Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

faral wrote: »
    morning Lads
    I am currently in the "exciting" hunt for new insurance, however, quote send over to me by my actual insurer seems to be most competitive so far. Anyway among all papers Ive received there is one called "particulars of cover" which is a simple recap of all data used to provide the quote. On that paper, I found few mistakes, for example my occupation and, most important, no of years with no claims discount for real I have 7 on that paper there is 5. I rang broker and he said it does not change anything as occupation does not matter (I think this is a lie cause why would they ask for occupation in fact?) and second he said that 5 years that's maximum of discount I can earn on my insurer scale. Well when you are looking or quotation on some cases you can choose more years that 5. Im confused, what should I do with this?

Don't worry about it. My current insurer told me I had ELEVEN years of no claims, but that the maximum discount was for "six or more" years. So long as I was over six, I was getting the most they could give me. My previous insurer had me as "five or more" years. Either way, I was getting the highest discount rate.

As for occupation not mattering, I am sure that the rep meant that it didn't change anything on your policy (occupations fall into risk groups, and your risk group was probably the same even after changing your occupation).

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

I'm having hard time getting insurance quote as lost my NCB, any one insured with them just have few question before I go ahead with quote

What documents they require when you purchase policy?
    Do they require NCT or Tax proof ?
    Do they accept Direct debit with partner bank account ?
    Any other thing they require ?

Any answer would be thankful

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

140490 wrote: »
    I'm having hard time getting insurance quote as lost my NCB, any one insured with them just have few question before I go ahead with quote

What documents they require when you purchase policy?
    Do they require NCT or Tax proof ?
    Do they accept Direct debit with partner bank account ?
    Any other thing they require ?

Any answer would be thankful
    I think you are asking about BOI here?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Just got my renewal from 25plus.ie. Almost a 200 euro jump on last year. Can't see me getting a better price anywhere else though due to an accident on my record from 4 years ago. Anyone recommend any cheap alternatives to 25plus?

Not very hopeful of getting a better price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

mossy464 wrote: »
    Just got my renewal from 25plus.ie. Almost a 200 euro jump on last year. Can't see me getting a better price anywhere else though due to an accident on my record from 4 years ago. Anyone recommend any cheap alternatives to 25plus?

Not very hopeful of getting a better price though.

Lots of insurers only ask for previous claims/accidents within the last 3 years. Hunt one down

• Advertisement

Lots of insurers only ask for previous claims/accidents within the last 3 years. Hunt one down

Thanks must take a look around. I went through a new quote with 25plus to see with the same details and it wouldn't quote me but referred me to their partner site www.boxymo.ie who are giving a cheaper quote.

I'll check around the more well known companies for one that only asks for details of an accident within the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

Hello all,

Quick question, I've just returned from overseas so I don't have any no claims or named driver experience most companies are looking for. Could one of my parents take a policy out in their name as owner of the car and put me as a named driver even if they already have insurance on another car? They would be using this car as their secondary vehicle so I have a feeling that it has to be your primary car etc?

Otherwise, any insurance company out their that will take a 31 year old with their licence for over 10years but no Irish driving experience in the past few years? Finding it very difficult! :(

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JamesFitz

Hi lads, I've been driving now for two years. I've had a policy in my own name for both of those.

I'm upgrading my car this year, because as it stands, I'm paying almost triple it's value in insurance.....

I always expected my first year to be expensive, but when my premium remained at over 2 grand I was unbelievably disheartened but I had to pay up as I needed to drive to and from college.

So this year, I'm upgrading my car. I've been thinking about getting something along the lines of a Corolla or a Focus but when I go to get a quote off of the likes of chill.ie, I'm being told I'll still have to pay 2000 euro.

Wtf is going on here? I know insurance is a farce for young male drivers, but seriously?! Am I doing something wrong or is it actually still that expensive? Then some of my friends tell me they're paying closer to 1000.....

Please help before I go insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is no silver bullet
    Try all the companies mentioned in the first post of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kiangriffin

I'm hoping plenty of you guys will come out and support the demonstration I've organised tomorrow week in Dulin. We have a chance to make a real difference here. SF, FF, AA are all behind it. It's been getting a massive push in the media recently and it's been referenced numerous times in the Dáil now. I'm in constant discussion with TD's from various parties so getting movement behind the scenes too but the demo next week is a chance to show the government just how many people are affected. If your pissed off with the insurance situation, come out and join us. Search "Ireland Underground" on FB for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 gleNine

Hello,

Moving to a 180 Octavia.
    Still waiting for the car to arrive, can anyone recommend and insurer?

The increase is large and I'm wondering if there is an option to use a european based insurer other than those in Ireland.

Does anyone have direct experience with this and feedback on pros and cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

What sort of quotes you getting? Insurance has increased significantly in recent months.

