Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

RainyDay wrote: »
    You will be asked 'who is the main driver of the car' as part of your insurance quotation. If you lie about this, your insurance contract is invalid.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/oct/14/fronting-car-insurance-costs-parents

Isn't ownership a separate issue? I'm the owner of our car, and my missus is the main driver. Once this is all declared correctly, there is no problem.

Lots of people chance their arms on this and other stuff in Ireland, thinking they are the cute hoors. But when faced with a large payout, insurance companies are very good at finding ways to avoid payment - such as lies on a proposal form.

There must be a lot of invalid policies in the country so :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

closeline wrote: »
    There must be a lot of invalid policies in the country so :):)

Maybe, but why the smilies? You know how insurance fraud works, right? The rest of the insurance customers pay for the fraudsters - not really funny for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Spent the whole day ringing insurance companies and brokers.
    Prices ranged up to 2900 with 1 company!!
    Average price coming in around 1100 euro.

But found 25plus.ie and got a price of 816 euro from them online.
    Rang them and they couldn't discuss details about the quote over the phone, they told me I had to chat online about it. Very odd I thought.
    Anyway they told me eventually the price is 816 , the same benefits of my previous insurance.

Anyone any experience of them, good bad or indifferent? Very tempted to go with them,
    i have been with them for the last year, the online chat is very good for any queries, i recently changed cars and used the online chat and he told me what to do, the prices are lower as its all online as far as i know.
    just renewed with them last night, they were a few hundred cheapers than the likes of axa and 123 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭supersparkz

Anybody know why all the companies now ask you how long you have owned the car? Does this affect price much?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Maybe, but why the smilies? You know how insurance fraud works, right? The rest of the insurance customers pay for the fraudsters - not really funny for me.

But realistically are they really? Have claims/ fraud really been going up so much in the last year that it warrants the current price hikes? I think insurance fraud is a serious crime but still, insurance companies would raise prices as much as they are able to, even if there wasnt any fraud in the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Anybody know why all the companies now ask you how long you have owned the car? Does this affect price much?:confused:

I wondered the same when I was getting quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭supersparkz

I wondered the same when I was getting quotes
    I'm sure it's something to save the consumer money...Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

One of the reasons is to identify smart boyos who have just bought a small car and insure it to allow them drive a 'friend's' high powered shltbox under their driving of other cars extension. It doesn't (shouldn't) attract any loading, it will just warrant further investigation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Isn't ownership a separate issue? I'm the owner of our car, and my missus is the main driver. Once this is all declared correctly, there is no problem.

Spouses are deemed to have joint ownership

The poster asked if he should continue as a named driver or take out his own policy, something he could only do if it was his vehicle. Under those circumstances, you can't choose which option you prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mburke

Renewing insurance and have the option of "legal cover", is this worth having and if you were in an accident wouldn't the insurance company be looking after all legal aspects ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Anybody know why all the companies now ask you how long you have owned the car? Does this affect price much?

Can I add few more questions in case anyone knows answers to these.
    Why they ask how long I've been living in Ireland; or my occupation; or was the car purchased new.
    Also some ask for a driver number - I don't have one. Well I do but it would not show up on their system and it is blank on my current Irish licence which I took instead of full EU one. They can't also decide how to treat it. Full Irish or full European? Licence held since 1996. Irish piece of plastic taken out in 2014. According to some I am new, unexperienced driver. Circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My mother is looking to buy a car but she's having a problem getting a quote on any car over 10 years old.

She just moved back from the U.K. but she has a full irish driving license and she has a long NCB from her time in the UK

Does anyone know which insurance companies will quote new customers with a 10 year old car?

The car she's actually looking at is a 99 Yaris which would suit her perfectly for the little bit of driving she'd be doing. She can't afford to spend thousands on a newer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Akrasia wrote: »
    My mother is looking to buy a car but she's having a problem getting a quote on any car over 10 years old.

