Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Theferrariguy5

Hi I recently became aware that some insurers have decided to stop insuring cars over 15 yeard old.This is becoming a problem for people who can't afford newer cars. Are there any insurance brokers who arnt under this policy?

Secondly this is a bit irrelevant but what insurers help with first time driver s with a no claims on a named driver?e.g ek4 civic, glanza v etc

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Hi guys,

I will be going through all of the companies over the next few days but I just wanted to get a sense from people in similar circumstances here first.

I am a 22 year old driver on a 2 year full license, have 3 years NCB on my renewal date on the 13th April and I drive a very well looked after Toyota Yaris 1.0L. The only unfortunate part is that the car is a 1999. This year, that seems to mean 90% rejection rate.

Last year I paid 960E, which was a slight rise on my quote from my 1 year NCB year. This year it's looking like the same is going to happen. From the 3-4 I've rang so far I've either gotten ridiculous quotes (1500, 2200) or been rejected. I did get a reasonable sign online from Britton with a quote of 1137, but even that is still a bit more than I'd like with my NCB.

Basically, I'm wondering what company have people in similar situations found to be best for them. I am currently waiting for a re-quote from Asgard through Chill by the end of the week, so hopefully that will give me an OK baseline.

At this stage, it's almost feeling like it could be cheaper to buy a reasonably OK 2005 for like 1k and getting a cheaper insurance quote, which would not be ideal because the Yaris runs extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It's actually something that I'm concerned about myself. Driving a 14 year old E46 Coupe at the moment and there are two angles to be worried about;
    • Insuring it myself
    • Selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

Yes its defiantly getting harder to insure older cars, I tried loads today and had a nightmare really just one or two places and especially for imports!:eek:

posted a long comment on my finding in the modified car insurance thread today and just on the age of the car was the most refusals I found before import even.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Would appreciate if anyone could suggest a number of insurance companies that are cheap and ones to avoid?

I was told today also that some companies don't insure older than 01. What sort of crap is this? Has anyone else come across this before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

brainiac wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I will be going through all of the companies over the next few days but I just wanted to get a sense from people in similar circumstances here first.

I am a 22 year old driver on a 2 year full license, have 3 years NCB on my renewal date on the 13th April and I drive a very well looked after Toyota Yaris 1.0L. The only unfortunate part is that the car is a 1999. This year, that seems to mean 90% rejection rate.

Last year I paid 960E, which was a slight rise on my quote from my 1 year NCB year. This year it's looking like the same is going to happen. From the 3-4 I've rang so far I've either gotten ridiculous quotes (1500, 2200) or been rejected. I did get a reasonable sign online from Britton with a quote of 1137, but even that is still a bit more than I'd like with my NCB.

Basically, I'm wondering what company have people in similar situations found to be best for them. I am currently waiting for a re-quote from Asgard through Chill by the end of the week, so hopefully that will give me an OK baseline.

At this stage, it's almost feeling like it could be cheaper to buy a reasonably OK 2005 for like 1k and getting a cheaper insurance quote, which would not be ideal because the Yaris runs extremely well.

Hi brainiac,

Sarah from Bank of Ireland here, we have a Talk to Forum on Boards and just noticed your post here. We offer Car insurance which you may not be aware of and would quote a car over ten years old, just to mention you would need to have a valid NCT for your car. Our current offer gives you up to 25% off your car insurance quote and is running until March 31st. Pop into our Talk to Forum on Boards if you’d like to chat to us further, we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Suggestions for companies that give insurance despite a high claim previously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

closeline wrote: »
    Suggestions for companies that give insurance despite a high claim previously?

Most insurers have a threshold of €20k for a single accident or 2 accidents for more than €20k combined.

Try a few brokers - Chill, First Ireland, Wrights, Brittons.

You are probably likely stuck with your existing insurer though Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

try other companies its not like an accident-10k settled and if 4yrs count remains, should have some better offers,only way you can be tied that some companies refuse to insure if you had claims within last 2yrs-if im correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Hi
    Help and advice needed please

My car was stolen 18 months ago, claim settled 19000 euro. 2litre Opel Insignia
    Renewed my insurance last year with existing insurer 768 euro.

Renewal for next year arrived today 1566 euro.
    Opel insignia 2litre 2014 reg, value 20k.

I had full protected no claims bonus for several years , my Ncb chert today's says it's protected, but also notes..number of claim free years 1.

I know insurance is on the rise across the board, is there any other insurer who would be willing to take me on or I am screwed totally and will have to shell out this figure?

In shock is not the word, my insurance went up a small bit at time of insuring the replacement car.
    This renewal price today is frightening

Any options option to me?
    Really appreciate any advice,thank you

Ps if I should have posted this in the sticks, apologies mods, please move.

• Advertisement

A lot of insurers have a €20k threshold for claims on new business ie they will quote if your claim was less than €20k.

They may also look more favourably as it's a non fault claim, plus the fact you still have your full bonus.

All you can do is hit the phones and see what you can turn up.

I would be surprised if you can't get something cheaper in the market, it may take a bit of leg work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ATMatm

What does your point on scale say? If it's from 5 years and up then you have a full bonus and they are correctly stating that you haven't claimed in a year.

ATMatm wrote: »
    What does your point on scale say? If it's from 5 years and up then you have a full bonus and they are correctly stating that you haven't claimed in a year.

Am I understanding you correctly in what you say? My no claims discount says ,discount 55% representing 5 years ,number of claims free years 1.
    Claim status settled , 17467 euro

Take the previous posters advice and ring around non stop? See how I fare out?