1300euro.
    Its not beyond reach, but I currently pay about 6 - 700 on the Golf if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

You mind me asking your age ncb etc? ive a 180 on the way in as well.

dashoonage wrote: »
    You mind me asking your age ncb etc? ive a 180 on the way in as well.

I moved to AXA (after a small claim that I should have paid myself really - but didn't realise at the time), they offered me to step back to 2 years no claims (protected). I'm with them 2 years so I assume that counts as 4 years. No points etc.

So many people waiting for 180's :D
    Hoping for the first / second week of July - waiting for an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If this helps I'm 33, full NCB, 4 points on a 152 one of them and paying €790 with FBD. I added full NCB protection and business use to the policy.

I could have gotten it cheaper with the likes of 123.ie but the policy wasn't as good. Next closest for me were the AA and BOI car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Try munstergroup.....it takes a while on the phone though! im with them two years and they have gotten me good quotes each year.

Do you know many waiting?

I wont have mine until Sept unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

gleNine wrote: »
    I moved to AXA (after a small claim that I should have paid myself really - but didn't realise at the time), they offered me to step back to 2 years no claims (protected). I'm with them 2 years so I assume that counts as 4 years. No points etc.

So many people waiting for 180's :D
    Hoping for the first / second week of July - waiting for an update.

I don't think that "complimentary" extra 2years ncb to bring you up to 4 despite only 2 and a bit since a claim counts with anyone else. Who knows. They just make this sh1t up really.

If an insurer asks you if you've made a claim in the last 3 years you should still declare it, they will still load you or may refuse no matter what your ncb.

Question: If there was a claim against me from an accident 4 years ago but that claim was only settled 1 year ago. Does this count as a claim in the last 3 years for the purposes of a new insurance quote?

Or does this relate to the actual date the incident occurred? Want to clarify this before going with a new insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

mossy464 wrote: »
    Question: If there was a claim against me from an accident 4 years ago but that claim was only settled 1 year ago. Does this count as a claim in the last 3 years for the purposes of a new insurance quote?

Or does this relate to the actual date the incident occurred? Want to clarify this before going with a new insurer.

You will give them the date of the incident, not the settlement date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Was just getting an online quote and by adding my partner (under spouse/partner option) it significantly reduces the premium as she has her own car,insurance and full clean licence with no points.

Thing is we dont have the same address but more or less live together and there is nothing on the quotation form asking where she resides.So my question is am I OK to proceed, will this scenario be accepted ? Thanks

NATLOR wrote: »
    Was just getting an online quote and by adding my partner (under spouse/partner option) it significantly reduces the premium as she has her own car,insurance and full clean licence with no points.

Thing is we dont have the same address but more or less live together and there is nothing on the quotation form asking where she resides.So my question is am I OK to proceed, will this scenario be accepted ? Thanks

Its not an issue, you can have names drivers on the policy no matter where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgreeableSir

Hey guys,

My car seems to be uninsurable by most companies (axa, FBD, Boxymo etc) online as my car has been off the road for 7 months now. If I ring would I get a different answer? Need help

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Try a local brokerage or xs direct. Would also defo recommend ringing for anything abnormal. Before I got websites not quoting me even though I had nothing wrong ie claims, penalty points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgreeableSir

richy wrote: »
    Try a local brokerage or xs direct. Would also defo recommend ringing for anything abnormal. Before I got websites not quoting me even though I had nothing wrong ie claims, penalty points etc.

Cheers thanks yeah I thought I should ring anyway but it never hurts to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

26 y/o male. Driving '05 Megane. Had a small tip last September, only €400, really should have paid myself. Lost my no claims and I can't seem to get a reasonable quote. Have jumped from €750 to €1,750. I really can't afford that. I have gone through a broker and everything. Please help/

26 y/o male. Driving '05 Megane. Had a small tip last September, only €400, really should have paid myself. Lost my no claims and I can't seem to get a reasonable quote. Have jumped from €750 to €1,750. I really can't afford that. I have gone through a broker and everything. Please help/

Ring your insurer and ask them about buying back your bonus.

Basically you pay them the cost of the claim, your bonus is reinstated and stricken from the record.

Its common enough and I'd be surprised if they had any problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Ring your insurer and ask them about buying back your bonus.

Basically you pay them the cost of the claim, your bonus is reinstated and stricken from the record.

Its common enough and I'd be surprised if they had any problem with it.

FANTASTIC! Thank you so much, I'd imagine i'd need to be paying this back prior to my renewal?

FANTASTIC! Thank you so much, I'd imagine i'd need to be paying this back prior to my renewal?

Yep, just ring them tomorrow, tell them that's what you want to do and have then requote you for your renewal.

You should also have more luck getting quotes elsewhere too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Yep, just ring them tomorrow, tell them that's what you want to do and have then requote you for your renewal.

You should also have more luck getting quotes elsewhere too.

Might be a good idea getting some quotes before you pay for the claim so you have reference numbers and you know what the premium will be!

Advertisement