Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

arleitiss wrote: »
    I am 22, my mother is 45, shes a named driver on my Policy and holds Provisional with 1 year NCB and I have 4 years NCB.

Would having her as named driver affect my policy price?
    Believe it or not, it will probably reduce your premium.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I was on Allianz for two years as an Irish provisional driver. I got my full license earlier this month. I'm a 49-year-old American woman with 30 years driving history in the US and nine years no-claims bonus. I drive a 13-year-old Yaris. Last year I paid around 500 EUR for comprehensive coverage as a provisional driver. This year, for the same coverage with the full license, I was just quoted 753. When I called to make sure that was correct, they said their "best price" was about 690. Went with 123.ie for essentially the same coverage (including protected NCB but 300 excess instead of 250), plus key replacement add-on, for 520. The kicker is, I would have rather stayed with Allianz because I have a good relationship with them, but that price, ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stanleytli

Hi,
    My daughter, 19 years old, past the driving test and now he's full license.
    What car (make, model, year, engine size) to buy for her to get reasonable insurance.
    Thanks in advance.

stanleytli wrote: »
    Hi,
    My daughter, 19 years old, past the driving test and now he's full license.
    What car (make, model, year, engine size) to buy for her to get reasonable insurance.
    Thanks in advance.

I bought my Yaris because it was a reliable Toyota and I had experience with Toyotas, it was a small 1-litre engine and I wanted the max fuel efficiency and didn't care about being glamorous, it was older than I wanted but had the best value for money, it was ubiquitous so parts were always easy to find and cheap, maintenance costs were low, and I was told it was the best choice for insurance. I didn't know, but I found out later, that it was the most-recommended set of training wheels for a new driver, and I bet most of the people on this thread will agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stanleytli

So basically it has to be small engine, can we go up to 1,2 1,3 or it will be to expensive.
    I heard then cars older than 10 years can be insured for young drivers?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I got a far cheaper quote on a 1.9TDI than 1.4 petrol when I started off as learner a few years ago. Engine size has little to do with it price wise. It's down to what car is high risk with what insurance company. You are playing a game of statistics of how many of what type of car they have on the books and how many of that car have accidents on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

stanleytli wrote: »
    So basically it has to be small engine, can we go up to 1,2 1,3 or it will be to expensive.
    I heard then cars older than 10 years can be insured for young drivers?
    Thanks
    +1 to CaptainChaos's comment. Engine-size & car-size not everything.

If you google "insurance groups" you'll get some info for the UK market. From calling Irish insurers, there's a reasonable correlation between the UK groupings and the Irish groupings (but they are different).

Note that things can be pretty binary: I was looking for various quotes for my partner. One make of car they wouldn't quote at all (or would only do so with a loading of +80% on premium), and on another model they'd quote reasonably enough. They explained one car was group 25 and the other was 23 (there's something like 50 groups). They wouldn't easily quote on group 25 cars for drivers with less than 3 years experience.

I had a 1.5 8V '00D Fiat Punto before. Was a very low insurance group at the time (like 7 or similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bcoff7

im 18 with provisional licence 6 months experience on the road. thinking of buying my own car under my dads name a 1.9 bora .. just wondering how much it would cost him to take out a third paety policy and have me as a named driver ? hes currently insured with axa with a 2.0 e200 only costs him about 400 a year 9+ years no claims

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

should be easy enough

call a few insurance brokers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bcoff7 wrote: »
    im 18 with provisional licence 6 months experience on the road. thinking of buying my own car under my dads name a 1.9 bora .. just wondering how much it would cost him to take out a third paety policy and have me as a named driver ? hes currently insured with axa with a 2.0 e200 only costs him about 400 a year 9+ years no claims

If you can even get a company to quote, and with what you have outlined above that will be near impossible, I'd expect a premium of a minimum of €3000 to €4000.

What you are suggesting is known as fronting, is fraudulent and every insurer in the country is wise to the practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bcoff7

yeah ive heard of that we tried it before and a local insurance crowd explained that we would need to swap around ownerships and let on that this is his only car.. i know its fronting yeah loads do it just wondering what a rough price would be

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of them will just load whoever on the policy is the highest risk whether you are the policyholder or named driver.

Nobody here can tell you as insurance is not universally priced the same for everyone. You or your dad will need to ring around, no short cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

your buying that bora since you were 16 going on your last 9 threads on the topic..Get over it...you have your provisional for the last 4/5 threads also...not bored yet of posting same nonesense every few months? Anyway..you just have to call all the companies..and do it properly like everyone else

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=748283&sort=newest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I know that each case is different but in a general sense, who are the more accepting insurers to cars over 15 years old?

I went with 25plus.ie last year for a 306 Diesel 1998, 430 last year, 1030 this year. Crazy increase.

I will be changing car soon but I like older cars so would like the option of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I know that each case is different but in a general sense, who are the more accepting insurers to cars over 15 years old?