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Am I understanding you correctly in what you say? My no claims discount says ,discount 55% representing 5 years ,number of claims free years 1.
    Claim status settled , 17467 euro

Take the previous posters advice and ring around non stop? See how I fare out?

You are one year claims free but you still have your full bonus entitlement.

When you are ringing insurers just tell them you had a theft claim but had full NCB protection so have a full bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

You have had a claim. Whether or not you have Bonus Protection is only of relevance to the Insurer you paid extra to for the privilege. Other insurers will go by their own acceptance criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ATMatm

To Elland Back. The fact that he has a 5 year discount even with the claim makes a huge wedge of difference in any quotes OP will be provided both with his current insurer and elsewhere. Try it with a 3 year bonus and all the same details and see the difference.

The claim will have a huge bearing on your premium OP but shopping around is the only way. Get on the phone whenever you have a chance and just lash out as many quotes that you can.

I am going to go through every insurer possible for a quote and see how I fare out.

Anyone got any good recommendations for starting points ?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read OP in this thread for some companies.
    Also read the other sticky - quotes.

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Hi
    Help and advice needed please

My car was stolen 18 months ago, claim settled 19000 euro. 2litre Opel Insignia
    Renewed my insurance last year with existing insurer 768 euro.

Renewal for next year arrived today 1566 euro.
    Opel insignia 2litre 2014 reg, value 20k.

I had full protected no claims bonus for several years , my Ncb chert today's says it's protected, but also notes..number of claim free years 1.

I know insurance is on the rise across the board, is there any other insurer who would be willing to take me on or I am screwed totally and will have to shell out this figure?

In shock is not the word, my insurance went up a small bit at time of insuring the replacement car.
    This renewal price today is frightening

Any options option to me?
    Really appreciate any advice,thank you

Ps if I should have posted this in the sticks, apologies mods, please move.

Spent the whole day ringing insurance companies and brokers.
    Prices ranged up to 2900 with 1 company!!
    Average price coming in around 1100 euro.

But found 25plus.ie and got a price of 816 euro from them online.
    Rang them and they couldn't discuss details about the quote over the phone, they told me I had to chat online about it. Very odd I thought.
    Anyway they told me eventually the price is 816 , the same benefits of my previous insurance.

Anyone any experience of them, good bad or indifferent? Very tempted to go with them,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Hi,

I've changed jobs recently and my new role will be based off site, away from the office.

Would Class 1a Social Domestic and Pleasure cover me to drive to this location even though its not the address of my employer? I will be driving to a hotel daily but I'm not employed by the hotel.

Would I have to get class 1b?

• Advertisement

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've changed jobs recently and my new role will be based off site, away from the office.

Would Class 1a Social Domestic and Pleasure cover me to drive to this location even though its not the address of my employer? I will be driving to a hotel daily but I'm not employed by the hotel.

Would I have to get class 1b?

Class 1a covers SD&P and the commute to work, if you are driving to one location only then your insurance is sufficient, if you driving to different sites on a regular basis (at least once a week) or you need to get your employer indemnified then you should have class 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

anyone know a cheap towing service???

Had a claim a year and a half ago. Existing insurer offering 1900 on existing policy as a named driver.

Another company offering me insurance on my own for 2770. If I do go for that, will it come down a good bit next year?

Anyone like to offer me some advice on what's the best route to go down, PM preferably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Had a claim a year and a half ago. Existing insurer offering 1900 on existing policy as a named driver.

Another company offering me insurance on my own for 2770. If I do go for that, will it come down a good bit next year?

Anyone like to offer me some advice on what's the best route to go down, PM preferably.

It's not a cost issue. Either you are the main driver of the car or you're not. You can't choose the one that suits you best.

RainyDay wrote: »
    It's not a cost issue. Either you are the main driver of the car or you're not. You can't choose the one that suits you best.

Are you sure about that?

Are you sure about that?

Yep. Your insurance proposal form will ask you who the main driver is. If you lie about this, your insurance policy is invalid.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Yep. Your insurance proposal form will ask you who the main driver is. If you lie about this, your insurance policy is invalid.

Really? I know a couple of lads who have done this. I better let them know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

It's either your car or it isn't and the log book is not the only criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi all,

Passed my test and looking to buy a car and insurance.

Currently at home theres a car and a van. The fathers name is on the car and the mothers name is on the van, even though the mother would really use the car and the father would be using the van. (Hope im making sense)

Im looking to get my own car now and insured. Am I allowed to get one of my parents to be the main policy holder on my new car and put me as a named driver on it, to reduce cost of insurance? I understand their no claims wont swap over

• Advertisement

Im looking to get my own car now and insured. Am I allowed to get one of my parents to be the main policy holder on my new car and put me as a named driver on it, to reduce cost of insurance? I understand their no claims wont swap over

You will be asked 'who is the main driver of the car' as part of your insurance quotation. If you lie about this, your insurance contract is invalid.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/oct/14/fronting-car-insurance-costs-parents
    It's either your car or it isn't and the log book is not the only criteria

Isn't ownership a separate issue? I'm the owner of our car, and my missus is the main driver. Once this is all declared correctly, there is no problem.
    Lots of people chance their arms on this and other stuff in Ireland, thinking they are the cute hoors. But when faced with a large payout, insurance companies are very good at finding ways to avoid payment - such as lies on a proposal form.

Advertisement