

The larger ones with the most options and therefore more potential discount would be Chill or The AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dunderrow

Just wondering if anyone else has experience of this:

I have 25yrs driving on my own policy without a claim, no points and until recently had 75% NCB with Axa.

My car was caught up in the floods over Christmas and was declared a write-off by Axa assessor and the claim settled in January (€10k).

Before settling the claim I asked Axa how it would affect my NCB and was told because I had stepback policy it would probably go from 75% to 60% - which seemed fair enough to me.

My premium prior to this had been about €650 pa. I bought exactly the same car again, same year, same spec etc, the only difference being the colour and new car has lower mileage.

I nearly fainted when I got my renewal premium last week which they stated was "Only" €1625 + 17% interest if I wanted to pay monthly.

I'm no mathematician - but it was pretty obvious that the difference between 650 and 1625 was more than -15%. I checked my NCB and it had indeed gone from 75% to 60%.

I phoned Axa to tell them they had made an error in calculating my premium but was assured that this premium was correct.

I then sent them an email asking for a breakdown of how my premium had gone up by 2.5 times original premium and this was the reply I got

"increases of the insurance rates across the industry this year not specifically the increases of the insurance rates specific to your policy as you lost 15% of your no claim bonus discount" - obviously not committing to answering the actual question.

I then decided to get a quote on the Axa website using all the same parameters as my profile would have been before the claim (with 75% NCB) - the quote was for €810.

So I emailed Axa again explaining that:

My figures are based on your CURRENT premiums at 75% NCD.

I got an online quote YESTERDAY from Axa with exactly the same parameters such as car type, age, area etc. as I had before the claim. The price quoted is EUR809.66 with 75% NCD (see attached screengrab) so this is taking into account CURRENT pricing.

Based on this figure my premium at 60% NCD would be EUR1295.46 Not EUR1624.94.

They emailed back to say would I like them to ring me to discuss this over the phone - I said if that will help shed any light on the problem please do - I haven't heard anything since - 2 working days ago...

Am I likely to have any joy with Axa reducing the premium or is the stepback policy just a marketing gimmick?

Can I bring whats left of my NCD to other companies? 60% with Axa equates to 4 yrs as far as I can see... any advice/ experience appreciated.

I have 25yrs driving on my own policy without a claim, no points and until recently had 75% NCB with Axa.

My car was caught up in the floods over Christmas and was declared a write-off by Axa assessor and the claim settled in January (€10k).

Before settling the claim I asked Axa how it would affect my NCB and was told because I had stepback policy it would probably go from 75% to 60% - which seemed fair enough to me.

My premium prior to this had been about €650 pa. I bought exactly the same car again, same year, same spec etc, the only difference being the colour and new car has lower mileage.

I nearly fainted when I got my renewal premium last week which they stated was "Only" €1625 + 17% interest if I wanted to pay monthly.

I'm no mathematician - but it was pretty obvious that the difference between 650 and 1625 was more than -15%. I checked my NCB and it had indeed gone from 75% to 60%.

I phoned Axa to tell them they had made an error in calculating my premium but was assured that this premium was correct.

I then sent them an email asking for a breakdown of how my premium had gone up by 2.5 times original premium and this was the reply I got

"increases of the insurance rates across the industry this year not specifically the increases of the insurance rates specific to your policy as you lost 15% of your no claim bonus discount" - obviously not committing to answering the actual question.

I then decided to get a quote on the Axa website using all the same parameters as my profile would have been before the claim (with 75% NCB) - the quote was for €810.

"My figures are based on your CURRENT premiums at 75% NCD.

I got an online quote YESTERDAY from Axa with exactly the same parameters such as car type, age, area etc. as I had before the claim. The price quoted is EUR809.66 with 75% NCD (see attached screengrab) so this is taking into account CURRENT pricing.

Based on this figure my premium at 60% NCD would be EUR1295.46 Not EUR1624.94"

They emailed back to say would I like them to ring me to discuss this over the phone - I said if that will help shed any light on the problem please do - I haven't heard anything since - 2 working days ago...

Am I likely to have any joy with Axa reducing the premium or is the stepback policy just a marketing gimmick?

Can I bring whats left of my NCD to other companies? 60% with Axa equates to 4 yrs as far as I can see... any advice/ experience appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

dunderrow wrote: »

My figures are based on your CURRENT premiums at 75% NCD.

Based on this figure my premium at 60% NCD would be EUR1295.46 Not EUR1624.94.

A 15% reduction in NCB does not mean a corresponding 15% increase in the premium. The premium and the NCB rates are not related.

As you have a claim your premium is based on different parameters and will usually rise irrespective of how your NCB was affected.

You could have a full no claims protection and still your premium will increase based on your claims history.

This is pretty normal.

Basing your figures on everything before the claim and then reducing your NCB from 75% to 60% accordingly will not give you an accurate idea of your new premium as the claim is now taken into account in determining the premium before the NCB is applied.

All that is protected is your NCB (or part of it), not the rate of your premium.

• Advertisement

Thanks GM228 - So does this mean the insurance co can lead you into a false sense of security by telling you that you have retained most of your NCB and then laoding whatever they like onto the base permium? This new premium without any NCB woud be 4K.

It certainly would have been helpful if Axa had explained this beforehand, it doesn't mention it anywhere on policy document or website FAQ's - and would certainly have influenced my choice of replacement car/ engine size.

Advertisement