Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easton area, Leixlip

Options
  • 21-02-2013 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at some of the homes for sale in Rinawade and Glen Easton estates at Easton in Leixlip. They look competitively priced, in what seem like settled and well kept areas. What do current or previous residents think of it as a place to live? Advantages and disadvantages? All comments and experiences appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

I personally live in castletown, but have a buddy who is renting in Rinawade and I am around there quite a bit. Seems like a quiet nice little place. Only downside as far as I can see is that depending on how far back you are from the main road, it can be quite a task to get out, weather you are driving or walking. There are no real shortcuts, so you have to follow the roads, a) can be confusing, b) makes the trip alot longer than anticipated.

But as far as the area goes, it seems quite safe, quiet and well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I live in Glen Easton. Very happy @ & no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Lot of rental in Rinawade (I rented there myself a good while back). Have heard it referred to locally as Rawanda, which I assume is a reference to the African community members living there.

Glen Easton has a lot less rental from what I understand and is also a nice estate.

My only reservation is lack of amenities and transport options on that side of town. i.e. No bus route, aside ironically from the Nitelink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Lived in Rinawade myself .Karlitto's comments are more accurate reflection than n97's .Bit of theft in Rinawade including one around 5pm in last year or so there .Population hitting teen years .Cant imagine Glen Easton is that much different .There are FAR 'rougher' estates nearby.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Lot of rental in Rinawade (I rented there myself a good while back). Have heard it referred to locally as Rawanda, which I assume is a reference to the African community members living there.

Glen Easton has a lot less rental from what I understand and is also a nice estate.

My only reservation is lack of amenities and transport options on that side of town. i.e. No bus route, aside ironically from the Nitelink.

I have never heard of it being called "rawanda" and i think anyone who actually does refer to this is quite pig ignorant. (not directed towards you, but whoever you heard it from btw)

With regards transport, the 66 (cant remember which one) does actually go right by the estate, it comes down by glen easton, riniwade, castletown and takes a right at the cop shop.

And the train is no more than a 10 min walk.

With regards to the amenities, I couldn't agree more.
    Lived in Rinawade myself .Karlitto's comments are more accurate reflection than n97's .Bit of theft in Rinawade including one around 5pm in last year or so there .Population hitting teen years .Cant imagine Glen Easton is that much different .There are FAR 'rougher' estates nearby.

With regards to the theft, over the past 2 years, there is a massive increase in crime, particularly late evening break ins. This is not isolated to Rinawade, but rather the general Leixlip and Celbridge area, celbridge being the worst.

In leixlip, the most targeted houses were the ones which back on to, or face the wonderful barn park. I have heared from some friends living in a house at the end of castletown that they heard some stones being thrown at the windows of their home at about 12 at night, not to break them, but rather see if there is an alarm. They also seem to be watching the houses to see if you are in or out.

But, having said all that. the number of breakins seem to have reduced as i have not heard nearly as much as I did 1 year ago about breakins.

• Advertisement

Karlitto wrote: »
    With regards transport, the 66 (cant remember which one) does actually go right by the estate,
    66X, and it's once a day.

And the train is no more than a 10 min walk.

In fairness I lived in near the back ,am fairly fit and would put it at more like 25-40 mins!It used take 5 minutes to RUN from my house in Rinawade to exit of estate .

Having said that you get used to the long , twisty drive to the back of the estate in no time .It was some craic in the ice !(All the new estates' roads seem to be made from ice friendly tarmac)Those Eastern European lads can sure pilot a BMW round a sharp bend on inch thick ice fairly lively!

n97 mini wrote: »
    66X, and it's once a day.

No no, I is a very regular bus, I think it is th 66b, which goes by the gaa club in leixlip, castletown, glen easton.

2011abc wrote: »
    In fairness I lived in near the back ,am fairly fit and would put it at more like 25-40 mins!It used take 5 minutes to RUN from my house in Rinawade to exit of estate .

Having said that you get used to the long , twisty drive to the back of the estate in no time .It was some craic in the ice !(All the new estates' roads seem to be made from ice friendly tarmac)Those Eastern European lads can sure pilot a BMW round a sharp bend on inch thick ice fairly lively!

My buddy lives at the back (probably closer to the exit than you) facing the wonderful barn, and it only takes us about 10 mins tops.

ANd yes, the ice was fun..... I live in castletown, and well, lets just say the roads were NOT new, and definitelly NOT ice friendly.

By 'ice friendly' I meant they have it plastered on at a sniff of a clear sky /chill.ALL the housing estates built in last 10-15 years are death traps in the ice !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The 66b goes up the Celbridge Road not the Easton Road so you just have to walk through Castletown to get it.

The 66b goes up the Celbridge Road not the Easton Road so you just have to walk through Castletown to get it.

As I said, I am not sure which one it is, but I am 100% sure there is one that comes up by the gaa glub, down by castletown and down by glen easton.

The better half used to get it home from college.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thanks all, very useful stuff

LB

No no, I is a very regular bus, I think it is th 66b, which goes by the gaa club in leixlip, castletown, glen easton.
    No, it goes through Castletown to HP. Not a great service either. Doesn't run on Sundays for example.

Advertisement