I went with 25plus.ie last year for a 306 Diesel 1998, 430 last year, 1030 this year. Crazy increase.

I will be changing car soon but I like older cars so would like the option of that.

Is be interested in this too, I have a 00 corolla, and cannot get a quote anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

I don't have an overview, but I've insured relatively old cars with Axa without apparent prejudice. I was looking at a couple of bangernomics options in last couple of months, and plugging the car details into Axa's online quote engine, and could get reasonable enough quotes even on older machines (it didn't seem to be the defining factor).

I'd be interested in others' experience with Axa and other insurers on this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I don't have an overview, but I've insured relatively old cars with Axa without apparent prejudice. I was looking at a couple of bangernomics options in last couple of months, and plugging the car details into Axa's online quote engine, and could get reasonable enough quotes even on older machines (it didn't seem to be the defining factor).

I'd be interested in others' experience with Axa and other insurers on this topic.

My car was 600 last year with axa and is now over 1200, nothing had changed with anything else other than the age of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Any 23/24 year olds with 4 years NCB that drive 2009 / 3.0L V6?
    What's your insurance like? Think its possible to get insured for 2'000 - 2'500 Eur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My insurance is up at the end of this month, do I have to wait until I hear from them re their renewal price, or is it too soon to phone them about it? I'm eager to hear it, as I've a decent quote from elsewhere that I want to jump on sharpish if my current insurer aren't competitive...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Myrddin wrote: »
    My insurance is up at the end of this month, do I have to wait until I hear from them re their renewal price, or is it too soon to phone them about it? I'm eager to hear it, as I've a decent quote from elsewhere that I want to jump on sharpish if my current insurer aren't competitive...

Thought they sent it out 30 days before hand? But why cant they give the customer their renewal now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thought they sent it out 30 days before hand? But why cant they give the customer their renewal now...
    I believe they delay it to give you less chance to shop around.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

My thinking too. I'll phone tomorrow & see what they say...

Esel wrote: »

Legally they have to issue renewal terms no less than 15 working days before renewal date ie the policy holder has to have them at least 15 working days before its due.

If the insured does not have them in this time frame then the insurer is in breach of the consumer protection code and should be reported.

I went on my insurer's website and the quote for my renewal was already up. I had just enough time to get over the sticker shock, call around for quotes, accept one, and pay, before the paper form was shot through my door the next day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Myrddin wrote: »

Who's giving you the decent quote?!

Who's giving you the decent quote?!

BoI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 helqui

Not sure if i am posting this in the correct section (mods feel free to move if necessary) so here goes... we drive a crewcab as our daily and it is taxed privately(no issue here) but it is insured commerically and even when we first insured it we explicitly stated that it was for social and domestic only in the hope of getting a private policy... all companies that we contacted explained that it was a commerical vehicle regardless of private tax( here i have an issue) most wouldnt quote as we did not have a c2 cert etc. Now its renewal time and as you can guess its sky rocketed, we can only get two quotes as most are saying that we are not trades ppl / business owners etc. If it can carry 5 ppl and is taxed privately then a private policy should cover imo. Are there any people here in a similar position? If so what have you done
    Helqui

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SureWhyNotNow

If I sit around until I'm 25,meaning I would have my license for 7 years and no Insurance in my name,would that add any loadings in the premium or remain relatively reasonable for 25 year old new drivers?

Currently debating saving money for motorcycle+lessons or just waiting out until I can afford to insure a car.

If I sit around until I'm 25,meaning I would have my license for 7 years and no Insurance in my name,would that add any loadings in the premium or remain relatively reasonable for 25 year old new drivers?

Currently debating saving money for motorcycle+lessons or just waiting out until I can afford to insure a car.

Impossible to answer mate.

We are currently in the hard stage of the insurance cycle - increased rates, insurers prepared to lose market share, underwriting criteria tightened.

This will eventually level off, companies will balance their books, rates will reduce, insurers will vie for new business.

This has happened in the 80s, 90s, 00s and now its happening in the 10s.

The Warburg Clock (below) illustrates perfectly where we currently are, near 6pm

http://www3.central-insurance.com/CSRXchange/insuranceClock-lg.jpg

I'd expect in the next 6 to 12 months to reach the bottom of the barrel and then begin the ascent to the soft market.

There would be no penalty applied to you for having a licence but not being insured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

morning Lads
    I am currently in the "exciting" hunt for new insurance, however, quote send over to me by my actual insurer seems to be most competitive so far. Anyway among all papers Ive received there is one called "particulars of cover" which is a simple recap of all data used to provide the quote. On that paper, I found few mistakes, for example my occupation and, most important, no of years with no claims discount for real I have 7 on that paper there is 5. I rang broker and he said it does not change anything as occupation does not matter (I think this is a lie cause why would they ask for occupation in fact?) and second he said that 5 years that's maximum of discount I can earn on my insurer scale. Well when you are looking or quotation on some cases you can choose more years that 5. Im confused, what should I do with this?

Advertisement