Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Could someone explain to me the rationale behind this business whereby if you own a second car, your NCB doesn't apply to it and you end up paying a fortune to insure some weekend runabout with half the engine of you r main car, like a 17-year-old? You can only drive one car at the time, and the NCB should follow the driver, not the car, exactly as it does when you change the car. I would say at worst the premium should reflect the "riskiest" of the the two (or indeed more) cars involved, but with your NCB applying in full to each. This is done with motorcycle policies all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jimgoose wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me the rationale behind this business whereby if you own a second car, your NCB doesn't apply to it and you end up paying a fortune to insure some weekend runabout with half the engine of you r main car, like a 17-year-old? You can only drive one car at the time, and the NCB should follow the driver, not the car, exactly as it does when you change the car. I would say at worst the premium should reflect the "riskiest" of the the two (or indeed more) cars involved, but with your NCB applying in full to each. This is done with motorcycle policies all the time.

I agree with you.

The issue as i see it is the fear of fronting.

The RTA states that once an insurer agrees to take on a car then they cannot decline to add on additional drivers if requested to do so.

So someone looking to take out a second policy with no bonus, particularly if its a sportier and older car automatically sets off alarm bells.

There should be discretion used however when you allow one genuine person to do it they are obliged to do it for everyone and the reality is that it will be abused.

Its annoying for the likes of yourself and other genuine cases but for every genuine enthusiast there are multiples of people that would abuse it.

The number of people out there that have no problem with fronting and do not understand the implications is staggering.

I agree with you.

The issue as i see it is the fear of fronting.

The RTA states that once an insurer agrees to take on a car then they cannot decline to add on additional drivers if requested to do so.

So someone looking to take out a second policy with no bonus, particularly if its a sportier and older car automatically sets off alarm bells.

There should be discretion used however when you allow one genuine person to do it they are obliged to do it for everyone and the reality is that it will be abused.

Its annoying for the likes of yourself and other genuine cases but for every genuine enthusiast there are multiples of people that would abuse it.

The number of people out there that have no problem with fronting and do not understand the implications is staggering.

I'm not quite with you, chief - I'm talking about someone with "infinite" NCB on a heavy old capital ship, such as myself, with a second car. Say an MX-5 for Sunday mornings. How does that present more of a fronting risk than any other setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

By fronting do you mean John Doe having a number of cars insured with a view to Jimmy or Jane Doe (John's son or daughter) having use of one of John's additional cars ?

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm not quite with you, chief - I'm talking about someone with "infinite" NCB on a heavy old capital ship, such as myself, with a second car. Say an MX-5 for Sunday mornings. How does that present more of a fronting risk than any other setup?

From the insurers POV the second car could be used by a young driver. As people have pointed out, you can only drive one car at a time so potentially the second car could be the regular motor for A.N Other.

• Advertisement

By fronting do you mean John Doe having a number of cars insured with a view to Jimmy or Jane Doe (John's son or daughter) having use of one of John's additional cars ?

That's exactly it.

From the insurers POV the second car could be used by a young driver. As people have pointed out, you can only drive one car at a time so potentially the second car could be the regular motor for A.N Other.

Well that's only relevant should a second driver with a certain profile - age, no NCB/policy of their own/full license, etc. - show up as a named driver on either car. In that event, then by all means go to town. But the default position should be full NCB mirroring.

You have a point, of course - but as usual, the industry's answer to it is way too "blunderbuss" altogether. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Depending on the age of the Mazda, you might get a classic policy.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

I've been looking up quotes for a 2010 Hyundai i30 1.6 Diesel, which I'm looking to buy. The car was originally registered in NI.
    Bank of Ireland, underwritten by RSA, are offering insurance. They gave an on-line quote of ~500 EUR when I picked 'No' for 'Is this a used import?', and ~660 EUR when I picked 'Yes'. I rang them and asked if NI counts as imported and they said yes. Should there really be an extra 160 EUR on the premium just because the car was originally registered in the North? Has anyone encountered this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SureWhyNotNow

I'm a bit out of the loop with insurance stuff because of exams and travelling back and forth from ukraine. Some questions:

I am 18 and fully licensed since February. I have not been insured because quotes are off the wall for everything and FBD inflate my dad's policy if he adds me as a named driver. He currently pays 780 ish on a 1998 VW Sharan 1.9 with full No claims bonus and has a second car with full NCD. Is it generally normal for insurers to inflate costs for adding a named driver? My mother has her provisional. Would her being added to my dad's policy bring a discount?

Is it true that if you are not insured for 2 years that costs will go up? I have (and will get more) experience driving abroad as we only insure cars in Ukraine and not the driver,would that have some bearing in Ireland?