She just moved back from the U.K. but she has a full irish driving license and she has a long NCB from her time in the UK

Does anyone know which insurance companies will quote new customers with a 10 year old car?

The car she's actually looking at is a 99 Yaris which would suit her perfectly for the little bit of driving she'd be doing. She can't afford to spend thousands on a newer car.

I drive a 99 Yaris and ended up switching from Chill to Bank of Ireland a few weeks ago. Got a reasonable quote compared to all other companies. Other companies that were quoting me (you need to ring) include AXA, Cover in a Click and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

brainiac wrote: »
    I drive a 99 Yaris and ended up switching from Chill to Bank of Ireland a few weeks ago. Got a reasonable quote compared to all other companies. Other companies that were quoting me (you need to ring) include AXA, Cover in a Click and a few others.

Cool. Thanks for that. She went to a broker and was told she should buy a newer car because nobody would quote her.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Interesting one with Liberty. I have a new Seat Ibiza Cupra on order, rang Liberty to get a quote (currently drive an RX8) "Oh we dont insure that car"

"But I'm 26 with 6 years NCB and moving from a higher risk, rear wheel drive vehicle"

"Doesnt matter, we dont insure that car, send us proof of purchase and I'll pass it on to the underwriters"

So they will insure 10 year old jap scrap but not a comparatively tame warm hatch

Anyway this means that if they dont quote me I dont have to pay any cancellation fees to move to another insurer, I've already gotten a half decent quote of ~850 from the AA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Hi all,

Does anyone know any insurance companies that offer third party extension as standard to 21 year olds?

Last year when I was getting quotes Liberty were offering third party extension (I was 20). I tried getting a quote from them now and I can't see any mention of it now :(

I'd really like to get such a policy even if it costs me an arm and a leg extra but I can't really find any :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

From my cert:
    kspkvTa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I have mine through Aviva, only stipulation was I had to have my full licence for 2 years.

I have mine through Aviva, only stipulation was I had to have my full licence for 2 years.

They expect me to do the ignition course if I haven't had a full licence for 3 years or more ;(

Do it, I did it. It's free, gives you a discount too.

• Advertisement

Do it, I did it. It's free, gives you a discount too.

You've to do it in one of their cars right? Is it much different from a driving test?

shietpilot wrote: »
    You've to do it in one of their cars right? Is it much different from a driving test?

Yeah I did it in one of their Diesel Fiesta's. Pretty much the same as a driving test except at the start you do a hazard identification test on an iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Aviva and liberty are the main ones. Some brokers too but usually they're using aviva or liberty anyway. Wexford insurance use aviva and 3rd party extension is on their policies but aviva were cheaper for me, a friend however got a cheaper quote with Wexford so they could be worth a try. Britton insurance offered it with one crowd but they were mad dear the last time I tried them.
    Apart from those it's slim pickings although I heard pub talk about curran Connolly of drogheda offering 3rd party extension through Lloyds however I couldn't confirm whether this is true or not, could be worth a try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

shietpilot wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know any insurance companies that offer third party extension as standard to 21 year olds?

Last year when I was getting quotes Liberty were offering third party extension (I was 20). I tried getting a quote from them now and I can't see any mention of it now :(

I'd really like to get such a policy even if it costs me an arm and a leg extra but I can't really find any :(

It doesn't mention it on Liberty's site but it is standard on all policies if you have a full licence

millington wrote: »
    It doesn't mention it on Liberty's site but it is standard on all policies if you have a full licence

Nice one! I'll give them a call so and ask after they quote me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Has anyone else had problems with CoverInAClick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

sup_dude wrote: »

Never heard of them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

sup_dude wrote: »

I know a lad thats with them. Gave him a decent quote on a 08 1.4 Golf.

Wouldnt give me a look in unless I had a year of named driving experience

If the price is good and the cover is good then I don't see any reason not to go with them! Any insurance company is as good as any other :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Oh no, I already have a policy with them. I'm just having a fair bit of trouble with them money wise and I'm wondering if this is the norm for them.

Advertisement