Another thing- How old does a car have to be to have classic insurance? 20 or 25?

cheers in advance for any advice. i'll be honest- kind of regretting wasting mine and my parents money on lessons and not being able to afford to drive. looks like I will be taking the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I'm a bit out of the loop with insurance stuff because of exams and travelling back and forth from ukraine. Some questions:

I am 18 and fully licensed since February. I have not been insured because quotes are off the wall for everything and FBD inflate my dad's policy if he adds me as a named driver. He currently pays 780 ish on a 1998 VW Sharan 1.9 with full No claims bonus and has a second car with full NCD. Is it generally normal for insurers to inflate costs for adding a named driver? My mother has her provisional. Would her being added to my dad's policy bring a discount?

Is it true that if you are not insured for 2 years that costs will go up? I have (and will get more) experience driving abroad as we only insure cars in Ukraine and not the driver,would that have some bearing in Ireland?

Another thing- How old does a car have to be to have classic insurance? 20 or 25?

cheers in advance for any advice. i'll be honest- kind of regretting wasting mine and my parents money on lessons and not being able to afford to drive. looks like I will be taking the bus.

20 years you will usually get classic insurance

I wonder what is the general atomsphere like in the insurance companies these days? Does it resemble a scene from Wolf of Wallstreet before the sh1t hit the fan, prostitutes being marched in every day, midgets being thrown at bullseyes in the middle of the office, fellas taking "ludes" on superyachts? If they are almost doubling the money they are taking in there must be a few extra bob available for 'entertainment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

My renewal is coming up. I drive 1.6 Toyota Avensis 2002. License 10 years+ NCB 6 years + Last year I paid 485 euro for fully comp.

I put my details into 123.ie and AIG and both quotes were ~ 1100.

I expected a rise in premium but over 100% increase?

That increase would exceed any savings from so called "cheap petrol"

Anyone managed to get a decent quote recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Call them all

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

There is no such thing as "value" when your talking about motor insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Call them all

This.

Ring every one of them, then play the best offers against each other.

No loyalty in insurers, and no consistency in value judging by all the different quotes seen on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

There's a sticky thread about insurance quotes at the top of the forum here.

A lot of us got good quotes from Bank Of Ireland car insurance, so they're worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Def try bank of ireland, especially if you're an acc holder with them. AFAIK if you have their house insurance it's worth about 10% extra off as well.

I think I ended up paying €10 more than last year, despite my renewal going up by €1250

Yeah I will phone around.

I find it's hard to compare like with like. I wish there was a regulated "Comprehensive offering that had x y z" so you didn't have to worry with this step back / full ncb protection / windscreen / drive other cars / different excesses / break down cover etc etc. Would make shopping around sooooooooooooo much easier.

Comprehensive is very open to interpretation .

Got the following quote from BOI
    €688.85

Still 40% increase on last year...:rolleyes:

My existing insurer hasn't issued renewal so I'll hold off till that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The second best price I got was from this company

O'Malley-Griffin (Brokers) Ltd  
    Address: Bridge House, Lower Mallow St, Limerick
    Phone:(061) 314 025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Xcellor wrote: »
    Got the following quote from BOI
    €688.85

Still 40% increase on last year...:rolleyes:

My existing insurer hasn't issued renewal so I'll hold off till that.

You can be pretty certain your own insurer will hit you with a big rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Wailin

ofcork wrote: »
    You can be pretty certain your own insurer will hit you with a big rise.

Not necessarily. My insurance is up next month so I checked around before the renewal notice arrived. I was getting ridiculous quotes of 850 plus. Cheapest was 650.....then the renewal notice arrived and it was 515.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

You are one of the very few so mine went from 380 to 607 got BOI for 540!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Wailin

ofcork wrote: »
    You are one of the very few so mine went from 380 to 607 got BOI for 540!

I know man, scandalous what the costs are this year.

I got the renewal from my current insurer. 718 euro up from 485. Almost 50% rise. ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Xcellor wrote: »
    I got the renewal from my current insurer. 718 euro up from 485. Almost 50% rise. ffs.

All robbing bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I am 22, my mother is 45, shes a named driver on my Policy and holds Provisional with 1 year NCB and I have 4 years NCB.

Would having her as named driver affect my policy price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

All robbing bastards

"across the board"

"the reality of the market"

"the way things are"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My insurance is due up in 5wks, i'm going to start shopping around soon, i have 1 claim, a chip in my wondscreen that was repaired, that was 3yrs ago, apart from that have full protected NCB. Do i have to declare that claim?

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    My insurance is due up in 5wks, i'm going to start shopping around soon, i have 1 claim, a chip in my wondscreen that was repaired, that was 3yrs ago, apart from that have full protected NCB. Do i have to declare that claim?

Technically yes however its not considered a claim as such ie an accident or theft claim.

For the sake of good order though you should say yes.

Ive seen a few online quote engines that have something to the effect of "have you had any claims, other than windscreen in the last 5 years"

In instances like that there is no disclosure issue but if you are getting quotes over the phone then you should mention it.

Advertisement